Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

USB Interface

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
cre8toruk

USB Interface

Post by cre8toruk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 am

Hi All,

quick one hopefully... I've copied some music to a 32GB USB stick (FAT32 formatted) and plugged it in to the USB port under the arm rest. BMW Professional Audio system (I meant to mention that first).... I then go to my music sources from the AUDIO menu and press the USB button... it then says insert above the USB symbol. So I'm a little confused as it doesn't seem to be seeing any of the music i copied or give any indication that it likes the stick...

Do the mp3's on the stick have to be in one folder or any specific folder name ?

Since my phone isn't going to stream via bluetooth without buying a firefly (or similar) all I'm left with is the USB option which I think should work so I'm figuring it's operator error... Ideas ?

thanks in advance,

BMW Z4 E89 28i - Heated everything....
Lotus Elise S MY 2007 (Crumple zone detected stationery vehicle)
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

USB Interface

Post by markplant » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 am

Is there a usb in the glove box, I think the armrest one is just for charging
Or I'm miss remembering stuff again
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

cre8toruk

USB Interface

Post by cre8toruk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:48 am

Hi, thanks just checked, doesn't seem to be anything in the glove box.
usbarmrest.JPG
usbarmrest.JPG (33.09 KiB) Viewed 804 times
The manual seems to indicate it's in the armrest.
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

Broads

USB Interface

Post by Broads » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 pm

I just bought one of these for my phone MP3 needs.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Aux cable is poor quality but it seems to work great so far, only tested on the way to work this morning.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

cerbera

USB Interface

Post by cerbera » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 pm

As far as I am aware the usb in the armrest just charges an mp3 player while plugged into the AUX.
If you have iDrive you will have an internal hard drive which can be filled with music via a usb in the glove box, it's difficult to spot but is squirrelled away in the top righthand corner of the glove box. I guess if you don't have iDrive the USB wont be there.

Zed Baron

USB Interface

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 pm

cerbera wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 pm As far as I am aware the usb in the armrest just charges an mp3 player while plugged into the AUX.
If you have iDrive you will have an internal hard drive which can be filled with music via a usb in the glove box, it's difficult to spot but is squirrelled away in the top righthand corner of the glove box. I guess if you don't have iDrive the USB wont be there.
20181222_132847.jpg
20181222_132847.jpg (207.92 KiB) Viewed 782 times

cre8toruk

USB Interface

Post by cre8toruk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:28 pm

yer no, nothing in there. I don't have idrive (that's the popup screen thing isn't it?) mine is a sunglasses holder :-).
Changed USB sticks with just one folder of music on it and it works !

So it's either the number of MP3's on the stick (about 1,200) or the stick... either way I think I'm sorted for now until I can get a firefly or something else to stream via bluetooth / or a replacement head unit... Anyone else replaced the head unit ? Any recommendations?
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

cre8toruk

USB Interface

Post by cre8toruk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:30 pm

sorry meant to say that it's disappointing that the manual seems to indicate plugging in an iPhone / Ipod via the USB port in the arm rest will work and yet an Android phone won't tcch ! If that's my only gripe then happy days ! :-)
Porsche Boxster
Lotus Elise 111S
Mazda RX8
VW Scirocco GTS
Honda Civic Type R

ric19

USB Interface

Post by ric19 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:01 pm

i use the one under the armrest for a 64Gb Usb stick and it works fine. Try FAT instead instead of FAT32

Pbondar

USB Interface

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 pm

FAT limits the storage to 4 gb...

FAT32 is BMWs recommenced file system....

Storing audio files that a car audio system will replay is an art rather than science..even worst with trying to move playlists...

The correct directory structure is critical...

Most USB systems will see normal usb sticks plus some portable drives that can emulate a usb stick..

iPod support is apple specfuc so android look alikes will not normally work.

Support varies by car model/date of manufacture / manufacturer so there is no substitute for a bit of experimentation unless someone uses an identical configuration successfully previously...

My iPhone usb on the Z4 that did work no longer works courtesy of apple operating system change :headbang:

ric19

USB Interface

Post by ric19 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Well I did mine nearly 6 years ago so it may be FAT32 but I didn't do any fancy work with the files I just dumped them on as they came off my HD, Some are in sub folders and some not but I am able to scroll through and play all of them

AnubisZed

USB Interface

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Firstly, yes it's the USB in the centre console.
Plug-n-play!!
Put your files onto it via a PC in default method and you can place single tracks or whole album files onto it and it should play.

If this all fails then either try another memory stick or see if someone else can load a memory stick for you via a different PC and see if that'll work.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

USB Interface

Post by ronk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:00 pm

I use the centre console USB and the iDrive system sorts out artist/albums/tracks - The tracks were copied from iTunes (iMac) directly to the miniature 32Gb USB - I didn't use any playlists just copy and paste the tracks - there is full functionality from the steering wheel controls.

Give the system time to read the USB stick - It does not play the tracks immediately.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: