Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I fancy a change . . .

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

I fancy a change . . .

Post by firebobby » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I'm 5.6 (pretty tall) and have no problems either :whistle:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

BeeEmm

I fancy a change . . .

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:20 pm

liffy99 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm If I do the Tesco run with the wife, how much shopping can I get into a Z4 ?
Why not shop at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer Food Hall, then you won't buy so much for the same spend and it will fit easily?
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks for the comments. I guess I will know more once I’ve found a test drive but it seems that compromises do need to be made by taller drivers (esp wth airflow over the windscreen perhaps).
As for the footwell, I would go for the 8 spd auto in the 2.0 or DCT in a 35iS. Maybe the 6 spd auto in the 35 is a little ‘old hat’ now.
That might give a little more space with my, only, size 11s.

R.E92

I fancy a change . . .

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm

liffy99 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm Thanks for the comments. I guess I will know more once I’ve found a test drive but it seems that compromises do need to be made by taller drivers (esp wth airflow over the windscreen perhaps).
As for the footwell, I would go for the 8 spd auto in the 2.0 or DCT in a 35iS. Maybe the 6 spd auto in the 35 is a little ‘old hat’ now.
35i comes with the same DCT as the 35is. If you're into tuning the 35i is better value since it has exactly the same hardware as the 35is with the only difference being the ECU tune.

griffnut

I fancy a change . . .

Post by griffnut » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:02 pm

liffy99 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm Now retired, fancy a blast in something fun. Love the looks of the Z4 but unsure of the practicality, best model to go for etc. Sure, I need to get to a dealer just to see if I fit first (6’3” but long legged) although I would buy used.
I have had a couple of Beemers (530i Sport E39 and 130i Sport) but currently have a fettled B8 Audi S4 (high spec saloon with 489bhp). Also loved my old Mk1 Audi TT coupe.
I did try the older version of the Z4 (2007) and, whilst I fitted into the roadster OK, the coupe was too cramped - rear bulkhead behind seat just pushed me too close to the dash and far too upright.
So, several questions ;

If I do the Tesco run with the wife, how much shopping can I get into a Z4 ?
I assume I cannot fit a towbar for a small, open top trailer.
I very rarely use the performance of my S4, so although my heart says 35is do I really need it now ?
Is there a point in the 28 when the two base models can be mapped for the same power - does the 28 have anything else to make it a serious contender ?

If I fit, probably looking at a 2011 onwards car - do they have USB, ability to play music from an Android phone.
Also love the Stronic box on my wife’s Audi S3 so would lean t the DCT (only available on the 35?) or maybe the auto if it is easily overridden manually (i hate the mix of auto boxes and slow corners / roundabouts).

Sorry for all the questions. If there is anyone near Glastonbury that wouldn’t mind showing me their pride and joy that would be brilliant.

Thanks
Hi, A car for tall drivers with plenty of boot space, acceleration, character and a sound track to make you smile = TVR Chimaera 4.0, 4.5, 5.0

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Smartbear » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm
liffy99 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm Thanks for the comments. I guess I will know more once I’ve found a test drive but it seems that compromises do need to be made by taller drivers (esp wth airflow over the windscreen perhaps).
35i comes with the same DCT as the 35is. If you're into tuning the 35i is better value since it has exactly the same hardware as the 35is with the only difference being the ECU tune.
I thought the 35is came with a different freer flowing exhaust system? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

R.E92

I fancy a change . . .

Post by R.E92 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 pm
R.E92 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:55 pm
I thought the 35is came with a different freer flowing exhaust system? :?
Rob
There's no difference in the exhaust flow as the main restriction is the primary cats which are identical. I think the difference is solely in the rear silencers.

liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 am

Well, took a 28 for a quick spin yesterday. Top down it was lovely (novelty value after a saloon I guess) but I think I am turning to the Audi TTS.
The Beemer was nippy, rather than fast, and the looks I love. But I think I would struggle with cockpit space. My 6’3” could slide in ok but getting out over quite a high sill with the door less than wide open (eg when in a supermarket car park) was much more of an ungainly affair. The driving position wasn’t ideal either. Leg room was ok, although With the steering wheel raised to clear my legs meant I could not see the bottom of the dials). But I found the seat just did not have enough adjustment. I had to have it fully back on the rails which meant tilt and backrest recline were too limited. I also found the seats a little narrow, with a small pinch around the hips.
TBH it would be fine for shortish trips but there just isn’t enough ‘wriggle room’ for longer trips.
Such a shame .. . .
Am I missing something seat wise ? Are there standard as opposed to sports seats that may offer an extra couple of cm ? Some have suggested to move the seat forward an inch to be able to tilt it back more, but it needed more than an inch to do this and that then compromised leg room.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

I fancy a change . . .

