Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Run flat pressures help

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
shawbryce

Run flat pressures help

Post by shawbryce » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi all, first post and its a cry for help.
Recently purchaced some as new 225/45 17 wheels and run flat winter tyres no previous repairs to tyres still showing where the labels were so hadn't done many miles, put them on the car and drove about 20 miles.
Kicking myself now as stupidly forgot to check tyre pressures beforehand :( T**T , anyway drove about 20 miles (stop start traffic and didn't exceed 50 mph) pulled over at the first garage I came across and let them cool for half an hour and checked them. Each tyre was only about 18 psi, handling and ride seemed fine.
My question is will I have damaged the tyres by driving on them at such a low pressure.
Only put them on as due to drive down to Italy on the 1st of Febuary so need some peace of mind,or new tyres (could be an expensive mistake) corrected pressures and went for a spirited drive everything seems ok hope someone can help,

bob4333

Run flat pressures help

Post by bob4333 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 am

If they're Run Flats then 20 miles at 18psi should seem like luxury so no, I doubt there's any damage done.

But tyres do age and even though they're "as new" if they're over 5 years old they might give pause for thought.

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat pressures help

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 am

Nooo you won’t have done any damage over that distance and 18 psi will just mean their spongy
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

shawbryce

Run flat pressures help

Post by shawbryce » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks for both prompt replies and for putting my mind at rest, could have been an expensive mistake :? (Not one i'll make again)
Pressures all correct and TPMS reset. Now looking forward to the road trip to Italy on the 1st :D

Busterboo

Run flat pressures help

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:35 pm

In case you haven't done it already, before you set off for Italy, work out the logistics of quite what 'runflat' means.

So, for example, if you have a puncture, remember that, in reality*, most runflats are unrepairable, so even a small puncture's going to cost you three hundred Euros for a new tyre, assuming you can find one within 80km of your TPMS warning.

(*Most manufacturers stipulate that their runflats mustn't be repaired and, even if you're on 'repairable' runflats - Dunlop, for instance - many garages won't do them, either, whoever made 'em.)

And in many parts of rural & small-town France & Italy, your choice of makes will be limited, so you could easily find yourself with one odd, expensive replacement.

All this assumes your ability to explain your needs and understand the answers in French or Italian, or, if you're really unlucky, in both.

Runflats have their uses - making driving safer for wives & children on short-ish journeys, for example - but they're far from a magic solution to the puncture. Indeed, on long journeys, non-runflats may well be the more adaptable option.
Vidi, vici, veni

shawbryce

Run flat pressures help

Post by shawbryce » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Busterboo, thanks for the input.
I totally agree with what your saying but theres a few reasons why i'm sticking with the run flats
The wheels and run flats i'm using were the standard BMW winter package for the E89 so no problems with insurance, and the breakdown cover I have arranged which includes repatriation of the vehicle back to the UK if it comes to that. Don't want them arguing the toss if they consider that I've modified the car.
If I am unfortunate enough to get a puncture then at least I can keep moving and hopefully get to civilisation and then make the choice to purchase 1 expensive run flat or standard cheaper tyres. Even if I fit standard tyres before I leave theres no guarantee that a puncture will be repairable especially if I have to use a can of tyre weld as not enough room to carry a spare wheel even a space saver.
So caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.
Fingers crossed and wish me luck :D
I'll post some pictures of the trip good or bad when I get back

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Run flat pressures help

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 pm

It sounds like you have a great trip planned - enjoy! :driving:

I think sticking with run-flats is probably the most practical option. If you did use non-RFTs and take a space-saver, in the event you need to use it you've still got to find somewhere to put the full-size wheel with a puncture - that isn't going to leave much boot space! :(

Even on RFTs I'd still take a compressor - a repair is more likely to be possible if the tyre hasn't been run "flat". I got a Pirelli RFT repaired on my 1 Series and did over 10,000 miles on it afterwards with no issues.

Looking forward to the pictures! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Mr Tidy on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat pressures help

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Ive got run flats on both my cars - I carry a mini compressor and a can of gunk in both and I take both cars to Europe each year. after using the gunk they are reluctant to repair the tyres. Fortunately I've not had a puncture in years whilst on holiday. (There's the kiss of death for the next trip!)
A spacesaver isn't an option in the Z4, and especially so on a holiday trip as there would also have to be room for a big dirty punctured rear wheel and a jack.

(written while you posted Mr T )
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Run flat pressures help

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm

shawbryce wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:17 pm Hi Busterboo, thanks for the input.
I totally agree with what your saying but theres a few reasons why i'm sticking with the run flats
The wheels and run flats i'm using were the standard BMW winter package for the E89 so no problems with insurance, and the breakdown cover I have arranged which includes repatriation of the vehicle back to the UK if it comes to that.
I missed the winter connection, although it's obviously a key one where continental insurance is concerned.

From what you've said since your original post, you're obviously very well prepared, so that should guarantee you don't have a puncture. :thumbsup:
Vidi, vici, veni

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat pressures help

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm I missed the winter connection, although it's obviously a key one where continental insurance is concerned.
More likely driving in a country where winter rubber is required!

Busterboo

Run flat pressures help

Post by Busterboo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm

ronk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:40 pm
Busterboo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:15 pm I missed the winter connection, although it's obviously a key one where continental insurance is concerned.
More likely driving in a country where winter rubber is required!
On some roads by law and where an accident without them invalidates your insurance.
Vidi, vici, veni

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Run flat pressures help

Post by ronk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 am

Busterboo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm On some roads by law and where an accident without them invalidates your insurance.
Do you know which countries ?

tintoverano

Run flat pressures help

Post by tintoverano » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am

ronk wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 am
Busterboo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm On some roads by law and where an accident without them invalidates your insurance.
Do you know which countries ?
I know that in Austria and Germany you have to have winter tyres from November till end of March or something to enter the country, there's no border control anymore, but they can catch you on the road - I'm not sure how this relates to certain insurance policies
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD