Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding Remote Window Close and Folding Mirrors

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 pm

According to the manual you can open the top from the fob if you have the Comfort Access system. If you haven’t got it Carly is unable to code it. I have SmartTop which enables this option. It will be interesting to see if Carista can do it. I have my doubts but what do I know! 🙂
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:23 pm

You need bmw option 322 to allow remote closure of the roof...after market modules accepted

It’s not clear whether 322 is a software only option that may be created by using an after market coder...seems so far nobody has shown that it could be done...

If it was pure software you would expect bmw own tool inpa to make it so...

I don’t have that option...I can lower the roof on the remote but not raise it..

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 pm

enzed4 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 am
Silverstar wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm
enzed4 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm Sorry, not sure how I missed that, although to be fair I wrote my comment from bed where I've been much of the weekend with a b@stard cold that's taken up residence in my lungs.
Anyway, I don't have comfort access so hopefully that shows S313A + Carly = foldin mirrors, same as Carista (but unless you already have Carly Pro, not worth an annual fee just to achieve that feature).NB - don't need dongle for Carly, cable works fine for coding

... Just out of interest when you connect with a cable do you need a windows laptop or can it also be done with a Mac?
Can't answer that sorry, I've only used the cable successfully with Windows (XP in an Oracle VM) running INPA and NCS Dummies, and Carly only running on Android devices. I haven't tried it with MAC or iOS devices.
Ok many thanks. :thumbsup:
mcbutler wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm where are you located, just ask someone with Carlynto pop over and code it..
That might a bit difficult since I am on the Costa Del Sol southern Spain! But in any case I've got the main things I wanted done, mainly window closure and folding mirrors with the key fob.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Carista wrote back to me today and they are certain that the roof should go up with the remote, told me to fiddle around with some of the codings to do with enabling windows up when putting the roof up or something like. Will give it a go in a couple of days. They also have the coding to adjust the speed at which the roof goes up, again I'll try that in a couple of days and tell you what happens.

My understanding was as Tinker15 and Pbondar said that unless you had comfort access option 322 then none of this including folding mirrors would be possible but anyway if Carista can sort this then it will be huge plus for a lot of owners.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 am

Silverstar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm Carista wrote back to me today and they are certain that the roof should go up with the remote, told me to fiddle around with some of the codings to do with enabling windows up when putting the roof up or something like. Will give it a go in a couple of days. They also have the coding to adjust the speed at which the roof goes up, again I'll try that in a couple of days and tell you what happens.

My understanding was as Tinker15 and Pbondar said that unless you had comfort access option 322 then none of this including folding mirrors would be possible but anyway if Carista can sort this then it will be huge plus for a lot of owners.
I think you've finally come to the crux of it. I didn't realise there was so much confusion over this option. My understanding, supported by what you mention above is:
1. Opening the roof is no problem, you do not need 'comfort access'. It can be coded with Carly et al.
2. Closing the roof can either be done by 'comfort access' feature, or specifically option S322A (thanks pbondar), or with a Smarttop module. As far as I have seen, it can't be done by 3rd party software such as Carly, Carista etc.
If anyone can prove otherwise, please post and let us know what needs to be done to enable remote closing of the roof via the key fob.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Leek78

Post by Leek78 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:56 am

I've Carista so will have to get on the Beta program and see if i can do the power folding mirrors and windows. I while back I asked someone who does coding to code this for me, but was told I don't have the comfort module so they was unable to code this.
2012 2.0 white S drive M sport, 19'' 9J & 10J M5 343 replicas, Diamond grill, i-drive, Stage 1, stubby, :thumbsup:

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:21 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 am
Silverstar wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 pm Carista wrote back to me today and they are certain that the roof should go up with the remote, told me to fiddle around with some of the codings to do with enabling windows up when putting the roof up or something like. Will give it a go in a couple of days. They also have the coding to adjust the speed at which the roof goes up, again I'll try that in a couple of days and tell you what happens.

