Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retro-fits - What have you done?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:04 pm
Bmac wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:04 am Would like to have cruise control and parking sensors but told by local bmw dealer that not possible
Maybe your local dealer can't do it, but my E86 had already had cruise and parking sensors retro-fitted before I bought it - so it can be done, just not by them! :lol:

Of the two I find cruise more useful as there seem to be more and more average speed cameras springing up, and without it I just don't have the will-power! :roll:
It’s a bit different on an e89 compared to the e86 as they require coding as well :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm It’s a bit different on an e89 compared to the e86 as they require coding as well
Rob
Oh right - looks like another good reason to hang onto my E86. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:09 pm It’s a bit different on an e89 compared to the e86 as they require coding as well
Rob
Oh right - looks like another good reason to hang onto my E86. :lol:
Evidently it’s not a problem if you know what you’re doing....
I didn’t really want cruise anyway :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm Evidently it’s not a problem if you know what you’re doing....
I didn’t really want cruise anyway
Rob
I wouldn't know what I was doing either! :rofl:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pyranha

Post by Pyranha » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:37 pm
Pyranha wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:06 pm Who is making this aftermarket bolt on style unit?

Could prove popular with e89 owners if it fits in the same space as the standard nav screen and can be hidden away. I have been looking for something like this for a while, any details would be appreciated. Might be worth of its own thread if you have some more info, I think a lot of us with non-nav cars would be interested.
There are 2 companies that claim to have this on the market within the next month, one is www.a-carnavi.com in China and the other is AVIN USA over in the states. I think AVIN are selling the same units that are built in China by a-carnavi.com (but that's only an educated guess11 :roll: )
I can't give any more details as there aren't any as of yet, there is nothing on their websites yet either. I've been talking to the guys over at www.a-carnavi.com over the past few months but no real info from them, I'm not sure if it's a language problem or they just don't want to say anything until it's actually advertised.
As soon as it' is advertised I'll post s thread up about it.
Thanks - I sent the people at a-carnavi a message, the language barrier was almost impossible! But they did send me some pictures of the unit - I assume it was a prototype. I was unable to get any details of when it might go on sale!

The screen seems to be positioned in the dash cubby hole rather than on top with a surround to fill the hole. In the standalone pictures of the unit it looks like they have added a trim to fill the gap between the screen and the dash that is present in the picture of the screen in the car. Hopefully we get some details on the production unit soon!
IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG (171.67 KiB) Viewed 868 times
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG (59.39 KiB) Viewed 868 times
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG (61.91 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Last edited by Pyranha on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lil_g_1234

Post by Lil_g_1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 pm Morning all,

Thought I'd start this off to see who else has undertaken retro-fits on their e89.
I'm not talking of changing the antenna to a stubby or changing the wheels etc but full-on proper retrofits either OEM boxed options like the HUD (not that it's actually listed for the e89) or fitting better spec seats with memory etc

Here's mine....
Better OEM Professional head unit with built-in USB control and Bluetooth (along with microphone and steering column housing).
Addition of door tweeters.
All electric memory seats.
Cruise control.

Upcoming mods...
Interior auto-dipping mirror.
Auto-wipers / Auto lights.
Full electric folding / auto-dipping exterior door mirrors.

So what have you got or would like to have???...
Anubis

Your not local to Kent are you???? I’d love someone to retrofit bluetooth for me, as I hate all the parrot and other style systems.
Z4 3.0l - gone
650i - gone
Z4 35is - Current

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Pyranha wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 pm Thanks - I sent the people at a-carnavi a message, the language barrier was almost impossible! But they did send me some pictures of the unit - I assume it was a prototype. I was unable to get any details of when it might go on sale!

The screen seems to be positioned in the cubby hole rather than on top with a surrounding to fill the hole. In the standalone pictures of the unit it looks like they have added a trim to fill the gap between the screen and the dash that is present in the picture of the screen in the car. Hopefully we get some details on the production unit soon!

IMG_1717.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
Thank you for that, they have just posted the top picture on their Facebook group page, I was a little worried at the white sections either side, but in your other photos it looks so much better :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm

Lil_g_1234 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:21 pm Your not local to Kent are you???? I’d love someone to retrofit bluetooth for me, as I hate all the parrot and other style systems.
No, I'm a long way from Kent, east midlands
Dave

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

When I get the chance to undertake the retro-fits for the Auto Dipping Interior Mirror and the Auto Lights / Auto Wipers (when it's a bit warmer hopefully) I'll be doing a written How-To and an instructional video for both of these, I'm also thinking of doing a video on the Cruise Control one as well.
If anyone is interested in this then let me know and I'll see if I can make it soon than later. :driving:
Dave

Bodben

Post by Bodben » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 am

+1 for cruise control vid!!

gwatson

Post by gwatson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 am

+2 for cruise control vid!!
Current:
E89 SDrive 30i M Sport - Manual
Jaguar F-Type V6S Convertible
E70 X5 30d

Previous:
Z4M Roadster Interlagos Blue
ESS Stage 2 Supercharged E85 3.0

cjp1800

Post by cjp1800 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Cruise video would be very welcome here too

Chris
2014 BMW Z4 sDrive20i

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:57 pm

OK well in that case I'll make a Cruise Control How-To video just as soon as I possibly can, alas I'm currently injured and can't even get in my Z4 :( let alone sit in it and undertake this :headbang:
Dave

Arcade.Eyes

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:17 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am When I get the chance to undertake the retro-fits for the Auto Dipping Interior Mirror and the Auto Lights / Auto Wipers (when it's a bit warmer hopefully) I'll be doing a written How-To and an instructional video for both of these, I'm also thinking of doing a video on the Cruise Control one as well.
If anyone is interested in this then let me know and I'll see if I can make it soon than later. :driving:
+1 for all the vids.
Massively impressive .
As I have a poverty spec car I'm always wanting to do some upgrades, stereo, folding mirrors, parking sensors etc

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:51 am

Arcade.Eyes wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:17 am
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am When I get the chance to undertake the retro-fits for the Auto Dipping Interior Mirror and the Auto Lights / Auto Wipers (when it's a bit warmer hopefully) I'll be doing a written How-To and an instructional video for both of these, I'm also thinking of doing a video on the Cruise Control one as well.
+1 for all the vids.
Massively impressive .
As I have a poverty spec car I'm always wanting to do some upgrades, stereo, folding mirrors, parking sensors etc
No problem, I also had the poverty spec one as well :D that's why I started on this bout of retro-fits in the first place.
Obviously some would say why not just buy the spec you want in the first place, yeah good point, but I've recently tried to find a Z4 with ALL of the spec I want and it's not easy or cheap lol
Folding mirrors isn't cheap, you're looking around £400 just for the parts (OK not exactly expensive really lol), this is one I'd like to do eventually probably with Auto Dipping as well.
Parking sensors is do'able but I've not done enough research into this one yet so I'm not entirely sure on what is involved.
The stereo is relatively easy to undertake and makes so much of a difference, well worth it. Have you seen the How-To on this?...
Dave