Post by metal licker » Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am

I took a M40i out and didn't have a problem getting comfy (6' 2") not sure if it had different seats :?
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Tinker15

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Tinker15 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:30 am

liffy99 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 am Well, took a 28 for a quick spin yesterday. Top down it was lovely (novelty value after a saloon I guess) but I think I am turning to the Audi TTS.
The Beemer was nippy, rather than fast, and the looks I love. But I think I would struggle with cockpit space. My 6’3” could slide in ok but getting out over quite a high sill with the door less than wide open (eg when in a supermarket car park) was much more of an ungainly affair. The driving position wasn’t ideal either. Leg room was ok, although With the steering wheel raised to clear my legs meant I could not see the bottom of the dials). But I found the seat just did not have enough adjustment. I had to have it fully back on the rails which meant tilt and backrest recline were too limited. I also found the seats a little narrow, with a small pinch around the hips.
TBH it would be fine for shortish trips but there just isn’t enough ‘wriggle room’ for longer trips.
Such a shame .. . .
Am I missing something seat wise ? Are there standard as opposed to sports seats that may offer an extra couple of cm ? Some have suggested to move the seat forward an inch to be able to tilt it back more, but it needed more than an inch to do this and that then compromised leg room.
Look you’re an Audi man just buy another and be done with it! 😉
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

I fancy a change . . .

Post by buzyg » Sat May 25, 2019 9:57 am

Interesting to read through this thread. Gives an insight into other's prioritise, that the weekend only driver never considers. Makes me glad I have my little cr#p box Mazda2 as a daily. The Zed is purely for fun and all he better for it"s compromises? :driving: :thumbsup:

Each to there own? TTRS. Very fast very comfy, very competent, very Audi. Soo... not for he likes of me. :wink:

Enjoy OP. :)

Mavster

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Mavster » Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 am

The 3.5 is a 3.0l N54 twin turbo engine and around 300hp

The 3.5is is a 3.0l N54 OTO twin turbo engine with around 345hp and is used also on the 1M as well as the Z4 35 iS, same as the N54 but lighter, stronger internals and lighter flywheel. Thats why it's also probably more expensive to buy

You can map a 35i to a 35iS power, but you can map the 35is to 400 and beyond

PS I am also 6'6" 215 lbs with long legs and fiting is not an issue for me either.
E89 35iS

liffy99

I fancy a change . . .

Post by liffy99 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:45 am

Would love to see how on Earth you fit your nearly 2m in !
Perhaps the key is that most people here seem to use their Z4s for short blasts.
OK, I am retired now, so don’t clock up large annual mileages any more, but I still venture a couple of hours away twice a month and would love to do a Euro tour or similar.
TTRS ? If only I had another £20k :D
TTS offers much of the same and is way better value.
Not necessarily an Audi man - have owned TT Mk1 and the S4, also BMW 530i and 130i as well as a couple of V6 Passats and several Golf GTIs back in the day.
In desperation I’ve been trawling the www - 6 series (metal folding roof ?), M4 (running costs - eek) ?

Mavster

I fancy a change . . .

Post by Mavster » Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Go and try one out, if you can afford the one your heart wants and like then buy it, you only live once!

You can get specialized 3 piece luggage sets that will fit in the boot even with the hardtop down for travelling.

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago, I had even considered a Z4M but my gut didn't want to pay the extra road tax every year, ..in the end BMW still beat Porsche and Audi this time for me. 8)
E89 35iS

R.E92

I fancy a change . . .

Post by R.E92 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:28 pm

Mavster wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 am The 3.5 is a 3.0l N54 twin turbo engine and around 300hp

The 3.5is is a 3.0l N54 OTO twin turbo engine with around 345hp and is used also on the 1M as well as the Z4 35 iS, same as the N54 but lighter, stronger internals and lighter flywheel. Thats why it's also probably more expensive to buy

You can map a 35i to a 35iS power, but you can map the 35is to 400 and beyond

PS I am also 6'6" 215 lbs with long legs and fiting is not an issue for me either.
Engine is the same and map to the same figures.

The 35i, 35is and 1M all share the same engine. The difference is the 1M has a very different ECU map which makes it more responsive, which is partially why the reviewers went wild for the 1M's engine.

You can ofcourse map the 35i and 35is with the same calibration as the 1M and have exactly the same responsive engine.