Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I fancy a change . . .

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Now retired, fancy a blast in something fun. Love the looks of the Z4 but unsure of the practicality, best model to go for etc. Sure, I need to get to a dealer just to see if I fit first (6’3” but long legged) although I would buy used.
I have had a couple of Beemers (530i Sport E39 and 130i Sport) but currently have a fettled B8 Audi S4 (high spec saloon with 489bhp). Also loved my old Mk1 Audi TT coupe.
I did try the older version of the Z4 (2007) and, whilst I fitted into the roadster OK, the coupe was too cramped - rear bulkhead behind seat just pushed me too close to the dash and far too upright.
So, several questions ;

If I do the Tesco run with the wife, how much shopping can I get into a Z4 ?
I assume I cannot fit a towbar for a small, open top trailer.
I very rarely use the performance of my S4, so although my heart says 35is do I really need it now ?
Is there a point in the 28 when the two base models can be mapped for the same power - does the 28 have anything else to make it a serious contender ?

If I fit, probably looking at a 2011 onwards car - do they have USB, ability to play music from an Android phone.
Also love the Stronic box on my wife’s Audi S3 so would lean t the DCT (only available on the 35?) or maybe the auto if it is easily overridden manually (i hate the mix of auto boxes and slow corners / roundabouts).

Sorry for all the questions. If there is anyone near Glastonbury that wouldn’t mind showing me their pride and joy that would be brilliant.

Thanks

Pyranha

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Pyranha » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

The e89 has loads of room. I am also 6'3 and I fit comfortably. Never had any issues on long road trips etc.

I use mine all year round and find it very practical - Can get a weekly shopping in the boot, hardtop keeps it cozy during winter. I don't see why you could not fit a detachable tow bar, a quick google search indicates it has been done. I think some on here have towbar based bike racks for their e89's.

I have a remaped sdrive 20i manual - It is enough, however I hanker for the effortless acceleration and sound of the 6 cylinder. So if you can get one you should go for it and fully enjoy your retirement!
Last edited by Pyranha on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simmocs330

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Simmocs330 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:37 pm

Plenty of room for a tall guy I am 6ft 4 takes a while to get the seat position correct but I haven’t had any problems on a long run.

I have an android phone and Bluetooth music to the car.

Mine is a 2011 3 litre. Plenty on tap as far as I am concerned.

Don’t have any issues with the auto box on mine.

Go for it great looking cars!
Z4 2011 sDrive30i Auto All Black

road warrior

I fancy a change . . .

Post by road warrior » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:49 pm

you would get a full weeks shopping in the boot
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

I fancy a change . . .

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. :) Recommend you check out out the top down boot space, on the E89. Though with the top up there is plenty, enough for a weekly shop.

Frankie169

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Frankie169 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I live in Clevedon if you want to try it for size , Im 6 ft 4" but got a long body with short legs so cant comment of comfort, best thing is to seat in one
Toys: Z4 E89 35i in Blue / Ducati Multistrada 1260 DVT + love my watches

Bodben

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Bodben » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Also 6 ft 4 (loads of us eh?) E89 is a perfect fit. Biggest thing for me is I can easily get my knees under the wheel without whacking them with my hands at every roundabout.

AldridgeZ4

I fancy a change . . .

Post by AldridgeZ4 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 pm

6'7" and fit. It's cosy but comfortable. Had a long run from walsall to Hull with no problems..... planning on an Alps trip next year.
Now gone.......Z4MR. 2007. Boring silver.
MY05 honda S2000

Chris1712

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Chris1712 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Boot is plenty even with the roof down, I fit in a weeks camping gear for 2 no problems.
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Smartbear » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Plenty of room in the e89, Stuartt manages to drive his one with size 26 feet :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Wow - popped along to the Haynes brekky this morning. Never realised just how popular this is with just about every performance car I could ever dream of in attendance. But managed to track down a few members from this forum to ask a few questions and take a close look at some Z4s (thanks Smartbear for being so helpful :thumbsup: ).

Anyway, my mind not made up one way or another yet, basically down to interior space and driving position. Sure, I could get in OK but, with the seat right back and steering wheel pushed away and up, I still felt quite ‘upright’ . Although the whole thing felt quite snug, and I am sure it would be perfectly driveable, there certainly was ‘t room to fidget about ! So, a question for you tall guys out there - what sort of seat adjustments do you find work ? I came away afterwards musing whether, if I had moved the seat forward an inch, and raked the back more, and tilted the seat a little, it may be better. Bottom line though is that I will need to go and drive one to really be sure.

So, whilst in the area, I whizzed along to Westerly BMW in Yeovil to see what they might have. Sadly they were closed - ho hum.

Never really understood why manufacturers cannot build these cars just an inch or two longer - after all there are plenty of people over 6’ around. Seems it has always been the same and I have failed to get any joy with S2000, E85 Coupe, Porsche Boxster, MX5 and more. Only one I ever found that provided decent space is the Audi TT (coupe also a lot more practical).

All said though, the cars looked stunning and, if I can fit, I suppose I will then face the wrenching question of mapped 4 pot or an inline 6.

Annoyingly, and probably sensing it may soon be moved on, the early morning drive in my S4 was great. I think I would miss its sheer grunt (489PS, 606NM) , even though I rarely get the chance to use anywhere near its full potential.

step_change

I fancy a change . . .

Post by step_change » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am

Some tall chaps on this forum... I am 6'3" too...
I must say though, I do tend to struggle a bit when doing bigger distances in the E89. My right leg near the hip is where I start to get uncomfortable after an hour or so and I need frequent breaks. I don't have this issue in my 535.
We are all different.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am

How do yo have your seat set ?
Is it all the way back, tilted, raised or lowered etc.
But as you say, we are all different. My inside leg is 34” - don’t know how that compares.

Are any of the seat options (if there are any) different ? For instance are ‘sports seats’ of different dimensions ?

I could do with losing a few kg too - maybe that would help :D

Stuartt

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Stuartt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am

Hi, I too am 6’3” and as Smartbear mentioned have tiny tiny feet 😉 also could do with losing a few pounds.

Best seat position is forward a bit and recline the back, drop the rear of the seat and lift the front , leave the under knee thing closed.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

R.E92

I fancy a change . . .

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 am

There's more tall people than I realised here :o

I'm 6'3 too and find the Z4 a perfect fit with the roof up. With the roof down I feel like my head is in the airstream that comes over the windscreen which makes any roof down driving over 40mph uncomfortable. If I slouch in the seat a little then it's perfect, I just end up with a bad back.

Footwell room is an issue though, I have size 13 feet and if I'm wearing shoes or boots then it's hard work. Trainers are fine though.

If you enjoy the performance of a tuned S4 and intend to modify the Z4 then the 35i or 35is are a perfect starting point. The BMW and VW engines are very similar in their potential, the BMW straight six also sounds much better than the VW V6.