Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

If its not raining...

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Beeacon

If its not raining...

Post by Beeacon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:50 am

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 pm
Beeacon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 pm ... frozen connectors
How do you freeze a connector, then? Cause a short with frozen condensation that melts, perhaps, but actually freeze the connector? Nah. :)
I was talking hypothetically, Buster; but as you took the time to make a condescending comment I’m more than happy to respond with what I hope is an equally condescending retort.

I didn’t go into too much detail because A) I don’t have a comprehensive understanding of how the complicated roof mechanisms work (lifting of rear window, lifting of rear quarter, unlatching of roof from windshield, lifting of roof and rear window into boot). And B) I didn’t feel a need to go into detail of how frozen things can burn out motors when said frozen things (In this instance used with the loose term ‘connector’) can have a tendency to stick/shrink. You clearly have ‘connector’ in mind referring to an electrical component, but didn’t think about mechanical mechanisms as being connectors i.e connecting the roof to the windshield.

Firstly, how a ‘frozen connector’ may burn out a motor:

I had a Z3 before the Z4. Said Z3 had a motorised roof but you had to unlatch the connection to the windshield first, then the motor would retract the roof. When it was particularly cold, and because the frame at the front of the canvas roof was metal, condensation would buildup and freeze inside the latching handle making it surprisingly difficult to unlatch from the windshield frame.
Now In the E89 Z4 the whole opening/closing/latching mechanism is automated and controlled by motors. If you had a condensation issue, and the latching system at the front froze (it’s a pretty small latch if you look at it), you could be forgiven for thinking that the small motor controlling the latch connecting the roof to the windshield could burn out. Hence me stating, in what you clearly thought was worthy of witty condescension, that “a frozen connector could burn something out”.

I also feel as though I’ve got into the swing of things with that answer so I’ll respond to the Native American greeting below, too:
Busterboo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Zoomer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm I would imagine that you may do the roof seals damage
How? :-o
When it was particularly chilly up North last week I experienced an issue where ice formed on the outside of the car prevented the seals from releasing the door window pane when pulling the door handle. Usually the glass would lower ~3cm, but it couldn’t due to the ice buildup. I applied some warm water and massaged the seal a bit which seemed to work. A rubber seal. Not the aquatic, blubbery kind (I know how you struggle with ‘connectors’ so wanted to be crystal clear). I think that one could also be forgiven for thinking that a 10 year old rubber seal (again, not aquatic) may not be quite so flexible when cold, and may stick to things that it otherwise shouldn’t (gummipfledge for this, wonderful stuff). You’ll notice that all around the rear quarter of the car that lifts to accommodate the roof, there is a huge rubber seal (not a walrus) that if old, cold, and sticking-to-things-it-shouldn’t may just do some damage to a component or two. Especially considering the hinge location and moment induced by its distance from the neutral axis. the amount of force required would be neglig- who am I kidding... he stopped reading after the first paragraph. So many good seal jokes wasted. I didn’t even get to mention the Native Americans again.

Condescendingly,
Beeacon.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

road warrior

If its not raining...

Post by road warrior » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:50 am

the sun was out for me too so ther roof came down, so whats the thing about 5c then ?
oddsbods..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

clarker63

If its not raining...

Post by clarker63 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:44 am

My bad, the manual says :

At temperatures below 14 ℉/-10 ℃, the retractable hardtop cannot be moved.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Zoomer

If its not raining...

Post by Zoomer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 am

Busterboo wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Zoomer wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm I would imagine that you may do the roof seals damage
How? :-o
I was advised when I had a focus CC not open the hard top in freezing weather as there could be risk of splitting or damaging the seals or them not seating properly when the roof was raised as they would Be hard and therefore may not seat properly.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Busterboo

If its not raining...

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am

Sounds plausible, because the roof of the Ford Focus CC had a bad reputation. Many leaked, wouldn't work on the move or work at all on a slight incline.
Vidi, vici, veni

Zoomer

If its not raining...

Post by Zoomer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Busterboo wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:32 am Sounds plausible, because the roof of the Ford Focus CC had a bad reputation. Many leaked, wouldn't work on the move or work at all on a slight incline.
Mine didn’t leak at all but any roof that relies on a rubber seal can be prone to leak if the seal is not seated properly.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Bodben

If its not raining...

Post by Bodben » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 pm

I couldn't even open the doors on mine this morning. Given the fact that no single part of the car could be teased into separating from the other parts they were touching I should imagine that if I had tried the roof the car would have simply turned itself inside out leaving me sitting on the driveway.

:D

Busterboo

If its not raining...

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:11 pm

:rofl:
Vidi, vici, veni

DOOM

If its not raining...

Post by DOOM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm

always drive my miata, topless, especially in the wintertime.
even in small distances.
life is short.
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

clarker63

If its not raining...

Post by clarker63 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:36 am

Bodben wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:36 pm I couldn't even open the doors on mine this morning. Given the fact that no single part of the car could be teased into separating from the other parts they were touching I should imagine that if I had tried the roof the car would have simply turned itself inside out leaving me sitting on the driveway.

:D
Yeah, thats a feature of mine too.. even with "gummi" the window mechanism seems to freeze (its not stuck to the seal), and makes it very hard to open.. :(
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.