I think you've finally come to the crux of it. I didn't realise there was so much confusion over this option. My understanding, supported by what you mention above is:
1. Opening the roof is no problem, you do not need 'comfort access'. It can be coded with Carly et al.
2. Closing the roof can either be done by 'comfort access' feature, or specifically option S322A (thanks pbondar), or with a Smarttop module. As far as I have seen, it can't be done by 3rd party software such as Carly, Carista etc.
If anyone can prove otherwise, please post and let us know what needs to be done to enable remote closing of the roof via the key fob.
You’re right! 🙂 I made a complete mess of my earlier post. I meant to say close the top not open it. I can now close my roof from the fob but only after fitting SmartTop. I would also be interested to see if Carista can do it. Time will tell! However, SmartTop does have other features which are very useful if not vital. Whether the cost can be justified is a personal choice.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Funny, I was just looking into the Carista app today. Does it have any diagnostic capabilities too? Or is it purely for coding?

Also I believe my 2009 35i doesn’t have option S322A, but I can get the roof to work with 3 clicks of the fob due to the SmartTop module the previous owner installed. 3x Unlock = Roof down. 3x Lock = Roof up.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm

Beeacon wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 pm Funny, I was just looking into the Carista app today. Does it have any diagnostic capabilities too? Or is it purely for coding?
It does diagnostics but I think its quite basic, from what I have seen it just tells you the module and fault code but I could be wrong since I am new to this.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, a quick update on this thread. I have tried various settings in Carista but I cannot yet get the roof to close with the remote key. It does however close when the key in inserted in the door and is kept in lock position.

In addition the speed limiter or removal of it works! I coded it to open close roof up to 30KPH and it works, you can code it up to 40KPH. Seeing what has been achieved so far with coding on Carista I still think that there must be a way to code the roof to close with the remote, I am still in conversation with Carista and if I manage to sort this I will update this thread.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I’m giving you 10 to 1 odds that Carly and Carista will never code your roof to close! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm I’m giving you 10 to 1 odds that Carly and Carista will never code your roof to close! :thumbsup:
I can't see any logical reason why, if it can code to close with the key, code to close the windows / mirrors with remote and code to close the roof at X MPH then I can't see why the roof can't close. But in any case if it doesn't happen I am not too bothered my main criteria was to close the windows and fold the mirrors which it has done BUT I thought if this can work it will help many others out without having to spend 200 or 300 on a SmartTop.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:57 pm
Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:36 pm I’m giving you 10 to 1 odds that Carly and Carista will never code your roof to close! :thumbsup:
I can't see any logical reason why, if it can code to close with the key, code to close the windows / mirrors with remote and code to close the roof at X MPH then I can't see why the roof can't close. But in any case if it doesn't happen I am not too bothered my main criteria was to close the windows and fold the mirrors which it has done BUT I thought if this can work it will help many others out without having to spend 200 or 300 on a SmartTop.
Well people wouldn’t be well selling boxes for £300 if you could flick a s/w switch and get it done for nothing...my offer still stands! :rofl:

I admire your selfless pursuit of the truth for the benefit of mankind...

When I was in product management in a dim and distant galaxy people like you were a curse we went to great lengths to defeat through obscurity, denial of information and any other obscurantism...

Carry on!

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:21 pm Well people wouldn’t be well selling boxes for £300 if you could flick a s/w switch and get it done for nothing...my offer still stands!

I admire your selfless pursuit of the truth for the benefit of mankind...

When I was in product management in a dim and distant galaxy people like you were a curse we went to great lengths to defeat through obscurity, denial of information and any other obscurantism...

Carry on!
Didn't they also say that about opening / closing the roof at speed? it could only be done with a module? or about folding mirrors? can only be done if you have comfort access option? Well as I keep reiterating I am not doing this for me but for countless others out there who may particularly want this functionality without having to fork out for an overpriced module which in my eyes it is!

People like me? seriously why does it pain you so much for this not to succeed? As far as I am concerned it's no skin of my nose, it isn't costing me anything apart from a few minutes coding various function and if it helps and works some people out so be it and if it doesn't, nothing lost heh?

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Er I think you need to take a chill pill..

I wasn’t belittling your efforts ..au contraire I was commending them...

Anyway since you are a sensitive flower I’ll bow out..adios..