Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remapping a 30i MSport

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:47 am

This ‘take off delay” is a complete mystery to me. The N52 is a superbly responsive engine right out of the box. Basically if I blip the throttle in neutral I get a pretty instant response...in terms of the map that’s all that comes into it. While many of the modern stuff doesn’t even respond in terms of engine revs...I mean you can literally stamp the throttle to the floor in neutral and if you do it quickly enough the revs don’t even move! Not the Z4 though.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

gwatson

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by gwatson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:08 am

ProfCJJ wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:43 pm Well, I have gone ahead and booked remap with Celtic Tuning, they will come in just under a month. I am aware the any BHP gain are likely to be small, but I gather that the other gains mentioned above and on other discussion fora make a remap and positive experience. Worst case, if I don't see any sort of change that I can detect I can opt to have it put back to stock and get my money back :
Look forward to your review.
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

Silverstar

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Silverstar » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:44 pm

looking forward to your review too!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

mcbutler

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by mcbutler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm

gwatson wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:08 am
ProfCJJ wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:43 pm Well, I have gone ahead and booked remap with Celtic Tuning, they will come in just under a month. I am aware the any BHP gain are likely to be small, but I gather that the other gains mentioned above and on other discussion fora make a remap and positive experience. Worst case, if I don't see any sort of change that I can detect I can opt to have it put back to stock and get my money back :
Good choice of tuner, one of the best, they write there own software in house and you will get a 12 month warranty against any map related damage. You can also drive away and pay nothing if you're not happy so bear that in mind.
With mapping people always concentrate on BHP, this is far from the reality of mapping. Torque is of primary importance as is how the power is delivered.
I had my 23i mapped by Celtic, i got around 7-8 BHP but the power delivery curves for both torque and BHP were radically different.
Torque is what gives the car its real grunt, that kicks you back in the seat, the smoother the delivery of said torque the more 'driveable' the car.
I am quite sure you will appreciate the difference post map, plz post a scan of the dyno reading after its done.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Silverstar

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Silverstar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:24 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:21 pm
gwatson wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:08 am
Good choice of tuner, one of the best, they write there own software in house and you will get a 12 month warranty against any map related damage. You can also drive away and pay nothing if you're not happy so bear that in mind.
With mapping people always concentrate on BHP, this is far from the reality of mapping. Torque is of primary importance as is how the power is delivered.
I had my 23i mapped by Celtic, i got around 7-8 BHP but the power delivery curves for both torque and BHP were radically different.
Torque is what gives the car its real grunt, that kicks you back in the seat, the smoother the delivery of said torque the more 'driveable' the car.
I am quite sure you will appreciate the difference post map, plz post a scan of the dyno reading after its done.
I would imagine if you noticed a difference in how the car drives / performs in a 23i then it should also be noticeable on the 30i too.

ProfCJJ

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:08 pm

As they will be coming to my home address to upload the tune there will be no Dyno unfortunately - they do offer a go on the Dyno but I have to go to them (I'll see if I can go at a later date perhaps?). The expected changes are based on a standard engine (I guess in good nick) and so the gains are "advertised" - I'll know if they are there by (hopefully) driving the car.

Its interesting how people differ, I've heard people say there is no discernible difference between NORMAL and SPORT mode. where-as for me I ALWAYS engage sport mode, the throttle response and steering I find to be detectably different and "positive". I am hoping that I will be able to sense these type of difference after the map.

I will keep you all posted. I just had them on the phone actually, to adjust the time slightly as apparently the BMW ECUs take quite a while uploading and so its now up to a 2.5 hour appointment as opposed to 1 hour!
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Dave 2 dogs

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:35 pm

ProffCJJ
had a Celtic remap recently on my 3.5i
If you have it done, then ask for it to be put back to stock ... I’ll be amazed.... I KNOW it’s a different engine to mine, but even so , I’d put money on you wanting to keep the remap due to grin factor :D
You don’t have to drive it crazy all the time, just knowing the response is there is enough for when you want it , ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE :thumbsup:

ProfCJJ

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Celtic Tuning came and spent a couple of hours downloading then uploading the new map to my Sdrive 3.0i last Friday (it was bally freezing outside!). All proceeded well without a hitch - I took it for a quick spin to see that all was well just afterwards but I wanted to delay judgement until after I had driven it a bit more.

Well, yesterday I did a longer 300 mile trip along a mix of B-roads, A-roads and Motorway and now I can comment. It certainly makes a difference - I was not expecting to feel any massive changes in BHP (what with the huge 18 BHP gain I have on paper! :D) and I didn't! However - what everyone says about "take up delay" is true - even in "normal/comfort" mode you can feel better throttle response. I tend to drive in Sport mode all the time and in Normal mode it now feels close to Sports mode in terms of Sport mode - it then gets better when you put it into sports mode. It feels less "jittery" when pulling away - I also feel that the delivery across the rev range is better more constant and it keeps pulling more consistently instead of falling away at higher revs. I have also definitely noticed a sportier/ raspier exhaust note coming from that nice 6 cylinder in-line engine :) Also - and this may be more to do with the weather conditions (it was 2 degrees C last night on my way home) - last night for the first time I was accelerating out of a roundabout (well within the 30 mile an hour limit!) and the back end twitched and kicked out! I corrected it - wasn't going that fast - but I wondered where that had come from!?! It's never really happened before.

So all in all the remap is performing as I was led to believe it would. I could not see any massive drop in mpg (based on one 300 mile trip though so will keep monitoring that) - I currently average around 32-34 mpg from memory. The car just feels more responsive and more "alive" - I would drive in Sport mode to get that feel before, now you get more of that in Normal mode ... but I still prefer Sport mode :D

So I am happy with what I have got and if you feel the above outcomes are "good enough" for you then I recommend the remap.

HTH
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Silverstar

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Silverstar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:58 pm

From what you have said and also the experience of another forum member who has had this done to his 30i, it certainly seems worthwhile doing. You say it seems not to have affected the MPG but it will be interesting to see if it is affected in any way over the next few days / weeks. I wonder how the car would drive with this remap plus the XHP Flashtool if the car has the auto box. Incidentally I notice a change in exhaust note when I put the car in sport mode, it sounds somewhat angrier! :-D then again it could be just me!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, the forum member on the other thread seemed pleased with the results too!

Anyway it's quite possible a remap may add a bit more power to an N52 E89 than an E86, seeing as the E89 got a 255 bhp version of the engine but the E86 got a 261 bhp version. According to Wiki there was a 268 bhp version as well that was used for the E92/3, X3 and X5.

I imagine the only difference between the three is the mapping, so just getting the 268 bhp mapping ought to give you another 13 bhp.

I'm starting to wonder about getting my 330i done now!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by ph001 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm

The difference between the models is mainly the breathing - the bigger cars like the E92, X5 etc have a different airbox design and also exhaust is significantly modified.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:26 pm The difference between the models is mainly the breathing - the bigger cars like the E92, X5 etc have a different airbox design and also exhaust is significantly modified.
Oh right - that's a shame. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Yoghurt

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by Yoghurt » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi
Can I ask how much you insurance changed by after the remap? Thanks
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

ProfCJJ

Remapping a 30i MSport

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:45 pm Hi
Can I ask how much you insurance changed by after the remap? Thanks
I’ve not told them yet as I’m currently overseas - I’ll let you know when I do.

Cheers
---
Christopher