Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help, new here and after thoughts on a 100k e89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
chilistrucker

Post by chilistrucker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:52 am

Hi all, I only registered yesterday in the Newbie section so am a bit green on all things E89 other than the fact I want 1.

Now Spotted 1 on an Ebay classifieds ad and it looks a real peach, cracking ad that has been done very, very well in my opinion. The car is an 11 plate, 1 owner with FSH, (assume its BMW but can't confirm till I speak to the guy, who probably wouldn't appreciate a call at this stupid hour!!!!! )

The car itself is listed as 2011 BMW Z4 SDrive 23i MSport.

It appears to my untrained eye to be pretty much fully loaded and the condition looks very, very good.

Services have been done at 23k, 48k, 62k, 71k and 95k

I can go into more detail tomorrow when I'm fully awake, but my initial question is would you consider this car, or do alarm bells go off at the mileage?

TIA

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 am

chilistrucker wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:52 am Hi all, I only registered yesterday in the Newbie section so am a bit green on all things E89 other than the fact I want 1.

Now Spotted 1 on an Ebay classifieds ad and it looks a real peach, cracking ad that has been done very, very well in my opinion. The car is an 11 plate, 1 owner with FSH, (assume its BMW but can't confirm till I speak to the guy, who probably wouldn't appreciate a call at this stupid hour!!!!! )

The car itself is listed as 2011 BMW Z4 SDrive 23i MSport.

It appears to my untrained eye to be pretty much fully loaded and the condition looks very, very good.

Services have been done at 23k, 48k, 62k, 71k and 95k

I can go into more detail tomorrow when I'm fully awake, but my initial question is would you consider this car, or do alarm bells go off at the mileage?

TIA
I've never been but off by miles, if the cars been looked after you can get a cracking deal
Go view the car, but also check the classifieds on here :thumbsup:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 am

I've just had a look but couldn't find an eBay add that matches your description. Post a link and we'll have a look :D
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 am

I hit 100k on mine over Christmas and it feels just as solid as when I bought it. Personally I feel these are extremely robust cars, as I feel are most cars designed in the late 2000's before the financial crash led to a lot of cost cutting within the industry. Everything on these cars is now well proven and repairable should anything go wrong. Like any high mileage car, as long as it's been maintained correctly, nothing too surprising should happen and has most likely had the majority of niggles and common faults dealt with.

Is this the car?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-NEW-SHA ... :rk:2:pf:0

If so, that's probably about as good an ad as I've ever seen. Definitely worth a look I'd say, extended leather has to be rare on a 23i for sure!

In comparison, mine at similar mileage has also had the majority of suspension bushings replaced although was more of a preventative maintenance than something that needed doing. Looking through the history it's just normal servicing bar the odd brake fluid and coolant change. Everything's worn very well indeed, especially the interior which when given a clean looks close to new.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 am

One owner from new says a lot.
Go look at the car and play with the roof.
The 23i is probably bullet proof. Mine has 80k, runs like new.
Most other cars i have owned have needed exhausts, ball joints, gaiters, radiators, respray after patching up by now.
Goes to show how good modern cars are.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

The MOT history is faultless :thumbsup:

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am

Wow, that looks so tidy for 100,000mi. But the first part of the number plate spells Kiwi, could be dodgy... :rofl:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am

Bloody typical eBay search, that never came up at all!! :?
Now that looks very nice indeed :driving: :thumbsup:
A couple of points not mentioned in the add...
1) It looks like it's got the extra storage option, which should include the load-through hatch with either the ski bag or shelves in between the seats along with the tie down straps in the boot.
2) It looks like it has the manual seats, as the passenger one looks to have the cut out for the front handle (not 100% sure though)
3) The screw cap in the drivers inside handle is missing, no drama though as they are easily found on eBay. seems to be a common thing as mine was missing when I bought it.

On the whole it looks a nice well looked after Z4 :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

As said above, car looks good with just about every option of looks like. This bit I would question though
"When you drive it you can understand why because at 95Mph it is ticking over at less than 3,000 rpm"
More like just below 4k, at 70 it sits just below 3k.
But let's be honest, we do not buy these for the fuel economy do we :driving:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am

Vonlipvig wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am As said above, car looks good with just about every option of looks like. This bit I would question though
"When you drive it you can understand why because at 95Mph it is ticking over at less than 3,000 rpm"
More like just below 4k, at 70 it sits just below 3k.
But let's be honest, we do not buy these for the fuel economy do we :driving:
That is very true, something's broken if it's doing <3000rpm at 95 :rofl:

I like 25mpg. It's a good, strong, underrated number :wink:

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am

Thats a lot of car for the money, iDrive PDC front+back I wouldn't be surprised if there's £4k+ in extras on this.

chilistrucker

Post by chilistrucker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Thankyou all very much 8)
It's nice having a bit of input from people more in the know than myself. TBH the mileage wasn't scaring me because of the FSH and the condition of the car, it is indeed the 1 in the ebay add :thumbsup:
I once bought an E34 M5, (greatest car I ever owned) that was on 130000 miles but again it came with FSH and the guy had every MOT and receipt from new, totaling 23k in servicing and work done. I miss that car and look at what they go for today :o

I'm currently driving around in a tired old 06 plate Mini and am long overdue a change, this has only come about as I am due a large payout from the DVLA of all people who f***ed with my life for 4 years, sounds odd I know and if I told you, you would think I was making it up.

I'm going to phone the guy in a bit to see if i can go and view the car this weekend as I really, really like it and it certainly seems to be in fantastic condition with a great level of kit. A friend of mine will probably come with me who is good with cars and its always handy to have an extra pair of eyes.

I wasn't planning on getting one this soon as i didn't want to rush into things but think i would be hard pushed to find another like this in the same condition with the same level of kit and i guess now is quite a good time of year from a buyers perspective? I just didn't want to rush into it like a kid in a sweet shop.

So i will make sure i check the roof is working properly, smooth functions up and down, fluids, colour of oil, wheels, tyres, etc, etc. Any other pointers I should pay special attention to? I know I will need to do more research on run flats as think I'm right that they cause divided opinions???

I'm assuming/hoping though that all will be well based on the guys ad though and top marks to him as all the other ads I had viewed thus far, did not get close to his. I know ultimately he is a seller but fair play for the effort put in as it certainly got my attention.
Did a quick check on Insurance for an idea and for myself and er indoors, fully comp, 10000 miles a year, £350 voluntary excess, no compulsory excess its coming in at £315. I'm surprised at that as it seems very, very reasonable and this cover comes with loan car, medical, legal and breakdown cover. I f I end up getting the car I will also check the insurance company on this forum.

right, lets make the call :o

chilistrucker

Post by chilistrucker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am Thats a lot of car for the money, iDrive PDC front+back I wouldn't be surprised if there's £4k+ in extras on this.
Indeed, plus the nav and Harmon Kardon system.
Will I be impressed with the audio in the car as music is a big thing for me so a cracking system is another big plus from me :thumbsup:
Also quickly before I make the call, thoughts on the manual gearbox :thumbsup: , I'm assuming they are very good. I didn't have a particular preference on this point and I know its all down to individual choice.

TIA

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

I bought a manual 23i on 123k & ran it to 127k.
No way you could feel the miles. It drove faultless & still felt solid with no squeeks or creaks.
Just view it with eyes open like any other car & if it Wows you buy it & enjoy it
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Andyturbo2000

Post by Andyturbo2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 pm

The item description: very fast...lol. Not something I would describe a 23i !!