Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I really tried to like it but.......

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
MarkW

I really tried to like it but.......

Post by MarkW » Sat May 09, 2009 4:59 pm

I just didnt :(

Had a sit in a couple of cars this afternoon, a Sdrive 35i and 23i I think. Having seen it in the flesh, i didn't get that 'i want one' feeling at all like I did when I first saw the Z4 Coupe. Maybe I will get used to it over time, but at the moment there would be a number of cars on my wish list ahead of the new Z4. Not even sure an M would change my mind either :?

Yes, the interior is arguably nicer, but I dont like the heater controls above the stereo....doesn't make sense unless you get the Idrive version. Does seem more of a GT/cruiser than a sports car. There was a nice black 6 series Coupe next to it and I'd much rather that if I was after a GT car. The kidney grilles seem too big, and the rear is just to large and nondescript. Dare I say it.... it needs more of the flame surfacing bangle effect :evil: Not for me.
Z4 2.0i sDrive TVR Tamora Audi S3 Saloon

2 Zero
Lifer
Lifer

Re: I really tried to like it but.......

Post by 2 Zero » Sat May 09, 2009 5:28 pm

I like the back end gives it the 6 Series look but other than that, They can keep it
Out driving my car!!
See ya on the road!!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat May 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Right now, I agree...
I love the 35 engine, the DCT 'box and the adaptive suspension sounds good...
The interior is different yes but better/worse, I can take it or leave it... I too don't like the heater controls...
And there's no getting away from that HUGE looking ass. I'd lays odds that's main focus of the mid-life upgrade which they're probably already working on...

Funny but this car really does remind me more of the Z3 (which is no bad thing...).

Overall, jury is still out....

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Sat May 09, 2009 5:47 pm

Had a look at two (grey and black) today. The interior is better, it's lost all that plastic between the seats and it's generally a nice place to be. The roof is an excellent piece of kit too. prefer the heater controls of the 'old' Z4 but other than that it's a step up market.

However, it is less of a sports car and more of a GT. The 23i I was looking at cost £33k with a half decent spec (but no sat nav). You could add another £3k for sat nav and 19" alloys so it starts to become a very expensive car. Nope, nice but not for me :thumbsdown:
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

ksher
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ksher » Sat May 09, 2009 7:34 pm

sammyz wrote:Had a look at two (grey and black) today. The interior is better, it's lost all that plastic between the seats and it's generally a nice place to be. The roof is an excellent piece of kit too. prefer the heater controls of the 'old' Z4 but other than that it's a step up market.

However, it is less of a sports car and more of a GT. The 23i I was looking at cost £33k with a half decent spec (but no sat nav). You could add another £3k for sat nav and 19" alloys so it starts to become a very expensive car. Nope, nice but not for me :thumbsdown:
Exactly for me. Standard 23i with leather, 18" wheels, Adaptive M Sport Suspension, Sport Seats, metallic paint, etc. to £34k. It is the car without any upgraded communication and entertainment options. I spoke to salesman this morning. He said no discount can be given, new order only comes with 5-year servicing and BMW Driver Training Day. :(

Autoebid can offer me the same car with options for £31.5k, or even less, i.e. £3k discount!!!
Current BMW: 640d Gran Coupe M Sport (F06), 118d SE (F20).
Previous BMW: Z4 sDrive23i M Sport (E89), 318i Sport (F30), 120d SE (F20), Z4 2.5i Sport Roadster (E85), 523i Sport (E60), 323Ci (E46), 523i SE (E39), 318i (E36).

Smokin

Post by Smokin » Sun May 10, 2009 1:14 am

Only the 30i and 35i over here. $$$$$ :(
2007 3.0si coupe, sapphire black, saddle brown extended leather, heated M seats, premium package, sport package, Carver, light poplar wood trim, xenon, headlight washers, 6 spd. Member BMWCCA, ZSCCA, Homecoming 08 Pirate.

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

MarkW wrote:I just didnt :(

Had a sit in a couple of cars this afternoon, a Sdrive 35i and 23i I think. Having seen it in the flesh, i didn't get that 'i want one' feeling at all like I did when I first saw the Z4 Coupe. Maybe I will get used to it over time, but at the moment there would be a number of cars on my wish list ahead of the new Z4. Not even sure an M would change my mind either :?

Yes, the interior is arguably nicer, but I dont like the heater controls above the stereo....doesn't make sense unless you get the Idrive version. Does seem more of a GT/cruiser than a sports car. There was a nice black 6 series Coupe next to it and I'd much rather that if I was after a GT car. The kidney grilles seem too big, and the rear is just to large and nondescript. Dare I say it.... it needs more of the flame surfacing bangle effect :evil: Not for me.
Word for word what I thought also! :wink:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)

Breaker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Breaker » Tue May 12, 2009 8:31 am

Something else that felt odd was the skinny steering wheel after being used to the M wheel in my car! :wink:
3.0si Z4 Coupe then an sDrive 35i Z4. Great cars, now gone. Range Rover Evoque owner now! :)