Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cheap OEM+ Speaker Upgrades? (HiFi)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mholt1995

Post by mholt1995 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Hello,

I'm due to take on a friend's Z4 for a year or so in July and am looking for cheap(ish) improvements to make whilst it's mine.

So far I've already got a map update and the cruise control retrofit in mind but whilst the sound quality was okay (it's the medium system, with tweeters in the doors), I'm coming from an A4 with B&O so have unrealistically high standards.

I've had a look at the likes of Bavsound and Audison but their stuff is a bit pricey for my liking. Not looking to hack at any wiring, just plug and play stuff that can be achieved with a screwdriver set and trim removal tools.

Therefore my question is, can the woofers (footwell and door) and tweeters be upgraded to the Top HiFi equivalent for a noticeable improvement in sound quality? Availability seems to be hit and miss but looks like you can get all 6 for £200 when they come up.

I've also heard of just upgrading the door woofers to Mini ones but unsure if I've been looking at the right ones (65133428196). Can get a pair of these for £20 so if there's sufficient upgrade in that then I'd be more than on board.
2010 E89 30i Deep Sea Blue
Ex- 2010 E89 35i Space Grey (LD10 AFN)
Ex- 2003 E85 25i Sterling Grey (YK03 DUL)

JimsZ

Post by JimsZ » Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm

mholt1995 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm Hello,

I'm due to take on a friend's Z4 for a year or so in July and am looking for cheap(ish) improvements to make whilst it's mine.

So far I've already got a map update and the cruise control retrofit in mind but whilst the sound quality was okay (it's the medium system, with tweeters in the doors), I'm coming from an A4 with B&O so have unrealistically high standards.

I've had a look at the likes of Bavsound and Audison but their stuff is a bit pricey for my liking. Not looking to hack at any wiring, just plug and play stuff that can be achieved with a screwdriver set and trim removal tools.

Therefore my question is, can the woofers (footwell and door) and tweeters be upgraded to the Top HiFi equivalent for a noticeable improvement in sound quality? Availability seems to be hit and miss but looks like you can get all 6 for £200 when they come up.

I've also heard of just upgrading the door woofers to Mini ones but unsure if I've been looking at the right ones (65133428196). Can get a pair of these for £20 so if there's sufficient upgrade in that then I'd be more than on board.
Welcome to limited options and a costly solution...

Few handy links in a topic I prepared earlier
👇

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=112579
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

mholt1995

Post by mholt1995 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 am

JimsZ wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:35 pm
mholt1995 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm Hello,

Welcome to limited options and a costly solution...

Few handy links in a topic I prepared earlier
👇

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=112579
Perfect, thanks- I did look at this topic before but didn't realise there was a second page...

Ok then, looks like I'll have to suck it and see with the existing system for a while- I could end up enjoying just hearing the engine noise (35i model) instead. It certainly wasn't bad I suppose but I'm very much used to having my music loud and heavy in the car!
2010 E89 30i Deep Sea Blue
Ex- 2010 E89 35i Space Grey (LD10 AFN)
Ex- 2003 E85 25i Sterling Grey (YK03 DUL)