Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Dash Display Screen

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:09 pm I'm potentially thinking of doing a group buy, if I can get enough interest
Should you decide to go along this road I would be really interested. I bought the the dash cam you recommended and am really pleased with it. Looking at this thread you have certainly stirred up some interest among those of us without iDrive. Just don’t have too many more ideas for improvement. My bank balance won’t cope! :thumbsup:
:D What else are you missing? :P I'm undertaking retrofitting auto dimming interior mirror and auto lights/wipers next :thumbsup: oh as well as a reversing camera and aftermarket parking sensors for this Android screen.
I can resist anything but temptation! :wink:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm

IRD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm Should you decide to go along this road I would be really interested. I bought the the dash cam you recommended and am really pleased with it. Looking at this thread you have certainly stirred up some interest among those of us without iDrive. Just don’t have too many more ideas for improvement. My bank balance won’t cope! :thumbsup:
:D What else are you missing? :P I'm undertaking retrofitting auto dimming interior mirror and auto lights/wipers next :thumbsup: oh as well as a reversing camera and aftermarket parking sensors for this Android screen.
Lol
All the next ones are all relatively cheap.
I've already got all the parts, for instance the parts for the auto dimming interior mirror is just the mirror and a short cable ( about £16 for the mirror and 99p for the cable) so not very costly at all.
But that's for later on, I need to get this all sorted first.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Dash display looks good. Do you know if it sits tight in the mounting, or rattles/squeaks like most of the rest of the panels in the Z4? :roll: (I'm looking at you, sun visors :x ).
Also, is there an easy way to blank the screen, same effect as folding down the OEM screen, to stop it distracting you at night?
And finally, how's the glare/reflections on the screen during the day? I'm guessing you haven't had much time to actually field test it yet, so that will be more of an observation after using it for a while perhaps.
Really like what you've done with this, and for sharing your findings/observations here. Cheers :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 pm This looks a tidy unit. Will be good to see videos of it working, I especially like the dash feature, does that have revs and speed ?
It does, but alas the speedo is in kph and not mph and is not changeable
Oh dear thats a shame :(
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am

enzed4 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm Dash display looks good. Do you know if it sits tight in the mounting, or rattles/squeaks like most of the rest of the panels in the Z4? :roll: (I'm looking at you, sun visors :x ).
Also, is there an easy way to blank the screen, same effect as folding down the OEM screen, to stop it distracting you at night?
And finally, how's the glare/reflections on the screen during the day? I'm guessing you haven't had much time to actually field test it yet, so that will be more of an observation after using it for a while perhaps.
Really like what you've done with this, and for sharing your findings/observations here. Cheers :thumbsup:
There are a couple of squeaks at the moment, not sure if that's because of the screen or because I've removed and replaced panels.
If you don't have iDrive at the moment you can put it into clock mode, which just puts a nice analogue clock face on a black background.
OK I managed to drive it yesterday in the sun, but not with the roof down (yes I know!!) and I had a nice reflection of the passenger seat in it. I could still see the screen well though so not a major problem, and that was with the sun in front of the car. When I get a chance I'll have the roof down and see what it's like then.
Overall though the quality is really nice, my favourite photo (attached) is from the side as it shows how well it blends into the original panels, they have done a really good job here.
The photos were taken on Sunday after I'd fitted it, yes I had a very nicely condensated windscreen by the time I'd finished :thumbsdown:
Attachments
IMG_20190303_134850114.jpg
IMG_20190303_134850114.jpg (155.75 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Dave

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm :D What else are you missing? :P I'm undertaking retrofitting auto dimming interior mirror and auto lights/wipers next :thumbsup: oh as well as a reversing camera and aftermarket parking sensors for this Android screen.
Lol
I've already got all the parts, for instance the parts for the auto dimming interior mirror is just the mirror and a short cable ( about £16 for the mirror and 99p for the cable) so not very costly at all.
I have some LED daytime lights and some of the new design side repeaters waiting to be fitted. My problem is lack of skill and expertise so I need to pay someone to do the jobs. Whatever improvements I plan to do I have to factor in fitting costs. So I sometimes have to wait a bit longer to get things done. Mind you I have enough sense not to let ‘me’ loose on the car. I value it too highly. I know my limitations. I’m OK at cleaning and polishing! I am envious of Forum members like yourself who can do so much themselves. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm

