Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Album Art Over USB?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
sunnydays

Album Art Over USB?

Post by sunnydays » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:41 pm

When playing music off a USB on the Idrive, is it possible to see album art? Currently not seeing any, does it need to be in a specific format?

Thanks

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Album Art Over USB?

Post by ronk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm

I copied my iTunes library into an Mp3 converter and put the entire lot onto a 32Gb Usb - some artwork is there and some not - as I tend to use a map display on the main section of the screen and the location details on the small section it doesn't really bother me unless I'm looking for a particular track.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Album Art Over USB?

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I used windows media player to a 32gb usb stick about 4400 songs in wma format at 256 Kbps quality

About 2/3 of the folder art that appears in almost all my main wmp folders which are in ALAC format appear on the usb when played quite why some don’t get rendered beats me

Dr-Jon

Album Art Over USB?

Post by Dr-Jon » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm

the album art needs to be in the mp3 tag, this is like a small library in the mp3 file that holds the data about the file, track name , artist, album, track number etc, this is where the album art needs to be. I use tag&rename to add art work to my mp3's there are other programs that do the same thing, some are even freeware.
But that might not be your problem.. before I had a combox fitted in to my z4 I could not see the album art, and after fitting and coding the art work is now visible. So if you don't have a combox fitted you wont see album art.
Hope this helps
Jon
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

sunnydays

Album Art Over USB?

Post by sunnydays » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:13 pm

Dr-Jon wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 pm the album art needs to be in the mp3 tag, this is like a small library in the mp3 file that holds the data about the file, track name , artist, album, track number etc, this is where the album art needs to be. I use tag&rename to add art work to my mp3's there are other programs that do the same thing, some are even freeware.
But that might not be your problem.. before I had a combox fitted in to my z4 I could not see the album art, and after fitting and coding the art work is now visible. So if you don't have a combox fitted you wont see album art.
Hope this helps
Jon
Thank you, I suspect this is the issue, as the files are all tagged and have the relevant art work etc. Thanks everyone for the info :)

Pbondar

Album Art Over USB?

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:37 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:34 pm I copied my iTunes library into an Mp3 converter and put the entire lot onto a 32Gb Usb - some artwork is there and some not - as I tend to use a map display on the main section of the screen and the location details on the small section it doesn't really bother me unless I'm looking for a particular track.
Shame on you Ron :thumbsdown:

If you use split screen put nav on the main and put media playing in split sub screen then assuming you have a route loaded
It automatically puts up turn directions in the sub screen as you approach a turn then puts back your cool album art afterward.. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Album Art Over USB?

Post by ronk » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Thank P, I will give that a try - I normally use location in the sub screen so I can give a answer to the “where are you“ question!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Album Art Over USB?

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:34 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:51 pm Thank P, I will give that a try - I normally use location in the sub screen so I can give a answer to the “where are you“ question!
:thumbsup:

Trouble with software is there is usually n ways to do something..