Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High Mileage advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
richy176

High Mileage advice

Post by richy176 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi, my son has a 20102.5 23iM Sport sDrive which has about 65k on the clock. It is his daily commute car but a change in location could mean an increase in his daily commute for the next year (possibly two years) to about 25k per year. He is now wondering if doing this high mileage is likely to lead to some very expensive repair bills in which case it might make sense to sell now and get a lower mileage diesel (would have to have decent performance).
I appreciate that any car can develop an expensive fault but wondered if there were any common ones as the mileage increases.
His journey would be 12 miles on country roads followed by 26 miles of motorway and then the reverse journey.One idea if he keeps the Z4 would be to change from run-flat tyres to regular tyres to make the motorway miles a bit softer/quieter.
Would you consider a Z4 this age and mileage suitable for his new commute?
Thanks for any input.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Only thing he should be concerned about is resale value if he’s gonna be piling on the miles.
If he looks after it, make sure engine oil is correct level and spec and pref has an intermediate change and doesnt abuse the clutch then he shouldnt have any problems.

I got over 250k miles from a 3 series 323i coupe as a euro-taxi doing regular trips between Poland, Norway, Germany and The Netherlands without any serious issue before I got tw@tted into by an old duffer in a VW sh!tbox.

I reckon I could have got another 250k miles out of it.
Point is, looked after properly and it will go to the moon and back easily.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Chippie

High Mileage advice

Post by Chippie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Unfortunately no one has a Cristal ball to foretell the future, but as far as I know common problems are injectors and fuel pumps. If you’re son is happy with the car I would suggest he keeps it until he either fancies changing it for something else or the running cost out way the pleasure and then change for something more economical
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by Jembo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 pm

As above.... Personally, I feel Z4’s have turned out to be very reliable save a few odd we’ll documented gremlins, so I would like to suggest an alternative question.

Would your son prefer to run a car he already knows well, say up to 150k & beyond knowing he won’t get too much back on it, but all those work miles would be driven with a smile on his face, or buy a 2nd hand car he doesn’t with the government planning a witch hunt for diesel owners after they told us to buy them to save the planet.

I’ve found most cars become more reliable the more u use them & by taking it to a recommended independent garage, the more frequent servicing won’t be too much of an issue every 15k.

Depending where on the planet u r, a second set of winter wheels will be an invaluable investment, firstly as my previous 3.0 was a PITA on Michelin’s under 5 degrees & secondly gives u an excuse to inspect your tyres properly twice a year.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:42 pm

I'll go against the run here and say get a reliable deisel, these cars can get expensive to maintain as they age, not to mention the huge fuel savings he will make going up to 25k miles per year... that said if he loves the car then why sell? Head decision go for a deisel.. heart keep the z4 :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

richy176

High Mileage advice

Post by richy176 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks for the replies - some good food for thought.

sw4nny

High Mileage advice

Post by sw4nny » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:02 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:41 pm As above.... Personally, I feel Z4’s have turned out to be very reliable save a few odd we’ll documented gremlins, so I would like to suggest an alternative question.

Would your son prefer to run a car he already knows well, say up to 150k & beyond knowing he won’t get too much back on it, but all those work miles would be driven with a smile on his face, or buy a 2nd hand car he doesn’t with the government planning a witch hunt for diesel owners after they told us to buy them to save the planet.

I’ve found most cars become more reliable the more u use them & by taking it to a recommended independent garage, the more frequent servicing won’t be too much of an issue every 15k.

Depending where on the planet u r, a second set of winter wheels will be an invaluable investment, firstly as my previous 3.0 was a PITA on Michelin’s under 5 degrees & secondly gives u an excuse to inspect your tyres properly twice a year.
This,I used mine to 144k miles ,daily driver , if your driving for 2 hours a day then enjoy them.
I have not had any major problems or expenses in six years just the normal wear and tear you would get with any car
The car is still running strong with another owner .and just passed mot with no advisories,just my experience 👍
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:11 pm

My 2009 23i is my daily drive, have taken it from 29k to now 82k without any major problems, just the usual suspects like the boot problem and tail light moisture.

JimsZ

High Mileage advice

Post by JimsZ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Currently doing 80 mile round trip every day in my 28i and love it.done 12 months and around 15k, roof down all weathers except extreme cold or rain and can’t do that in a solid top.

Returns 440 miles to a tank unless the traffic plays up on a good week. On a bad week nearer 370.

Weekend fun as well at the drop of a hat.

Best of both worlds IMO keep it and just make sure you stay on top of the services
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by john-e89 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Keep putting fresh oil in regularly and there’s no particular reason why it won’t see 500k Miles trouble free bar normal wear and tear and the odd hiccup. Diesels are plain nasty...
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

High Mileage advice

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:08 pm

If he likes his Z4 I'd say keep it so long as the fuel costs aren't going to cripple him.

I bought an E91 last year with the same 2.5 litre N52 engine that had done 132K miles and ran it for a year. I only had 2 issues, one was the dreaded electric water pump dying at 135K and the other was the battery in January, but then it was the original 13 year old one. :o

It was still running just fine when I sold it this year on 139K miles - I only sold it because I fancied a 330i! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

High Mileage advice

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm

The Zed should be fine doing that for couple of years, with regular maintenance. But a decent diesel will save a small fortune in fuel bills?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

High Mileage advice

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 pm

buzyg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm The Zed should be fine doing that for couple of years, with regular maintenance. But a decent diesel will save a small fortune in fuel bills?
Really? If he's sensible with his right foot?
I'm averaging 38mpg in the zed these days. Combination of town and motorway driving. Not so many miles admittedly but I drive like a nun and it's paying dividends for economy if not for sh!ts n giggles....
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

High Mileage advice

Post by buzyg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:47 pm
buzyg wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 pm The Zed should be fine doing that for couple of years, with regular maintenance. But a decent diesel will save a small fortune in fuel bills?
Really? If he's sensible with his right foot?
I'm averaging 38mpg in the zed these days. Combination of town and motorway driving. Not so many miles admittedly but I drive like a nun and it's paying dividends for economy if not for sh!ts n giggles....
Indeed but a modern diesel will do 50+ mpg. If driven in a similar manor.

Not that I dive in such a manner, or own a diesel. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

High Mileage advice

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:59 pm

My Z4 doesn't commute so isn't out in the rush hour, and most trips are 35+ miles each way - the OBC is showing an average of 33.2mpg.

Before I saw the light I had a 123d for 6+ years and that "only" showed an average of 48.7mpg.

OK the Z4 uses more fuel, but it's a price I don't mind paying for the sound-track and the whole driving experience. :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black