Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pre vs Post Facelift reliability/issues ?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mavster

Post by Mavster » Sun May 19, 2019 11:28 am

I was looking at the E89 issues threads, and am now thinking of taking out a decent warranty :o
Has anyone noticed if the facelift from 2012/3 reduced the list of common issues experienced or is the common issues occurrence largely unchanged with the LCI till date ?

Cheers
Steve
E89 35iS

step_change

Post by step_change » Sun May 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Dunno, but deffo get the warranty IMO and sleep easy. Get the £100 excess too so that you *will* take it in for any issues and not debate the £250 excess and whether it is worth it. Mine is post face-lift March 2013 build 35is and I have a couple of issues at the moment that may need warranty work and these are not cheap issues.

1. Very slight oil leak - look at my E89 problems thread. Seems ok now but I am not convinced and may need expensive work to be done - expensive i.e. £2-3000 expensive. Maybe. Under monitor.
2. Other day whilst reversing into my garage a "tyre pressure sensor system inactive - take to workshop immediatly" just flashed up out of the blue. Turned ignition off, turned back on and was OK. Been ok since but these issues do not invent themselves and something is probably on the way out and about to kick out a big bill.

Roof issues, active suspension strut issues (if you have that fitted), tail gate lights flooding, boot seals etc all well known issues with E89. Not trying to scare you and maybe you will not have any issue at all. You have to balance it in accordance with your own financial circumstances and make a call as to whether it is worth it. I knew all these things when I bought my E89 and would not have dreamed of owning this car without a warranty.

On my £4k E86 i never bothered and if it kicked out a mega bill I would have flogged it to a breakers.

Adding some food for thought for you. Good luck with the decision and most of all enjoy your E89 if you get one. I love mine.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun May 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Mavster wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:28 am I was looking at the E89 issues threads, and am now thinking of taking out a decent warranty :o
Has anyone noticed if the facelift from 2012/3 reduced the list of common issues experienced or is the common issues occurrence largely unchanged with the LCI till date ?

Cheers
Steve
The LCI did not, in itself materially change reliability...there were a series of running changes to chassis n engines..so a truism is that newer models benefited from these changes but there was no big event..

The 35i engines are well documented for their coronary inducing ability if it’s not your day..some people are lucky, but over the long run, fuel pumps, turbos, coils, shocks and earlier injectors go with fairly well documented frequency...so the warranty on the 35i seems a good idea , on balance..

On the N20 and non 35i not so sure...I’m building my reserve by pre-emtively acquiring latest versions of various bits, oil pumps, cam chains etc..

Mavster

Post by Mavster » Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 am

ok. checked on BMW. only being offered the £100 xs option so went for that.
E89 35iS