Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just had my Z4 20i Mapped to 280BHP by Celtic

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
boatyhacker

Post by boatyhacker » Fri May 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks for the report. I’m waiting for my warranty to run out too and then plan on doing the same. Good to know that the performance feels like what is being advertised!

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Msport wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:46 pm Wow- what a difference :thumbsup:

Bought this car about a month ago, knowing it has the exact same engine as the 28i but with de-tuned ECU.

Waited a month for this, and today was the day Celtic Tuning arrived at my workplace to unleash the power on my vehicle, and WOW.. what a difference!

I was instructed to take the vehicle on a test drive after completion of the re-map, and it instantly put a grin on my face, the car has been completely transformed into a different animal.

My other half noticed the improved performance instantly ( I didn't tell her about the re-map), I said it was down to the car being "serviced" today :rofl: :thumbsup:
How much was it? Can it be done remotely?
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

syyzed

Post by syyzed » Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Serious gains, just requested a quote on my 28i :)
E89 Z4 2.8i M Sport.

Msport

Post by Msport » Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 pm

It cost £295. And yes, they came to my work for that and did the remap. To answer other people's questions, I'm not 100% sure but I think they did remove the ECU to do it- it took them about 2 hours. Difference was night and day after and no fault codes or problems since. I even get better MPG now (when not booting it) because of the increased torque. If your map ever gets wiped, for instance if you take it to BMW and they update the software on a routine service, they will come to you and put it back on for £75. Highly recommend it, loving the extra power and torque.. feels like the car should be from stock. Insurance cost £50 extra.
Amg01 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Msport wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:46 pm Wow- what a difference :thumbsup:

Bought this car about a month ago, knowing it has the exact same engine as the 28i but with de-tuned ECU.

Waited a month for this, and today was the day Celtic Tuning arrived at my workplace to unleash the power on my vehicle, and WOW.. what a difference!

I was instructed to take the vehicle on a test drive after completion of the re-map, and it instantly put a grin on my face, the car has been completely transformed into a different animal.

My other half noticed the improved performance instantly ( I didn't tell her about the re-map), I said it was down to the car being "serviced" today :rofl: :thumbsup:
How much was it? Can it be done remotely?

superdot

Post by superdot » Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 am

Probably not worthwhile doing on a 28i is it?

Msport

Post by Msport » Fri May 17, 2019 11:56 am

I'd say it was, 28i is 245bhp as standard and Celtic Map it to 295bhp, that is a 50bhp gain and should be very noticeable.. not sure why it maps higher than the 20i, some say the ECU is different (engine identical)
superdot wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:11 am Probably not worthwhile doing on a 28i is it?

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Do they do any sort of test beforehand to see current figures and if there are problems with the engine, or do they simply rock up, do the software upgrade and go? How do they know what power you end up with, for your particular car (or doesn't it work like that)?

The website says they are in Newquay, I'm North Devon so travelling to them would be reasonable.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Msport

Post by Msport » Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm

They check out any fault codes on your car to establish if it's good to be tuned. Mine didn't have any so they went straight ahead. Their head office is in Newquay where they have the rolling road facilities and do all the maps, research etc on the rolling road etc, but then they have a mobile van service that visits different parts of the country to carry out remaps at your chosen destination using the map developed for your engine in their head office, that's why there is often a longish wait for home visits- I had to wait a month to get mine done. They won't check your before and after power if you get a home visit, but given the map has been designed for the N20 engine results are likely to be pretty consistent, and besides rolling roads can vary considerably so really not much point getting a rolling road session unless you're looking to see how incremental mods affect your vehicle. Power feels in the range quoted and I'm happy with it, which is all that matters really. Should be there or there abouts, fair few on here with Dyno results around the 280bhp range. If you take to newquay though and get done at their head office I think they will put your car on a Dyno :thumbsup:
ihadablackdog wrote: Do they do any sort of test beforehand to see current figures and if there are problems with the engine, or do they simply rock up, do the software upgrade and go? How do they know what power you end up with, for your particular car (or doesn't it work like that)?

The website says they are in Newquay, I'm North Devon so travelling to them would be reasonable.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat May 18, 2019 11:59 am

Msport wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 pm If your map ever gets wiped, for instance if you take it to BMW and they update the software on a routine service, they will come to you and put it back on for £75.
Been planning a re-map for the end of this year, but had never considered it could be wiped?
Is this a fact?
Has anyone had this issue?
Is it a Celtic thing, or will Evolve, for instance, have the same issue (and be prepared to put it back on again?)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat May 18, 2019 3:28 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:59 am
Msport wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 pm If your map ever gets wiped, for instance if you take it to BMW and they update the software on a routine service, they will come to you and put it back on for £75.
Been planning a re-map for the end of this year, but had never considered it could be wiped?
Is this a fact?
Is it a Celtic thing, or will Evolve, for instance, have the same issue (and be prepared to put it back on again?)
Evolve told me they’d reinstall the map if it got wiped for a small fee :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm

Msport wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm They check out any fault codes on your car to establish if it's good to be tuned. Mine didn't have any so they went straight ahead. Their head office is in Newquay where they have the rolling road facilities and do all the maps, research etc on the rolling road etc, but then they have a mobile van service that visits different parts of the country to carry out remaps at your chosen destination using the map developed for your engine in their head office, that's why there is often a longish wait for home visits- I had to wait a month to get mine done. They won't check your before and after power if you get a home visit, but given the map has been designed for the N20 engine results are likely to be pretty consistent, and besides rolling roads can vary considerably so really not much point getting a rolling road session unless you're looking to see how incremental mods affect your vehicle. Power feels in the range quoted and I'm happy with it, which is all that matters really. Should be there or there abouts, fair few on here with Dyno results around the 280bhp range. If you take to newquay though and get done at their head office I think they will put your car on a Dyno :thumbsup:
ihadablackdog wrote: Do they do any sort of test beforehand to see current figures and if there are problems with the engine, or do they simply rock up, do the software upgrade and go? How do they know what power you end up with, for your particular car (or doesn't it work like that)?

Thanks
2011 E89 sDrive20i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun May 19, 2019 11:04 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 3:28 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:59 am
Is this a fact?
Evolve told me they’d reinstall the map if it got wiped for a small fee :thumbsup:
Rob
Thanks Rob,
Was hoping you would see this and put my mind at rest.
Is it actually likely to happen do you think?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue May 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Good choice of tuner, celtic are outstanding in all respects.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

vld

Post by vld » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Got mine remapped today. Celtic-approved agent in Sweden. £374 (I know, Sweden...).
I chose to go with the "standard" 2.8i map and not push it more.
Took 15 minutes, done via plugs on the ECU, on the car, no removal, no dismantling.
The difference is quite striking.
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Emailed Celtic, they replied. Then asked them if my extended warranty was safe with a remap. No reply.
Vidi, vici, veni