Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Couple of questions from a new owner

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:10 pm

After my wife’s E85 was recently written off, thanks to the clueless driver of a Range Rover who was too focussed on the sound of parking sensors rather than checking her mirrors, a new car was needed.
The insurance company were far too efficient in dealing with it all so we had 6 days to source a replacement. Not the sort of pressure needed when you’re looking for the right car.

Nevertheless, I did find one - albeit an auto where the preference was for manual - but the specification, colour and price was right so a deal was done. The 2.5 straight six has now been replaced by a 2.0 turbo 4 banger.
I spent yesterday giving it a deep clean in an effort to get to know it (it needs another one as I don’t believe the interior has EVER been cleaned) along with a check all over and the usual hour or so to familiarise myself with all the functions and set it up.

I’ve read much conflicting information so here is what I need to know;

Diagnostics/Coding
My existing INPA is too old to use and is on a laptop which has seen better days. Is it better to get a newer laptop & software or are there other options (I’ve heard the name Foxwell being mentioned) to use as diagnostics? In addition, the car has auto fold mirrors which I would like to code to the alarm so they close when it’s activated.

Roof
There doesn’t appear to be a comfort circuit in place on this car which the previous E85 had. So, how do I go about having full closure of the remote fob - is another module required or can it be coded? I’ve read it’s also possible to have a ‘one touch’ operation off the dash buttons, too. Can that be done with coding?
EDIT: It will open from the fob but it won’t close.

Performance
Having been out of the BMW scene for some time, I’m trying to catch up on what can be done with this generation of engine.
Appreciably, a remap is the typical way forward but as this engine is available in multiple states of tune, are there any mechanical improvements on the engine side that can be made such as enlarged throttle bodies or manifold swaps to help increase performance?

Here are some limited pics of the car so far as it’s still not in a worthy condition to photograph properly. So much tar deposits on the lower part of the body means it needs another treatment and deep clean before waxing.
2013 2.0i sDrive MSport in Mineral Grey over Dakota red leather. Pretty much fully optioned with the exception of cruise control.
Attachments
659C99F3-ACFA-4FB1-9681-2EBD4762EAD3.jpeg
659C99F3-ACFA-4FB1-9681-2EBD4762EAD3.jpeg (510.42 KiB) Viewed 892 times
0DECBA37-C3D0-498F-94A3-8889296A2526.jpeg
0DECBA37-C3D0-498F-94A3-8889296A2526.jpeg (429.19 KiB) Viewed 892 times
A670058F-C185-4C54-8461-A3AC938DD3B2.jpeg
A670058F-C185-4C54-8461-A3AC938DD3B2.jpeg (467.4 KiB) Viewed 892 times

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Coding wise on the E89 most people either historically go for Carly as the easy /simple solution or the full INPA BMW pc based geeky option...I guess it depends whether you are into cosmetic type adjustments or deep coding/problem finding..others are available

You have to get an additional module if you want roof close on the remote..

Remap wise..it’s beeb beaten to death....the abridged summary is go to a quality / proven entity such as Celtic / Evolve and get the full monty version around 280 bhp done..don’t use a tuning box...as usual there are others with other opinions.. :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Great choice of colour and interior (great minds think alike)
I was in the same predicament as you regarding diagnostic equipment, I’ve just ordered a lead and full ISTA EDIABAS software, it should be arriving this week so obviously can’t comment on using it, although I do have VCDS for VAG cars so hopefully it will be similar, as said turbo engines are very tuneable it just depends how much you want to spend to achieve the performance you are after, start with a standard tune and then keep adding until you’re satisfied or get a 35is :D. I’m more than happy with mine I don’t think I could handle any more :driving: :)
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm Coding wise on the E89 most people either historically go for Carly as the easy /simple solution or the full INPA BMW pc based geeky option...I guess it depends whether you are into cosmetic type adjustments or deep coding/problem finding..others are available
I guess I could fall down the rabbit hole but ultimately, I’m more of the ‘better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it’ sort of owner.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm You have to get an additional module if you want roof close on the remote..
If it can’t be done by coding, I’ll probably leave it. It will be a rare occurrence that it’s used.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm Remap wise..it’s beeb beaten to death....the abridged summary is go to a quality / proven entity such as Celtic / Evolve and get the full monty version around 280 bhp done..don’t use a tuning box...as usual there are others with other opinions.. :thumbsup:
I was looking more at the possibility of using components from the higher capacity engines. Much like the M50 manifold which was put to great use on the M52 engines.

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 pm Great choice of colour and interior (great minds think alike)
I was in the same predicament as you regarding diagnostic equipment, I’ve just ordered a lead and full ISTA EDIABAS software, it should be arriving this week so obviously can’t comment on using it, although I do have VCDS for VAG cars so hopefully it will be similar, as said turbo engines are very tuneable it just depends how much you want to spend to achieve the performance you are after, start with a standard tune and then keep adding until you’re satisfied or get a 35is :D. I’m more than happy with mine I don’t think I could handle any more :driving: :)
Having good taste comes naturally :D

INPA is probably the way I’ll go. Would you be so kind as to let me know how you get on with it once you get it up and running?

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 pm

Coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 am

Liquid wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:09 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm Coding wise on the E89 most people either historically go for Carly as the easy /simple solution or the full INPA BMW pc based geeky option...I guess it depends whether you are into cosmetic type adjustments or deep coding/problem finding..others are available
I guess I could fall down the rabbit hole but ultimately, I’m more of the ‘better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it’ sort of owner.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm You have to get an additional module if you want roof close on the remote..
If it can’t be done by coding, I’ll probably leave it. It will be a rare occurrence that it’s used.
Pbondar wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 pm Remap wise..it’s beeb beaten to death....the abridged summary is go to a quality / proven entity such as Celtic / Evolve and get the full monty version around 280 bhp done..don’t use a tuning box...as usual there are others with other opinions.. :thumbsup:
I was looking more at the possibility of using components from the higher capacity engines. Much like the M50 manifold which was put to great use on the M52 engines.
Hi, as mentioned a smarttop module will give you roof up/down on the key and also enable one touch operation from the dash buttons https://youtu.be/9YALWutM-Cc
When you say higher capacity engines do you mean the 28i? If so they’re all the same capacity at 2litres :thumbsup:
Nothing mechanical is upgraded on the higher power variants and the bigger 6 pot engines have no interchangeable parts :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 am Hi, as mentioned a smarttop module will give you roof up/down on the key and also enable one touch operation from the dash buttons https://youtu.be/9YALWutM-Cc
When you say higher capacity engines do you mean the 28i? If so they’re all the same capacity at 2litres :thumbsup:
Nothing mechanical is upgraded on the higher power variants and the bigger 6 pot engines have no interchangeable parts :?
Rob
Thanks for the link on the roof.

I’m old school BMW so keep thinking of individual engines being available as opposed to one engine in various states of tune.

Thank, all.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 am

Liquid wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:10 pm ….
Diagnostics/Coding
My existing INPA is too old to use and is on a laptop which has seen better days. Is it better to get a newer laptop & software or are there other options (I’ve heard the name Foxwell being mentioned) to use as diagnostics? In addition, the car has auto fold mirrors which I would like to code to the alarm so they close when it’s activated.
I run mine on a netbook with a 1.6g Atom processor and 2GB ram and it runs fine, you can pick these up for peanuts these days.
Latest version that includes e89 is BMW Standard Tools is here... https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads
Latest (V66) Datens are here... https://mega.nz/#F!CQFUFa5L!IZHvX5RTaqBtyRim_rRo7g
Some Profile files here... https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjcqpzeh9bv76 ... s.zip?dl=0

Roof
There doesn’t appear to be a comfort circuit in place on this car which the previous E85 had. So, how do I go about having full closure of the remote fob - is another module required or can it be coded? I’ve read it’s also possible to have a ‘one touch’ operation off the dash buttons, too. Can that be done with coding?
EDIT: It will open from the fob but it won’t close.
As already mentioned above SmartTop will do that for you.

Pretty much fully optioned with the exception of cruise control. See my signature below :thumbsup:
In red :D
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks for the pointers.

I’m already up to speed with your CC retrofit. Great work!
I’ve mentioned it to the wife but she doesn’t use it as she only does local mileage as I do the long journeys in my cars. Nevertheless, I shall bear it in mind as I like to have as many toys at my disposal as possible. :wink:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Liquid wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:07 am Thanks for the pointers.

I’m already up to speed with your CC retrofit. Great work!
I’ve mentioned it to the wife but she doesn’t use it as she only does local mileage as I do the long journeys in my cars. Nevertheless, I shall bear it in mind as I like to have as many toys at my disposal as possible. :wink:
To be honest I don't use cruise much but for the price it was a no-brainer for me :D :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q