Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Runflat > Non Funflat

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:28 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am Go for the best.

Michelin.
It ain’t necessarily so! :)
I know. :) I use Pirelli P Zeros.

I was just stirring the pot.
Vidi, vici, veni

Tinker15

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Not another pot stirrer! :D
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

mcbutler

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by mcbutler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm I know this has been asked a zillion times, but would appreciate some up to date info.

So, my 2011 e89 20i m-sport has the standard 18" wheels with:

Front - 225/40/18 92W Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Rear - 255/35/18 90W Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Its done about 55k and I got it last March (the same weekend as the mini-beast from the east). I doubt they are the original tyres, but suspect they are the same brand/model as OEM as my wife has a 1'er from new with those tyres.

My rear tyres are down to the treadwear indicator, so need replacing. Not sure how much is on the front, but I reckon less than half of tread...certainly not enough to cry about ditching them.

I'm considering replacing for nft (if I did, I'd do all 4 at once, if I stay with the current tyres, i'd just do the rears now).

So my questions are:
1. Is it recommended to swap them, i.e. is ride quality worth the tradeoff of losing the RF peace of mind?
2. Which Brand/Model is generally considered good?
3. Do I change the tyre size (if think I saw some posts saying to increase the side wall depth???).

I appreciate all the above questions are subjective, but is there any consensus?

My main requirement is ride quality, i.e. less harsh over bumps (therefore I'm only interested if it really does help). We have potholes all over the place (ha, so does the whole country!) and another thing (that might not be improved) is my car has intermittent rattles and creaks which are affected by road surface, would nrf make enough difference to affect that?

Any advice would be appreciated.
1. YES
2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (best tyre in practically every review, and in my experience)
3. Nope, or pressure.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm

So the Michelin work out about £30 more expensive than the Goodyear, which I don't mind, but the fuel indicator is worse and they are louder....how much do these actually matter?

Which ones would offer better wear (i.e. last longer)? - again, lots of variables, but generally speaking are all roughly the same?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:44 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm So the Michelin work out about £30 more expensive than the Goodyear, which I don't mind, but the fuel indicator is worse and they are louder....how much do these actually matter?

Which ones would offer better wear (i.e. last longer)? - again, lots of variables, but generally speaking are all roughly the same?
I am lucky enough to drive on both, E85 with Michelin and a E89 on Goodyear,, so not maybe a great comparison as different cars but TBH the differences are really minimal unless you drive on the edge, I would say the Goodyear's are quieter and certainly seem to wear better, the Michelins when pushed do seem to offer more grip, but honestly they are both great tyres, others seem to rate the uniroyals, but I have never used them, I think as long as you go for a premium brand you cant really go wrong
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Based on that it would seem the Goodyears are a better choice for "me" over the Michelin, as they are cheaper (only by £30, but its still £30, part of which can go towards the cans of tyre gunk) and they might last a bit longer, which again is better value.

The only way I drive on the edge is my ability, not the tyres performance :D

So the message I am hearing is that there isn't 1 clear "winner" as there are several different opinions, and the premium tyres are all pretty close, so there isn't really a "wrong" answer. Therefore other variables come into play, i.e. driving style, brand loyalty, cost etc.

And add to that the improvement over runflats, anything is going to be better than what I currently have!

I think I've decided on the Goodyears. This thread could go round in circles so I've got to make a choice at some point. Thanks everyone for your input.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:28 pm

oh, another question I just thought of:

How do non-rft tyres in general stand up to potholes etc? On my way to work they re-surfaced the road, but for some reason didn't raise the drain covers, and as its a twisty narrow country road, you have no choice but to drive over them (or into the oncoming traffic). So they aren't "potholes" but still "holes".

They should be gentler due to softer sidewalls, but what about prone to damage?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Tinker15

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 pm

There is nothing wrong with the Goodyears so you have made a decent choice. The non runflats will be more forgiving than the run flats of bumps, ruts etc. Run flats were also well known for causing cracks in aluminium wheels so all round they are a better choice.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Nick9one1

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Nick9one1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:50 pm

I can thoroughly recommend the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti

rears are £125 each on black circles.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vrede ... -Vorti.htm

Arguably as good as the Michelin pilot sport 4's and £40 a corner cheaper.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

davidrew

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by davidrew » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Have been following the tyre debate with interest as at some point will need to change the current 19" wheels original factory run flats.

Just want to chuck these in to the mix … has anyone tried Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Run Flats? According to Black Circles they have better fuel and noise levels than the three non-run flats that seem popular on the forum. They are not quite as good in the rain and would the ride quality be any better?

Planning on:
Front: 235 35 R19 91Y
Rear: 255 35 R19 96Y (current 30 profile)

Uniroyal RainSport 3: Fuel: C Rain: A DB: 73
Goodyear Eagle F1: Fuel: C Rain: A DB: 69
Michelin Pilot Sport 4: Fuel: C Rain: A DB: 71
Goodyear Eagle Asym 3 (RF): Fuel: B Rain: B DB: 67

Nick9one1

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Nick9one1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Personally I think its a good idea to go up a profile on the fronts if you are doing so on the rear.

This probably explains it better than I can:
untitled.png
untitled.png (288.59 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

davidrew

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by davidrew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks Nick9one1 a very good point (and diagram :D) and I can see the rationale for upping the profile front and back.

I presume there are no issues with the increased profiles front and back catching the bodywork? We have a completely standard 2014 e89 2.0 M-Sport Auto with 326M 19" Wheel Rims.

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 pm

Just to confirm, as Anubiszed thinks at the beginning of the thread, no need to change the profile on 18" wheels?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Frano

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Frano » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:09 am

New z4 owner and had a real mix of tyres on the car when bought. Some rfs, some not. Ride was awful. After a load of research I took advice from local tyre shop who I have used for years. They recommended Lassa Driveway Sport which are basically a Bridgestone. Had the a couple of weeks and have transformed the car. All non run flats.

Gabz

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Gabz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Had terrible ride with the runflats. Goodyear Eagle F1s are great performance tire options with a relatively soft and comfy sidewall (compared to rivals). Ride is still shockingly hard but the non-runflats definitely help.
Current: 2010 35i M-Sport DCT: MHD Stage 2+, Quaife, Koni, Mishimoto, VRSF, Masata, K&N
Previous: MX5, S2000, 330ci