Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Dash Display Screen

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TheThingIs

Post by TheThingIs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Yeah great video indeed, well done. Do you think it would be possible to mod the screen into an existing pop up and down one rather than replace it?

You can add me to your list of wanting to buy one as well asap.

Thanks

Arcade.Eyes

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Wow great vid. Very tempting to do this

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

https://youtu.be/VC9VFJBDFQM
Very impressive video Dave. I really enjoyed watching it on a very wet afternoon in Lincoln. You made the process look easy and straightforward. Frightened me to death. Though, I soon realised how much damage I could do to the car if I attempted the job. Not to mention dropping screws, damaging trim etc. I am sure I would end up with a handful of bits leftover. You must be really pleased with the result. The screen looks to be part of the car’s original equipment and not an add-on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you, this is the sort of thing I like to do, some are into mechanical mods, engine, suspension and the like but that's not my bag (well I can but I don't!) so I put my time into this.
Arr yes Lincoln, funny that as I was in Lincoln this afternoon, it was nice later alas driving into the sun with wet roads wasn't very pleasant :driving: You're not a million miles away (about 30 actually) if you decide to have one then give me a shout and I'll see what I can do in fitting it for you :thumbsup: oh yeah, group buy coming shortly on these units :D
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 pm

TheThingIs wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm Yeah great video indeed, well done. Do you think it would be possible to mod the screen into an existing pop up and down one rather than replace it?

You can add me to your list of wanting to buy one as well asap.

Thanks
I'll be posting the group buy up shortly.
Nothing is impossible, fitting a screen into the original pop-up mechanism was my original idea when I first contacted the manufactures, whether it would fit and still be able to open though is a different matter.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Arcade.Eyes wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm Wow great vid. Very tempting to do this
Keep a look out for my group buy, coming soon :thumbsup:
Dave

IRD

Post by IRD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.

Very impressive video Dave. I really enjoyed watching it on a very wet afternoon in Lincoln. You made the process look easy and straightforward. Frightened me to death. Though, I soon realised how much damage I could do to the car if I attempted the job. Not to mention dropping screws, damaging trim etc. I am sure I would end up with a handful of bits leftover. You must be really pleased with the result. The screen looks to be part of the car’s original equipment and not an add-on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thank you, this is the sort of thing I like to do, some are into mechanical mods, engine, suspension and the like but that's not my bag (well I can but I don't!) so I put my time into this.
Arr yes Lincoln, funny that as I was in Lincoln this afternoon, it was nice later alas driving into the sun with wet roads wasn't very pleasant :driving: You're not a million miles away (about 30 actually) if you decide to have one then give me a shout and I'll see what I can do in fitting it for you :thumbsup: oh yeah, group buy coming shortly on these units :D
Hi Dave. Yes I am keen to have one of these units especially with the possibility of having it fitted properly. I would certainly take you up on that if at all possible. My car is a 2010 3.5is so not sure whether there would be any difference in spec. Looking forward to hearing from you about the group purchase. :thumbsup:
Ian

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:44 pm

IRD wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm Very impressive video Dave. I really enjoyed watching it on a very wet afternoon in Lincoln. You made the process look easy and straightforward. Frightened me to death. Though, I soon realised how much damage I could do to the car if I attempted the job. Not to mention dropping screws, damaging trim etc. I am sure I would end up with a handful of bits leftover. You must be really pleased with the result. The screen looks to be part of the car’s original equipment and not an add-on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Hi Dave. Yes I am keen to have one of these units especially with the possibility of having it fitted properly. I would certainly take you up on that if at all possible. My car is a 2010 3.5is so not sure whether there would be any difference in spec. Looking forward to hearing from you about the group purchase. :thumbsup:
Ian
Id double that to be honest. Also interested provided the price is right and fittings done correctly!! I could also take it to my indy to get it fitted surely they wouldnt mind but keep us updated

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Group Buy now active, see link in my signature...
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Evening all, just a quick bump.
6 places are already gone just 4 to go for the initial first 10 required. The sooner I get these first 10 the sooner everyone gets theirs, but I'm still very impressed at attaining 6 in the first 3 days of it going live.
Thank you :thumbsup:
Dave

sunnydays

Post by sunnydays » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:35 pm

How is audio quality on these units? I have read around online and lots of people say it is not very good compared to stock, does this hold true?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 pm

sunnydays wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:35 pm How is audio quality on these units? I have read around online and lots of people say it is not very good compared to stock, does this hold true?
It's as good as any other AUX input as that is how the audio gets from the screen to your original headunit. Personally I'm running a later spec headunit and have added in tweeters making it an 8 speaker set up, and for me the audio is spot on, especially considering I have the roof down as often as I can.
So as far as amplification is concerned then it'll be as good as it is now if you plugged your phone into the AUX port.
Hope that helps.
Dave

vld

Post by vld » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Would have liked to join in on the group buy, but I'm from Sweden. I've seen people commenting on the Youtube video about buying from Aliexpress. What would be the best place to order this from? Is it http://www.a-carnavi.com/pd.jsp?id=91&f ... #_jcp=3_57 ? What would be a decent price to expect for just one unit order? (I ask as they are not listing any price.)
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

vld

Post by vld » Wed May 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Dave, do note that there is one missing step in the guide. The keyfob plug cover removal and screw behind it. Almost broke off one of my dashboards holding points because of it.

(The index finger is pointing at where the screw that needs to be removed was.)
(Sweden) E89 2012 20i Melbourne Red, Smart-top, Android display, 2.8i mapped, Retrofitted: cup holder and cruise control

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 pm

I merged his and this one together

mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed May 08, 2019 9:49 pm

LHD and RHD cars are slightly different. I dont think the RHD models have this screw.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)