Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Facelift Side Indicators

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
zedwheels

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by zedwheels » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi
I could do with some advice/help please.

I have just placed my order for the facelift type side wing indicators to modify my E89 2009 model 23is. I have seen a short video of someone lifting the bonnet and poking a long screwdriver down behind the wing to show how to push on the top clip to release the existing light but what happens next?

I see that there are three steel spring clips holding it in so how does just pressing the one clip get the indicator out, how will I get at the other two clips? And I believe that the lug along the long arm needs to be snapped off?

Any info I can get before tackling the fit will help :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by Pbondar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm

zedwheels wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm Hi

I have just placed my order for the facelift type side wing indicators to modify my E89 2009 model 23is. I have seen a short video of someone lifting the bonnet and poking a long screwdriver down behind the wing to show how to push on the top clip to release the existing light but what happens next?

I see that there are three steel spring clips holding it in so how does just pressing the one clip get the indicator out, how will I get at the other two clips? And I believe that the lug along the long arm needs to be snapped off?

Hi yes, the procedure is as stated..once the tang has been pressed the indicator pulls of with a little force.

The little lug needs to be either snipped or bent back to make it break off and then the new unit is just clicked in.

Some people have used a bit of silicone (v small amount) to dampen down any resonance / make it stick better..

Arcade.Eyes

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm

No I'm a complete noob when it comes to customizing cars, but I did this one myself.
It's quite evident when you get them off how the new ones fit. good luck it makes a big difference to the look.

zedwheels

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by zedwheels » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 pm
zedwheels wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm Hi

Hi yes, the procedure is as stated..once the tang has been pressed the indicator pulls of with a little force.

The little lug needs to be either snipped or bent back to make it break off and then the new unit is just clicked in.

Some people have used a bit of silicone (v small amount) to dampen down any resonance / make it stick better..
Fab just what I needed. :thumbsup:

ihadablackdog

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Did mine a couple weeks ago (because one of the originals had broken and had to be cellotaped in place, which was just sh1t)!

Easy to do (broken one fell out) the other side just used the screwdriver to press a tab and it came out ok. I snapped the lug off by gently bending it a few times...it has a natural "weak" spot that means it bends in the right place.

Needless to say, make sure the wing is clean and dry.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

zedwheels

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by zedwheels » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm

I was looking at ebay to get these indicators but they were from Latvia cost £104 with delivery mid April :o I rang Sytner and they did me a set for £80 and picked them up this morning :D Followed your instructions and yep was really easy, now fitted and they dress up the side wings a treat. :thumbsup:
Dash cam being fitted now Sunday and just to go the extra mile booked in for a wheel refurb on Monday.

ihadablackdog

Facelift Side Indicators

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:23 pm

Showing your Z some love!
2011 E89 sDrive20i