Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Software/firmware

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Punter

Software/firmware

Post by Punter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Can someone clever than me just clarify the difference for me, thanks. How do I find out which version of both I currently have in the car? I would hate to think that I don't have any improvements that are available. Do dealers automatically update both/either as a matter of course (I think I know the answer)?
Thanks

mcbutler

Software/firmware

Post by mcbutler » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Clarify exactly what you are talking about.
Do you mean the ECU software/firmware - iDrive software - codeable modules on the vehicle?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Dr-Jon

Software/firmware

Post by Dr-Jon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:43 pm

firmware is what the software runs on.
firmware is like the operating system and software runs on that.
the firmware can be updated, but so can the software.
the firmware updates are probably a dealer only update, where as software is what runs on the i drive and can be updated via the usb in the glovebox.
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Software/firmware

Post by Maniac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:14 am

iDrive software can be updated via USB? Are you certain? Map data yes and phone drivers yes but actual iDrive software?

NeilMick

Software/firmware

Post by NeilMick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 am

Yes it can, files used to be available on the BMW site, might still be.
Current - F31 330i & SLK 350
Previous - E89 35is
Previous E86 3.0si

Pbondar

Software/firmware

Post by Pbondar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 pm

NeilMick wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 am Yes it can, files used to be available on the BMW site, might still be.
With the exception of the telephone interface I doubt it..the consequences of a key car system being corrupted /disabled by anyone of n factors when an owner screws up the load would have the liability lawyers running for the hills.. :thumbsdown:

R.E92

Software/firmware

Post by R.E92 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Yeh these guys are correct. You only update the iDrive software (maps) using the USB port. The firmware needs to be updated using BMW's software suite.

The BMW terminology for the update level of the control units in the car is "integration level" or just "I-Level". They will update your car to the latest I-Level when doing any repairs but probably not for routine servicing.

NeilMick

Software/firmware

Post by NeilMick » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 pm

Current - F31 330i & SLK 350
Previous - E89 35is
Previous E86 3.0si

R.E92

Software/firmware

Post by R.E92 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:03 pm

That's just phone drivers for new mobiles and bluetooth devices, doesn't actually update the iDrive firmware or maps.

step_change

Software/firmware

Post by step_change » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Firmware is low level code that allows the computer - a Z4 car in this case - to start up from an off condition (boot-up) and controls the electronic interaction between CPU, memory, storage and peripheral interfaces. This is often called the BIOS in PC terms but all computing systems which (which nowadays is everything pretty much) have firmware. The firmware also gets the operating system to load and run.

The operating system is the software that sits on top of the firmware such as Windows, OSX, iOS, Android etc. BMW have their own operating system that interfaces to the rest of the car over the CANbus and many compnents fo the car, engine, gearbox etc have their own firmware. Operating systems control how an application of a peripheral accesses other parts of the computer. It controls how users or other computers can access this computer via APIs (application programmable interfaces).

Applications are what run on top of the operating system such as Word, Safari, Chrome, Internet explorer etc.

There are variations on this theme but that is the general schema of how this works.

In the context of a car, all this often comes embedded in one lump of software and they all it - technically incorrectly - the "firmware". An error in upgrading such firmware can be catastrophic and so there are often two "banks" of firmware so there is a backup in case the main one corrupts during an upgrade etc.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Punter

Software/firmware

Post by Punter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks all, some really informative replies (as expected) Definitely feel much better equipped to have an informed conversation with the dealer (now probably know more than they do!) Will get my I-level checked. Recent post on satnav update was also really useful.
Thanks again.