Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retro-fits - What have you done?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 pm

PaulRUK3 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:18 pm I don’t suppose you did a ‘how to’ when you did your seats by any chance? I would deeeearly love to do this, but still on the look out for the right seats (must be Koral Red). I also want to retro-fit a heated steering wheel, I don’t half miss it on these cold mornings (I had one in my.... sorry.... SLK).
Sorry I missed this post earlier :oops:
Take a look at the link in clarker63#s post below yours, that is the very informative thread I read cover to cover (so to speak) prior to doing mine. The work by woodpecka and dasammy is invaluable in doing this mod.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:50 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 pm I've posted the results of my work here when I upgraded from cloth, nothing electric, to heated/electric MSports seats...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92671

If you have some electric to your seats you're in a better position than I was - having to manufacture a harness to fit to the Junction Box, and to the battery is timeconsuming, but is not that hard.

Finding MSports seats at a good price is hard too.. and the switch panel doesn't come up that often in good condition.. I was lucky in both cases spending £400 on the seats and £80 on the switch (which I thought were a good deal) :D

the most frustrating part was getting the Junction Box coded.. because no one else had said this needed to happen, and after about 9 months thinking it was a wiring problem, I worked it out! :thumbsup:

I've also done cruise, tweeters and the LCI indicators (which I think are much nicer than the originals). I did contemplate adding the through the bulkhead ski-bag/luggage thing, but its a bit of a faff for not much use (for me at least)

People are starting to modify these cars now that they are not so expensive or risk voiding their warranty.
Again, sorry I missed this post earlier as well.
Yes nice write up there, and (as above) I also followed that thread, very informative :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:59 pm

Nictrix wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 pm Someone has done this on the Xdrivers forum with an X5
https://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18174
It does look like a good bit of kit although I would imagine its a bit easier fitting it to something that had a screen to start with.
Yeah that's the one, both companies (as in my post above) sell units for almost all of the BMW range both for iDrive and non-iDrive cars (except the Z4)
I started talking to them just after they released the e90 non-iDrive version as it is exactly the same set up as our Professional head units.
It's a plug-n-play Y cable that connects to the newly mounted touch screen. Audio is supplied to the head unit via the AUX input at the back of the plug coupler and then is amplified by either the head unit or your boot amplifier if you have the high spec set-up. The features in the new unit are just like any current Android driven head unit but just with the BMW style theme.
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am

eff1guy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm AnubisZed, I take my hat off to you sir, amazing patience and ingenuity. I have the patience but unfortunately don't have the time or more sadly, the necessary skill :oops:

About the only things I'm missing are the Heated Steering Wheel and the Pro Speaker set up. Not fussed about the speakers (who buys a 35is to listen to music? :rofl: ) but would love to retro-fit the heated wheel, looks expensive though from what I've read and that's if I'd even have a clue how to fit and code it :dizzy:
clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 pmI did contemplate adding the through the bulkhead ski-bag/luggage thing, but its a bit of a faff for not much use (for me at least)
It's worth it for the added storage shelf alone, you can hide away loads of little nik naks in there :thumbsup:
The heated steering wheel is a doable job, parts will set you back around £300 - £350 give or take. I did consider it but not at that price, I'll put some gloves on until the heat is up then have the vents pointing to my hands ;)

As for the through storage, I looked into this one as well.... Front bulkhead carpet section with hole, rear bulkhead carpet section with hole and then all of the parts for the actual storage unit or ski bag, priced it at well over £250 (at the time for used parts from eBay) and decided for three little shelves that I'd probably never use and all the hassle in fitting it I wouldn't bother!! :?
Dave

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am

Would like to have cruise control and parking sensors but told by local bmw dealer that not possible :cry:
Z4 E89 23 i M-Sport highline in red

eff1guy

Post by eff1guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 am

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 am I'll put some gloves on until the heat is up then have the vents pointing to my hands ;)
+1, it's the backs of the hands that get cold anyway :D
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Bmac wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am Would like to have cruise control and parking sensors but told by local bmw dealer that not possible :cry:
Not sure about parking sensors, but anything is possible with enough time and money, whether it's worth it or not is a different matter!!
As for cruise it's a simple retro-fit, in fact I already have a post on it with a how-to
Dave

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:18 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm
Bmac wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am Would like to have cruise control and parking sensors but told by local bmw dealer that not possible :cry:
Not sure about parking sensors, but anything is possible with enough time and money, whether it's worth it or not is a different matter!!
As for cruise it's a simple retro-fit, in fact I already have a post on it with a how-to
many thanks for that :rofl:
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

PaulRUK3

Post by PaulRUK3 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:14 pm

clarker63 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:24 pm I've posted the results of my work here when I upgraded from cloth, nothing electric, to heated/electric MSports seats...

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92671

If you have some electric to your seats you're in a better position than I was - having to manufacture a harness to fit to the Junction Box, and to the battery is timeconsuming, but is not that hard.

Finding MSports seats at a good price is hard too.. and the switch panel doesn't come up that often in good condition.. I was lucky in both cases spending £400 on the seats and £80 on the switch (which I thought were a good deal) :D

the most frustrating part was getting the Junction Box coded.. because no one else had said this needed to happen, and after about 9 months thinking it was a wiring problem, I worked it out! :thumbsup:

I've also done cruise, tweeters and the LCI indicators (which I think are much nicer than the originals). I did contemplate adding the through the bulkhead ski-bag/luggage thing, but its a bit of a faff for not much use (for me at least)

People are starting to modify these cars now that they are not so expensive or risk voiding their warranty.
Awesome, thanks for that. Slightly easier for me as I have heated seats already.... suitable seats don’t come up very often do they!
E89 2009 30i Auto. Silver with red trim.
Other toy - 2007 E93 335i with just about every option going. I love being topless.......

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm
cheers for that :)
Z4 E89 23 i M-Sport highline in red

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm

What is a 'door tweeter' please … something to do with social media? … :?
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Kingfisher wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm What is a 'door tweeter' please … something to do with social media? … :?
It’s a small speaker up by the door mirror I think? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm
Kingfisher wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:22 pm What is a 'door tweeter' please … something to do with social media? … :?
It’s a small speaker up by the door mirror I think? :?
Rob
Gosh how exciting! ..... :thumbsup:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

chilistrucker

Post by chilistrucker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 pm

Bloody hell there is some talent on here with jobs you've all taken on, I'm impressed as its way beyond my means and lack of skills :?

I'm only on my 2nd day of e89 ownership and after reading this topic I am only now realising how lucky I've been with the car I've bought kit wise.

The only thing it doesn't seem to have is the electric seats and heated steering wheel, although there maybe more things I have missed.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Bmac wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am Would like to have cruise control and parking sensors but told by local bmw dealer that not possible
Maybe your local dealer can't do it, but my E86 had already had cruise and parking sensors retro-fitted before I bought it - so it can be done, just not by them! :lol:

Of the two I find cruise more useful as there seem to be more and more average speed cameras springing up, and without it I just don't have the will-power! :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black