Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Runflat > Non Funflat

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

I know this has been asked a zillion times, but would appreciate some up to date info.

So, my 2011 e89 20i m-sport has the standard 18" wheels with:

Front - 225/40/18 92W Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Rear - 255/35/18 90W Bridgestone Potenza RE050A

Its done about 55k and I got it last March (the same weekend as the mini-beast from the east). I doubt they are the original tyres, but suspect they are the same brand/model as OEM as my wife has a 1'er from new with those tyres.

My rear tyres are down to the treadwear indicator, so need replacing. Not sure how much is on the front, but I reckon less than half of tread...certainly not enough to cry about ditching them.

I'm considering replacing for nft (if I did, I'd do all 4 at once, if I stay with the current tyres, i'd just do the rears now).

So my questions are:
1. Is it recommended to swap them, i.e. is ride quality worth the tradeoff of losing the RF peace of mind?
2. Which Brand/Model is generally considered good?
3. Do I change the tyre size (if think I saw some posts saying to increase the side wall depth???).

I appreciate all the above questions are subjective, but is there any consensus?

My main requirement is ride quality, i.e. less harsh over bumps (therefore I'm only interested if it really does help). We have potholes all over the place (ha, so does the whole country!) and another thing (that might not be improved) is my car has intermittent rattles and creaks which are affected by road surface, would nrf make enough difference to affect that?

Any advice would be appreciated.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

AnubisZed

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm ...
So my questions are:
1. Is it recommended to swap them, i.e. is ride quality worth the tradeoff of losing the RF peace of mind?
2. Which Brand/Model is generally considered good?
3. Do I change the tyre size (if think I saw some posts saying to increase the side wall depth???).
My opinion.....
1. Ride quality and noise levels are much better with non-run flat, it reduces tram-lining as well.
2. I'm using Goodyear Eagle Assy 3's on mine and they seemed popular at the time (and I assume still are)
3. No need to change the size (IMHO)

I'm much happier without the run flats, oh and on the possibility of a puncture, carry a can of tyreweld in the cubbyhole in the boot (left side).
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Z4Sparky

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Z4Sparky » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I have the 19" wheels and went through this same decision last autumn and decided to go non run flat.

IMHO, the non run flats will give you a better ride, even on the 18" wheels.
I went for Uniroyal Rainsport 3's - I think you will get a wide array of suggestions on the "best tyre" as it can be a bit subjective.
I did change the tyre size on my 19"s, and probably more important on this size to give more protection, but probably won't hurt on the 18"s either, but that is just my layman's opinion and not based on anything technical...I am sure someone else will be along soon with more knowledge!

It is also worth mentioning that I also ended up getting a small jack/handheld compressor etc. to keep in the car just in case I need to sort the wheel whilst out and about, but a small trade off for the better ride.
2010 E89 sDrive 2.3i Alpine White

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks. I've read about the cans of gunk etc for punctures and guess i'd have to rely on roadside assistance if that didn't work, so that is the only downside I can see?
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Tinker15

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Tinker15 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:20 pm

I’m changing the wheels (long story) on my E89. They are 18inch at present but have decided to go for 19inch. I may live to regret it. The tyres I’m going for are Falken Azenis FK510 in 225 35 R19 for the front and 255 30 R19 for the rear. They are not run flats but neither were the tyres on the 18inch wheels. The Falkens get decent reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falke ... -FK510.htm and are reasonably priced.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

gnl

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by gnl » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm in 2009 3.0 i sdrive. Changed form runflats to P Zero Neros a few months back. Don;t regret it at all. Smoother ride, less crashing over bumps. Main transformation though was the lack of tramlining. The old ones were't especially worn but the car would leap sideways on some bumps and lines in the road and needed constant correction to keep it going in a straight line. It also skipped when cornering over bumps. New tires have completely cured this - like a different car. I've put a can of gunk in the back in case of puncture - whether it will work is questionable as I've not has much success with these in the past but we will cross that bridge when we come to it!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Interesting replies - my E86 is still on Bridgestone RFTs. :roll:

But I recently bought a cheap set of CSL reps with non-RFTs so I plan to fit them soon and see how different it feels, and go from there.

