Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coding Remote Window Close and Folding Mirrors

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello everyone. Ever since I got my 2009 Z4 back in May I have wanted to code it so I can close the window and fold the mirrors with the remote key fob. I didn't want to go down the Smartop route as I think it's very expensive for what it is and I don't really need a lot of the features for the roof. I also didn't want to go with Carly since I don't want to be paying a yearly subscription and also I have heard Carly only works if your car has comfort access which mine does not.

A few weeks ago I looked at BimmerCode as they have recently added the E89 to their list of compatible vehicles. I looked on their website and it indicated that remote window and mirror closure was possible for my car so I paid for the app and downloaded it but to my disappointment it didn't work! I contacted Bimmercode support but they told me it was a restriction in the car and they couldn't do anything about and told me to ask for a refund from Apple.

Whilst checking out the app store I came across Carista, which also indicated that remote window / mirror closure could be done and since they had a weeks free trial I decided to give it go seeing as I already purchased the bluetooth OBD tool. Yet again it didn't work, so I contact Carista's tech support. They were way more helpful then Bimmer Code and told me that looking it they believed some additional coding to make window / mirror closure was possible. They asked me if I would like to try their Beta program where they would be adding these coding and see if it works. So I did that and after a little bit of going backwards and forwards for the past couple of weeks, today they finally updated the app and finally I have now today window closure and folding mirrors with the remote key :D

According to the coding options it should also be possible to close the roof with the remote key fob although this did not work in my case. I have written to Carista about this and am waiting for their reply. It also seems to have options like selecting the vehicle speed at which you can put the roof up but I have yet to try that.

Like I say a lot of the new codes are still in Beta and am waiting to hear back as to when Carista will release them in the actual app.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 pm

I believe you can only get remote roof close using a smart top type module...

I’m now the proud owner of a Carly wi-fi dongle as I refuse to pay their extortionate annual fee..

I wonder if Carista can use it?

I see with Carista it still paying an annual fee..£34...

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Well I suppose it depends on what you think is extortionate. To fill my E89 with a decent quality petrol costs around £70. Of that the government takes around 66%; now that I do find extortionate! 😉
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:33 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 pm I believe you can only get remote roof close using a smart top type module...

I’m now the proud owner of a Carly wi-fi dongle as I refuse to pay their extortionate annual fee..

Like I said I am waiting for Carista to get back to me about the roof closure. You could try the Carly dongle since you already have it and Carista have a weeks free trial with their full package but I would wait for the new codings to be implemented in the actual app since it is only in beta at the moment. I didn't realise Carista was a yearly subscription, on the app store it doesn't really mention it but it does on their website, however the way I would use it is with their weekly pass which is £10, once the codings are done I don't see myself constantly using it throughout the year.

Tinker15 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 pm Well I suppose it depends on what you think is extortionate. To fill my E89 with a decent quality petrol costs around £70. Of that the government takes around 66%; now that I do find extortionate!
I am beginning to find almost everything on this Z4 extortionate. :-x

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:03 pm

Running any car is never cheap. As far as my E89 goes most of the expenditure has been self inflicted. I bought new 19inch wheels to replace the originals as they were 18inch and not staggered. Carly and the subscription came next along with a SmartTop purchased second hand from a forum member. An oil service was carried out for my peace of mind but that’s about it.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you on roof closing from the fob. Carly certainly can’t do it and as far as I am aware SmartTop is the only option if you want this feature.
Attachments
5DC5D223-0BF2-405C-BD3C-1432B7F76F64.jpeg
5DC5D223-0BF2-405C-BD3C-1432B7F76F64.jpeg (434.21 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:03 pm Running any car is never cheap. As far as my E89 goes most of the expenditure has been self inflicted. I bought new 19inch wheels to replace the originals as they were 18inch and not staggered. Carly and the subscription came next along with a SmartTop purchased second hand from a forum member. An oil service was carried out for my peace of mind but that’s about it.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you on roof closing from the fob. Carly certainly can’t do it and as far as I am aware SmartTop is the only option if you want this feature.

Mine has been very reliable so far but I am talking about the other things that are extortionate like the wind deflector, upgrade audio and other accessories. Hopefully Carista can solve the issue of the folding roof with the key fob but to be honest not to bothered about that one, my main concern was closing windows and folding mirrors, which they have managed to sort out.

How did you find the transition from 18" to 19" in terms of ride and handling? are you on normal tyres or do you still have run flats? I have the staggered 18" and I put on normal tyres just three days after buying the car and ride and handling have much improved. I know the 19"s look way better but how much of the ride quality (with normal tyres) will I sacrifice. Also looking to get the Eibach springs in the future too.

Tinker15

Post by Tinker15 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:44 pm

The 18inch didn’t have run flats but the tyres were pretty knackered. I went for Falken FK510 non-run flat tyres which I’ve found very good. To be honest the ride if anything is better than on the 18inch but that may be due to the tyres that were fitted previously.

Agree that some of the BMW ‘bits’ are expensive. Mine was well kitted out with options and the only thing missing that I would have liked was cruise control. I may look into retro fitting it in the future but it’s not a priority. I’m happy with the standard suspension setup and as the car has only done around 39k miles will be keeping it that way for the foreseeable future.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 pm Hello everyone. Ever since I got my 2009 Z4 back in May I have wanted to code it so I can close the window and fold the mirrors with the remote key fob. I didn't want to go down the Smartop route as I think it's very expensive for what it is and I don't really need a lot of the features for the roof. I also didn't want to go with Carly since I don't want to be paying a yearly subscription and also I have heard Carly only works if your car has comfort access which mine does not.

