Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thoughts on weight distribution

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi All,

Whilst zipping back to Plymouth from Yeovil yesterday, over 10deg C so roof off of course.
I was thinking, after a porky boxster S passed me, about weight distribution.

What are your thoughts on, or does anyone know how it changes with the roof down compared to roof up?

Roof is heavy so you are not only shifting CofG a lot lower but shifting weight to the rear.

Come on then, anyone have any ideas??, or a weighing setup?
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:22 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:42 pm Hi All,

Whilst zipping back to Plymouth from Yeovil yesterday, over 10deg C so roof off of course.
I was thinking, after a porky boxster S passed me, about weight distribution.

What are your thoughts on, or does anyone know how it changes with the roof down compared to roof up?

Roof is heavy so you are not only shifting CofG a lot lower but shifting weight to the rear.

Come on then, anyone have any ideas??, or a weighing setup?
A technical analysis would say f^&k all effect! :rofl:

The roof top section is aluminium, which is the bit that moves the most, the glass, the heaviest part moves only a small distance, most of the other stuff, pumps, cables etc don't really move..

When you calculate the CoG you take the masses that you move multiply by distance from the datum and then compare with the whole mass multiplied by its distance fro m the datum..so with 1350 kg of mass and say 50kg at worse of moveable stuff, most of which moves less than 0.5 metres its not going to do much, a full fuel load probably has more effect..

In the aviation world we did these calcs all the time, as the consequences of too aft CoG were catastrophic..

What you need to look are things outside the wheelbase..like that big 6 pot engine vs the 4 pot!!

Bound to create a flame war now! :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 pm

A heavy car with a chassis that simply cannot cope with it roof up or down to be anything other than a nice comfy cruiser. Add dead steering to the mix and weight transfer ceases to make any difference.

Very nice car but finesse levels of a barge.....
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Supposed to have 50/50 weight distribution, but is that roof up or down?
And what of the effect of drag with the roof down.
I always find the gear changes are smoother with more load in the car such as a passenger.

Brasseye

Post by Brasseye » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:11 pm

I think the roof was quoted at 30kg so not huge but not tiny.

Driving at top French motorway speeds with roof down ac on got 35mpg over 500 miles, with net fitted & earplugs!

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:45 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:38 pm Supposed to have 50/50 weight distribution, but is that roof up or down?
And what of the effect of drag with the roof down.
I always find the gear changes are smoother with more load in the car such as a passenger.
You need to add the other variables like most drivers are greater than 68kg...also pax at say 85kg, plus luggage effects..

As I said in the concept of a non F1 car I think these things are de minmis.. :thumbsup:

chilistrucker

Post by chilistrucker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Just for a curve ball, I'm a wagon driver by trade and weight distribution, C.O.G and other factors can all have a big effect on the handling characteristics of my works vehicle :)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:34 pm

chilistrucker wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:22 pm Just for a curve ball, I'm a wagon driver by trade and weight distribution, C.O.G and other factors can all have a big effect on the handling characteristics of my works vehicle :)
That’s for sure but the differences between an empty truck and a fully loaded truck are night n day compared to the changes in load that a Z4 can accommodate..

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 pm

I’ve just lost 6st in weight....what does that do to the cog?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Brasseye

Post by Brasseye » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:00 am

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:46 pm 2011 E89 sDrive20i
I don't know about the COG but you gained an extra 4.2 bhp per ton !

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:09 am

:thumbsup:
2011 E89 sDrive20i