Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

USB port in glove box not reading any USB drives?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm

OK, so now I've got used to my new car I'm trying to copy music to the 12gb HDD Jukebox and the USB drive in the glovebox is not being recognised? The port has USB power but is not reading the USB drive?The arm rest USB port recognises the USB drive and plays music from it OK just not the glovebox.

The Cd/DVD player works ok and is copying audio tracks onto the Jukebox OK. Does anyone know what is wrong or is the USB port something that is a regular fault? (update: I think iDrive sees this drive as a backup drive only)

Steve.
Last edited by Kolobos on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 E89 28i MSport

Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:20 pm

UPDATE:
The USB drive has been formatted to FAT32 and is 8gb in size and I've copied 15 albums etc., to it.

iDrive has copied a CD to the Jukebox and also backed it up to the USB drive in the glovebox. I've now asked it to copy data from the USB drive it has now called USB1 to the Jukebox and it appears to be working. What a lark this has been! Why did iDrive report no USB device connected and then backup music to it? How pathetic, has anyone else had these issues.

I provide technical support as part of my job and this scenario is utterly nonsense 🤔

UPDATE 2:
Having time to digest what has been happening here, I believe the glovebox USB port is for a backup drive only and it will backup the music collection to a USB drive and will only copy everything from a USB drive all at once to the iDrive system, and then keeps all the albums in one folder and in the albums respective folder. Good and Bad points to this, at the end of the day I now have my music on the Jukebox. Going forward I may try putting a large capacity USB drive in the armrest and just update that regularly instead :)
2012 E89 28i MSport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:10 am

The USB port in the glove box is the way forward...simplest is to use an iPhone..

If you use a usb device be aware of total track limit based on the 4 usb devices inserted..

If you have problems with artwork and playlists ‘a clear’ needs to be done...I can explain it] if required

BeardyJon

Post by BeardyJon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 am

My understanding is that the USB drive in the glovebox is for iDrive updates ONLY so wouldn't recognise drives that don't have map data on them. The one in the centre arm rest is the one you need to use.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 pm

iDrive suggests that I use the USB drive in the glove box to upload music to the Jukebox and will not copy them from the USB port in the armrest.

Also noticed that when music is copied it creates one folder with all other folders embedded in it and whilst they do play OK the album art does not function. The solution I believe is to copy one album at a time (only put one on the USB drive at a time, rather than a multiple upload). I will test this over the weekend.

Steve.
2012 E89 28i MSport

Kolobos

Post by Kolobos » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Copying music onto the jukebox is OK if your not bothered about album art. Copying one album at a time makes no difference nor does just copying an album not in a folder but with album art.

Conclusion:
I'm going to stick with using a 16gb USB drive in the centre console, updating when necessary as the album art feature works OK here.

Steve.
2012 E89 28i MSport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Kolobos wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 pm Copying music onto the jukebox is OK if your not bothered about album art. Copying one album at a time makes no difference nor does just copying an album not in a folder but with album art.

Conclusion:
I'm going to stick with using a 16gb USB drive in the centre console, updating when necessary as the album art feature works OK here.

Steve.
You can also then keep your original playlists as well :thumbsup:

DR-Z

Post by DR-Z » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Kolobos wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:57 pm I'm going to stick with using a 16gb USB drive in the centre console, updating when necessary as the album art feature works OK here.
That's what I do. Miniature 64gb usb stick permanently left in, with maybe 300 albums on it. :thumbsup:

I don't need to use the hard drive. I do exactly the same in my 530d. Only downside is the idrive functionality in the Z4 is not as good as the 530, so playing an album is not as straightforward.
Z4 28i (E89 2014) - mineral grey
530d (F11)
Previous (most recent first)
BMWs: 330D, Z4 2.5si (2007), 535D; Marlin Sportster (M3 engine, self-build); 330D Coupe; 123D coupe; 520i; 523i.
Also: Audi A6 2.7tdi; Audi TT 225; Audi 100 avant; Porsche 944S

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:51 pm

I have had no problem using the glovebox usb to upload music to iDrive.