I've already got Tyre-weld and a compressor, plus a 17" space-saver, jack and wheel-brace and RAC membership, so that should cover most eventualities!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Busterboo

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Busterboo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm Interesting replies - my E86 is still on Bridgestone RFTs. :roll:

But I recently bought a cheap set of CSL reps with non-RFTs so I plan to fit them soon and see how different it feels, and go from there.
It'll be amazing if you go back to RFTs.

My E89 came on them and I was so disappointed that I almost sold it. Within a month, however, it went on good, normal tyres and 27 months, 33k miles & 2 punctures later, it's on its second set. I ain't selling it now.
Vidi, vici, veni

Lazza

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Lazza » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Rather than write it all out again, here’s what I wrote about switching from the Bridgestone RFTs to Uniroyal Rainsport 3 non-RFT.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=110519
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am

Thank-you everyone.

So, as a first step to making a decision, I've priced up Goodyears on black circle:
2x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 225/40/18 Y92
2x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 255/35/18 Y94

£464.66 including fitting at my local ATS.

So is this a good deal and are they good tyres?

Checked some of the other tyres mentioned but can't find them in my size etc.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Busterboo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am

Go for the best.

Michelin.
Vidi, vici, veni

Tinker15

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:58 am Go for the best.

Michelin.
It ain’t necessarily so! :)
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

ihadablackdog

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm

That’s the problem, everyone has different opinions, which is expected. Would consider Michelin but read that they aren’t good in the rain?

So I guess i’m after a good all-rounder rather than “the best”.

Requirements are better ride quality (also comfort) than rft but also decent wear rate. I’m by no means as experienced as you guys and what I buy will have to last, hence asking for general opinions.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

chilistrucker

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by chilistrucker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm

gnl wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:44 pm I'm in 2009 3.0 i sdrive. Changed form runflats to P Zero Neros a few months back. Don;t regret it at all. Smoother ride, less crashing over bumps. Main transformation though was the lack of tramlining. The old ones were't especially worn but the car would leap sideways on some bumps and lines in the road and needed constant correction to keep it going in a straight line. It also skipped when cornering over bumps. New tires have completely cured this - like a different car. I've put a can of gunk in the back in case of puncture - whether it will work is questionable as I've not has much success with these in the past but we will cross that bridge when we come to it!
Another noob here, so this post is of particular interest and some really helpful advice from all :thumbsup:
My 2011 has the Bridgestone runflats and I really do feel the bumps, crashing and tramlining which doesn't really inspire me with masses of confidence, especially with the damp roads and me being new to the Z4 fold.

Trouble is when I bought the car 3 weeks ago all tyres had cracking levels of tread still, so I was a bit pee'd off last weekend when 1 got a puncture, and as needs must right there and then had to replace it with another brand new Bridgestone runflat, hey ho :| The plan was/is to run them all out and change for 4 new decent non runflats, the thing is as I really want to go for some nice spirited drives, and attend a few meets etc, I'm now toying with the idea of binning the runflats off, and try to sell them on with a view to putting the money towards the new set.

Is there a market for 4 decent used runflats?

Tinker15

Runflat > Non Funflat

Post by Tinker15 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:35 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm That’s the problem, everyone has different opinions, which is expected. Would consider Michelin but read that they aren’t good in the rain?

So I guess i’m after a good all-rounder rather than “the best”.

Requirements are better ride quality (also comfort) than rft but also decent wear rate. I’m by no means as experienced as you guys and what I buy will have to last, hence asking for general opinions.
Unless you buy something cheap and nasty there are no really bad tyres. I’m having new wheels and tyres fitted on Wednesday and chose the tyres based on the features that mattered to me. I’m sure the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is a very good tyre but in my view is seriously overpriced. My car will never see a track day so I just wanted something that was good in the wet, reasonable in the dry, quiet and had decent wear. That can be achieved with a good selection of tyres now-a-days without paying the Michelin premium.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D