Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone fitted uprated Anti roll bars?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
9designs

Post by 9designs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:33 am

As title, such as Eibach front and rear bars.
57 Plate 3.0 Si Auto SilverGrey - Red Leather
E89 35iS Space Grey - Red Leather. SOLD
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD
54 Plate 3.0 SE Auto - Silver with Red Leather. SOLD

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 am

I fitted the H&R ARB to a 20i Msport.

Unfortunately I also changed the shocks to bilstein b8s and changed the wheels so difficult to baseline the specific effect of the ARB

Running conti sport 5p tyres

Overall result is a much more controlled ride, firmer but not uncomfortably so...slightly jiggly at slow speeds, more a kind of feeling for the road surface

Car doesn’t get out of shape in the above 60-70 bumpy swoopy bends.

Doesn’t bottom out anymore under normal high speed runs and corners more surely ...

Only thing is that a bump mid corner on one wheel can push the car more so than it did , but offset against that is an overall more planter sure footed feel..

Sorry for the waffle.. :rofl:

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Not waffle - that's informative :thumbsup:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:39 pm

David-H has done to his pervious 35i, with good results along with Eibachs as Pbondar above has.

Also Player-1 has done along with some M3 front arms amongst other mods. He reports a big improvement.

Be worth highlighting them for a read. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

9designs

Post by 9designs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks all useful info
56 Plate 3.0 SI Manual - Black with Red Leather- Scorpion exhaust, BC coil overs SOLD

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am

I did roll bars first, followed by the M3 control arms a few weeks later.
I'd echo the effects Pbondar has already described. Makes everything feel much more stable and gives a lot more confidence in the car. It is a bit more jiggly on bad surfaces but is negligible.

The M3 components are a different prospect, there a bit more involved when fitting but the results are improved steering feel and a big improvement in outright grip as the wheels aren't deflexing under load as they used to.

Taking part in the bmw clubs Welsh Weekend a little while ago I could easily hang with the M3's and M2's in corners. The half hour or so a 35is was following me, I was pulling a good 3-4 car lengths on each corner. Throughly recommended :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am I did roll bars first, followed by the M3 control arms a few weeks later.
I'd echo the effects Pbondar has already described. Makes everything feel much more stable and gives a lot more confidence in the car. It is a bit more jiggly on bad surfaces but is negligible.

The M3 components are a different prospect, there a bit more involved when fitting but the results are improved steering feel and a big improvement in outright grip as the wheels aren't deflexing under load as they used to.

Taking part in the bmw clubs Welsh Weekend a little while ago I could easily hang with the M3's and M2's in corners. The half hour or so a 35is was following me, I was pulling a good 3-4 car lengths on each corner. Throughly recommended :thumbsup:
WHich Roll bars exactly, can you place a link please?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:18 pm
Player 1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 am I did roll bars first, followed by the M3 control arms a few weeks later.

WHich Roll bars exactly, can you place a link please?
H&R

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=108512

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:08 pm

That's the ones :)

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 am

Thanks for the info Player1, also caught up with your thread on PH. Sounds like a must do mod.
Any pictures of the head light levelling bracket you needed to make.
Bit confused over the links discussion, needing something else fabricating on the rear ? Then the option of parts from Turner ?
Are you going to ZedFest ?

David-H

Post by David-H » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:02 pm

As john-E89 says, I did fit uprated ARBs to my 35i. This is what I wrote at the time:

"Together with getting rid of runflats, fitting Eibach PRO-KIT performance springs (part No 20109.140) together with Eibach Performance Stabiliser Bars (thicker than OEM front & rear ARBs) make a real and very significant difference to the handling! Springs lower the front by about 0.8" and the rear by 0.4" and stability, especially when cornering, is amazing!"
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

9designs

Post by 9designs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:14 pm

Was looking to keep OEM springs as I have the adaptive dampers and don’t want to spoil the ride.

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:34 am

9designs wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:15 am Thanks for the info Player1, also caught up with your thread on PH. Sounds like a must do mod.
Any pictures of the head light levelling bracket you needed to make.
Bit confused over the links discussion, needing something else fabricating on the rear ? Then the option of parts from Turner ?
Are you going to ZedFest ?
No problem at all, I'll try and stick a camera in there this evening and send you a message about the bracket :thumbsup:

Sorry, the rear droplinks are difficult to describe! The standard droplink has a rubber bush with a hole where the original roll bar pushes through, this is okay because its all part of the roll bar and can't pivot up/down.
The roll bars from the likes of H&R and Eibach don't have anything that pushes through the original bush, instead there's three holes and they expect you to put a bolt through the bush and tighten it up the their roll bar. This doesn't work because you will never be able to tighten the bolt fully as you're clamping a rubber bushing that'll deflex. You'll then get an element of up/down movement which negates the effect of the anti roll bar.
Hopefully that makes a bit more sense?

My solution was to make up new droplinks which consist of an eye that attaches to the axle and a rod end (similar to those on the front axle drop links) that bolts up to the new anti roll bar. That way there's no play so the anti roll bar can work properly.

I won't be at zedfest I'm afraid but the car is on the BMW club stand for the Silverstone Classic next weekend, happy to meet up there if you can make it. :)

9designs

Post by 9designs » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 pm

I found these, seemed to have kit purposed designed for the E89, plus other bushes and adjustment.
https://www.superproeurope.com/products ... cleid=1433

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 pm

9designs wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 pm I found these, seemed to have kit purposed designed for the E89, plus other bushes and adjustment.
https://www.superproeurope.com/products ... cleid=1433
Interesting...I assume these are similar to player 1 mods plus sort out the headlamp levelling issue..but they imply one kit for most EXX series cars and I thought the e89 was ‘handed’ differently?

Wonder on a 0-100 scale how much benefit comes from this kit and how much from their myriad of bush kits?