A few weeks ago I looked at BimmerCode as they have recently added the E89 to their list of compatible vehicles. I looked on their website and it indicated that remote window and mirror closure was possible for my car so I paid for the app and downloaded it but to my disappointment it didn't work! I contacted Bimmercode support but they told me it was a restriction in the car and they couldn't do anything about and told me to ask for a refund from Apple.

Whilst checking out the app store I came across Carista, which also indicated that remote window / mirror closure could be done and since they had a weeks free trial I decided to give it go seeing as I already purchased the bluetooth OBD tool. Yet again it didn't work, so I contact Carista's tech support. They were way more helpful then Bimmer Code and told me that looking it they believed some additional coding to make window / mirror closure was possible. They asked me if I would like to try their Beta program where they would be adding these coding and see if it works. So I did that and after a little bit of going backwards and forwards for the past couple of weeks, today they finally updated the app and finally I have now today window closure and folding mirrors with the remote key :D

According to the coding options it should also be possible to close the roof with the remote key fob although this did not work in my case. I have written to Carista about this and am waiting for their reply. It also seems to have options like selecting the vehicle speed at which you can put the roof up but I have yet to try that.

Like I say a lot of the new codes are still in Beta and am waiting to hear back as to when Carista will release them in the actual app.
Have you checked your VIN?
If you don't have S313A (Foldin Outside Mirrors), I'm not sure you'll be able to achieve what you're trying to do without the expensive smarttop module?
This may be the 'restriction' the first place told you about.
I programmed the mirrors (with Carly) to fold in automatically when I lock the doors (by holding the 'lock' button on the fob for a few seconds) but I don't think I could have done this without option S313A, which I have.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am Have you checked your VIN?
If you don't have S313A (Foldin Outside Mirrors), I'm not sure you'll be able to achieve what you're trying to do without the expensive smarttop module?
I programmed the mirrors (with Carly) to fold in automatically when I lock the doors (by holding the 'lock' button on the fob for a few seconds) but I don't think I could have done this without option S313A, which I have.
I have S313A folding mirrors and as per my original post they are now working with the remote key fob thanks to Carista's Beta program. Folding mirrors with remote key fob didn't work with BimmerCode or with Carista (until I got in touch with Carista). I was under the impression it would only work with Carly if you had the comfort access option (which I don't) but in any case I didn't fancy paying Carly 40 quid or so per year not to mention that their dongle is expensive too. The Veepeak dongle I bought was just $38 delivered (including shipping import duties / taxes) from Amazon and if you go via BimmerCode you can get either 10 or 15% off that price.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm
enzed4 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 am Have you checked your VIN?
I have S313A folding mirrors and as per my original post they are now working with the remote key fob thanks to Carista's Beta program. Folding mirrors with remote key fob didn't work with BimmerCode or with Carista (until I got in touch with Carista). I was under the impression it would only work with Carly if you had the comfort access option (which I don't) but in any case I didn't fancy paying Carly 40 quid or so per year not to mention that their dongle is expensive too. The Veepeak dongle I bought was just $38 delivered (including shipping import duties / taxes) from Amazon and if you go via BimmerCode you can get either 10 or 15% off that price.
Sorry, not sure how I missed that, although to be fair I wrote my comment from bed where I've been much of the weekend with a b@stard cold that's taken up residence in my lungs.
Anyway, I don't have comfort access so hopefully that shows S313A + Carly = foldin mirrors, same as Carista (but unless you already have Carly Pro, not worth an annual fee just to achieve that feature).NB - don't need dongle for Carly, cable works fine for coding.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm

enzed4 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm Sorry, not sure how I missed that, although to be fair I wrote my comment from bed where I've been much of the weekend with a b@stard cold that's taken up residence in my lungs.
Anyway, I don't have comfort access so hopefully that shows S313A + Carly = foldin mirrors, same as Carista (but unless you already have Carly Pro, not worth an annual fee just to achieve that feature).NB - don't need dongle for Carly, cable works fine for coding

Don't worry about it enzed, I've been under weather this weekend myself! hopefully will be alright for back to work tomorrow! Good to know that you can do it with Carly although like you say not worth the cost. Just out of interest when you connect with a cable do you need a windows laptop or can it also be done with a Mac?

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 am

Silverstar wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 pm
enzed4 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm Sorry, not sure how I missed that, although to be fair I wrote my comment from bed where I've been much of the weekend with a b@stard cold that's taken up residence in my lungs.
Anyway, I don't have comfort access so hopefully that shows S313A + Carly = foldin mirrors, same as Carista (but unless you already have Carly Pro, not worth an annual fee just to achieve that feature).NB - don't need dongle for Carly, cable works fine for coding

... Just out of interest when you connect with a cable do you need a windows laptop or can it also be done with a Mac?
Can't answer that sorry, I've only used the cable successfully with Windows (XP in an Oracle VM) running INPA and NCS Dummies, and Carly only running on Android devices. I haven't tried it with MAC or iOS devices.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Pbondar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 pm I believe you can only get remote roof close using a smart top type module...

Nope, mine closes on the fob, i think its something to do with a 'comfort module' option.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Silverstar wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 pm Hello everyone. Ever since I got my 2009 Z4 back in May I have wanted to code it so I can close the window and fold the mirrors with the remote key fob. I didn't want to go down the Smartop route as I think it's very expensive for what it is and I don't really need a lot of the features for the roof. I also didn't want to go with Carly since I don't want to be paying a yearly subscription and also I have heard Carly only works if your car has comfort access which mine does not.

where are you located, just ask someone with Carlynto pop over and code it..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:54 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:22 pm

where are you located, just ask someone with Carlynto pop over and code it..
I think he’s been saying that Carly wouldn’t do it? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold