Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Position of vacuum line for boost gauge on N52 engine

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi all

I have one of the P3 gauges now fitted to my 2011 E89 sDrive MSport 30i and it works very well showing all sorts of info like temps etc. In order for the boost gauge to work I need to connect up an external sensor (supplied) to the vacuum line near the manifold. I have never worked before on this engine and so would appreciate if anyone knows where I should look (I know, around the manifold! :D) to make sure I measure twice and cut once! The kit supplies all the necessary parts like sensor, rubber tubing and T-joint etc. I just need to be sure I am connecting to the correct point for this engine (N52). Any photos etc would be most welcome.

Many thanks
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:58 pm

ProfCJJ wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:51 pm Hi all

I have one of the P3 gauges now fitted to my 2011 E89 sDrive MSport 30i and it works very well showing all sorts of info like temps etc. In order for the boost gauge to work I need to connect up an external sensor (supplied) to the vacuum line near the manifold. I have never worked before on this engine and so would appreciate if anyone knows where I should look (I know, around the manifold! :D) to make sure I measure twice and cut once! The kit supplies all the necessary parts like sensor, rubber tubing and T-joint etc. I just need to be sure I am connecting to the correct point for this engine (N52). Any photos etc would be most welcome.

Many thanks
Hi, do you mean a vacuum gauge as opposed to a boost gauge as the n52 engine isn’t forced induction? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:58 pm Hi, do you mean a vacuum gauge as opposed to a boost gauge as the n52 engine isn’t forced induction? :?
Rob
Hmm! very good point - the gauge is as shown here: http://www.p3cars.com/bmw/bmw-z-series/ ... lti-gauge/ and it states it displays "Boost and Vacuum" ... it does however state that the external sensor is needed for the N54 engine (I understand mine is a N52) that would seem to imply I don't need the external sensor and I can rely on just OBD?! This seems to contradict the paper I received with the kit.

I might have to contact the supplier about that - thanks for making me think about that!!

Thanks
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

I’m not sure why you’d want a vacuum display? Unless you have a vacuum leak?

Boost is a different matter and for that you’d need a turbo’d Car.

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:55 pm

Vacuum is useful from an economy point of view, but it doesn't give you much in the way of diagnostic information or performance. As soon as you open the throttle more than 30%, the vacuum will drop to pretty much zero in any case
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

ProfCJJ

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks for the replies - I was only fitting it for completeness' sake. Turns out of course its not needed for my engine anyway. I pointed out the error to the manufacturer and they will put it right - it was a "copy and paste" error.

Thanks for all the info all - I learn something new every day here :)

Best
---
Christopher