IRD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 pm I can resist anything but temptation! :wink:
Lol
I have some LED daytime lights and some of the new design side repeaters waiting to be fitted. My problem is lack of skill and expertise so I need to pay someone to do the jobs. Whatever improvements I plan to do I have to factor in fitting costs. So I sometimes have to wait a bit longer to get things done. Mind you I have enough sense not to let ‘me’ loose on the car. I value it too highly. I know my limitations. I’m OK at cleaning and polishing! I am envious of Forum members like yourself who can do so much themselves. :thumbsup:
I'm a railway signalling installation engineer by trade, so I'm very used to wiring old and new installations, yeah OK cars are different but principles are the same lol
I soon found out that there are not many E89 specific How-To's and videos out there, in fact very little information on improving unless you want engine mods etc, and I'm not into that, so I do electrical stuff instead and undertake a hell of a lot of research to find out!
Dave

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am OK I managed to drive it yesterday in the sun, but not with the roof down (yes I know!!) and I had a nice reflection of the passenger seat in it. I could still see the screen well though so not a major problem, and that was with the sun in front of the car. When I get a chance I'll have the roof down and see what it's like then.
thats the problem with the double din unit I've got in my Grand Vitara. I can't see it if the sun is out, all I see is my partners lap! Its fine in the dark/cloudy (although the actual display hasn't got great defintion so Google maps isn't very defined and you can't change the resolution, or volume of the app very easily). Hopefully they'll release a newer version of the app to allow MPH...

Fits nicely though!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:44 pm

clarker63 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm
AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am OK I managed to drive it yesterday in the sun, but not with the roof down (yes I know!!) and I had a nice reflection of the passenger seat in it. I could still see the screen well though so not a major problem, and that was with the sun in front of the car. When I get a chance I'll have the roof down and see what it's like then.
thats the problem with the double din unit I've got in my Grand Vitara. I can't see it if the sun is out, all I see is my partners lap! Its fine in the dark/cloudy (although the actual display hasn't got great defintion so Google maps isn't very defined and you can't change the resolution, or volume of the app very easily). Hopefully they'll release a newer version of the app to allow MPH...

Fits nicely though!
Can you get an anti glare screen protector for it?
Buy a larger one and cut it to fit.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:44 pm Can you get an anti glare screen protector for it?
Buy a larger one and cut it to fit.
Yes, I contemplated that, but I'm living with it for the moment. Just a shame that something that offered so much has a number of flaws (as I mentioned earlier : poor radio reception, poor screen definition, wont run any of the bbc radio/sounds apps, poor hands free phone, poor app for phonebook). Not much to recommend it for after spending 300 on it. :?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:22 pm
IRD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm
Lol
I'm a railway signalling installation engineer by trade, so I'm very used to wiring old and new installations, yeah OK cars are different but principles are the same lol
I soon found out that there are not many E89 specific How-To's and videos out there, in fact very little information on improving unless you want engine mods etc, and I'm not into that, so I do electrical stuff instead and undertake a hell of a lot of research to find out!

Your efforts are much appreciated. :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm

The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

https://youtu.be/VC9VFJBDFQM
Dave

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:51 pm

Brilliant video well done :thumbsup:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 am

Excellent - very clear and thorough. Great job :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

IRD

Post by IRD » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:26 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:24 pm The How-To video is now on-line, sorry but it is 1 hour and 5 minutes long, but then there is a lot of detail.
Available at this link...

https://youtu.be/VC9VFJBDFQM
Very impressive video Dave. I really enjoyed watching it on a very wet afternoon in Lincoln. You made the process look easy and straightforward. Frightened me to death. Though, I soon realised how much damage I could do to the car if I attempted the job. Not to mention dropping screws, damaging trim etc. I am sure I would end up with a handful of bits leftover. You must be really pleased with the result. The screen looks to be part of the car’s original equipment and not an add-on. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: