Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Water getting in above passenger seat bolster.

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi.as per title i noticed today rain getting in then dripping onto passenger bolster and where the seat fix,s to the floor.
I wondered why the bracket looked a bit rusty.
Is this common ?
Car still under warranty for next 2 month but ime not sure if that would be.
Thanyou

Chris1712

Post by Chris1712 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Not common, mine is perfectly water tight even under a pressure washer. Definitely get it into BMW while you've got the warranty!
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks the warranty is with a garage not bmw.
I searched round before posting .
Some others but more to do with getting in at bottom mine is at top of window then drip onto dide of seat

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 pm

Just checked passenger carpet side is soaked.

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:57 pm

You can easily adjust the seals with a 20 torx screwdriver, you just need a lot of time and water xD.
You can adjust both seals above the windows & the windscreen seal. On my car I've made the windscreen seal come out a little bit and adjusted the seals above the windows to go max to the back.

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Wish i had the know how.
Ive put a cover over her.
Is there anything on net showing how to

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Mine is the top of side window towards the front of car

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:04 am

Help is here

Adjusting the windscreen seal -> https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... p/AT5l5qo0
Adjusting the windows seals -> https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... f/8JGkTIxk

You just have to loosen the bolts a little bit so you can move it left or right (as required).

If you need to move the window seal in the back let me know, as that one is a little bit harder to get to.

P.S: After you moved it, you tighten it back up, and check for leaks in both sides that got adjusted. If required, redo the procedure till you get it right.

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks mate.
I will show that bit to garage.
I tryed with a watering can and none got in.
It ran in when driving

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Eh, you need some water pressure to thoroughly test it. Also keep in mind that, according to the driver's manual, you should never use a pressure washer directly onto the seals.

ALSO, you're probably gonna laugh, but as I was working on my seals my hardtop started giving an A68D error (the disease that all E89's have at one point in life - broken wires).

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Update.
In todays heavy rain.the rain comes in where the small joint is .you can peel it back.It is towards the front of the window at the top.
I noticed on the drivers side the rain channel is a lot wider than on passenger side where the problem is,like it is hard and compressed .
Can you just get a new seal that goes round the door and the small jointing part.?

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 pm

So you have three parts where you can adjust the window seals:
- With the roof completly down, you can access a seal alignment screw in the left and right part of the windscreen. (You tighten it to make it go outwards)
- After you align the one above, you can align the seal on the first shell by unscrewing 5 T20 screws and moving the seal (to the left or to the right as you look at it, to the front or to the back of the car).
- If, after modifying these two, you did not manage to make the leak go away (if you have a leak at the front, redo step 1 & 2, if you have it between seal 2 & 3 you continue with this step). Above the "small window" there are 6 T20 screws that you can play with as well, you can align that seal as well.

From what I did on my car, I believe only step 1 & 2 are necesarry and you should not change the seal at the back.

+edit P.S: After realigning put a LOT of water on the gaps to check if the water gets inside. (Check on the windows - small & big, on the windscreen and at the pillars that are around the windows)
+edit2: I am fixing my roof this week and i'm going to have to realign my seals as I've moved them a little bit to have better access - i will make some pics for you so you can see exactly what & how to align.
+edit3: You can buy a new seal for the first roof shell, but it costs like 500 euros, just check realoem, maybe you find your "problematic" part

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Thankyou.
That is way above my skills.
I have 2 months warranty left.
So at least i know where the water is when i take it in.
How many seals are there that go around the door opening in total ?
And roof where it meets the door.
Its the top seal on the roof bit that looks very compressed.
Thanks

Spawny lad

Post by Spawny lad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Ps there is no problem in the windscreen area

LordLolzeye

Post by LordLolzeye » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:16 pm

There are 3 seals that stop the water from getting inside from the top, the windscreen seal and one on both parts of the hardtop.
For the door opening area there is only one seal above it, but to fix that you might need to adjust all seals.

Also if you could make a pic of the seals and make a circle around where the problem is I can help a little more.