Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blinded

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hunter

Blinded

Post by Hunter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm
Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am Ive just ordered the glasses you have suggested..will let you know how they perform....
Looking forwards to see your thoughts.
I'm 23 and suffer with the same blinding issue - I don't have any sight issues or wear glasses.
I have just put it down to the stance of the Zed, I try to avoid country roads that I don't know at night. Would appreciate something to help! Can then enjoy the Zed at night without worrying about driving off the damn road! :lol:
I have had the glasses suggested above and im not at all convinced that they are polarised as advertised. They do react to light well though and darken and lighten quite markedly. I haven't really had the option to use them at night yet mainly due to the time of the year (Christmas) but I have quite a long drive to do on the 28th (Nottingham to Glasgow) and then back on the 29th, so il be able to you more then.
E89 S Drive 35iS

road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:14 pm

polarised glasses are wonderful, i did some interesting surveys - rayban are good quality but not all polariod - boots sell genuine polarioid glasses for 23/30 quid - as i say the best is photocromic, because it needs uv to go dark, so in an ordinary car with roof or house its light, but in a zed with the roof down in the sun or cloud - bliss !
btw, did you know the colour temperature of a cloudy day is higher than a sunny day ? which why you wanted sunglasses even more on a cloudy day and never knew why. :o
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Busterboo

Blinded

Post by Busterboo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:40 am

Most surgical intervention to improve visual acuity is temporary - about 5 years, depending on age - and quite expensive. It also has significant risks.

Glasses, in contrast, are easily renewable, relatively cheap and, unless you're very unlucky, risk-free.
Vidi, vici, veni

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by flybobbie » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 am

I have some polarized yellow lensed sunglasses, one evening i sort of forgot to remove them as it got dark, the glare reduction from on coming traffic made driving a lot easier. I should try them out more often.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 am

Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:47 pm Also cataracts can start to form in your 40/50s although they don’t normally become a problem until later on. When I was diagnosed it really had started to effect my night driving. Bright headlights problems are one of the symptoms. I had both my eyes operated on and the difference was incredible. As the lens replacement is made to your prescription my long vision is perfect and night driving is no longer a problem.
Ive had laser surgery to ONE eye and i now have mono vision...(one eye for distance, the other for near) this balances itself out and really did make a huge difference to my life. But im not sure if this is why glare is awful for me.
Poor night vision due to glare and halos around lights is recognised as a temporary or sometimes permanent side effect of laser surgery, so maybe that has a bearing. If you close the operated eye and use just the other eye, does the glare improve?
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by Jembo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am
road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm couple of things, fyi, it seems after 40 ish we lose round 50% of our ability to see at night which why we all get decent bulbs fitted to give us a fighting chance. yellow glasses do work but its dependant on the quality of the lense. Get some polarised glasses i discovered that my sunglasses YES SUNGLASSES work because they are polaroid actually help me to see, so,, find some light polarised sunglasses and you will be amazed. The ultimate are prescription polarised photochromic.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglass ... lasses.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-safety ... L87JC&th=1
Ive just ordered the glasses you have suggested..will let you know how they perform....
I love polarised sunnies, yet some advise (eg Ben Collins) they cut out important elements of light, especially at dusk & dawn due to the lamination of a car’s windscreen.

So suggest use with caution, though if works 4u happy days
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:07 pm
Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am
road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm couple of things, fyi, it seems after 40 ish we lose round 50% of our ability to see at night which why we all get decent bulbs fitted to give us a fighting chance. yellow glasses do work but its dependant on the quality of the lense. Get some polarised glasses i discovered that my sunglasses YES SUNGLASSES work because they are polaroid actually help me to see, so,, find some light polarised sunglasses and you will be amazed. The ultimate are prescription polarised photochromic.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglass ... lasses.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-safety ... L87JC&th=1
Ive just ordered the glasses you have suggested..will let you know how they perform....
I love polarised sunnies, yet some advise (eg Ben Collins) they cut out important elements of light, especially at dusk & dawn due to the lamination of a car’s windscreen.

So suggest use with caution, though if works 4u happy days
I'm sure he is right, but its been a while since i felt the need to clip the apex. hehe, but i think the level of comfort and lack of headaches may compensate
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Andyturbo2000

Blinded

Post by Andyturbo2000 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 am

First world problems gents....file next to ‘Winter Tyres’

philbo909

Blinded

Post by philbo909 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Andyturbo2000 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 am First world problems gents....file next to ‘Winter Tyres’
:fuelfire:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

chasBMW

Blinded

Post by chasBMW » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Andyturbo2000 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:46 am First world problems gents....file next to ‘Winter Tyres’
you are either a tw@t or an idiot i just cant decide which :thumbsdown:
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by Ewazix » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:05 pm

chasBMW wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:43 pm
you are either a tw@t or an idiot i just cant decide which :thumbsdown:
Bit rich from AndyTurbo2000, the guy who's posted questions about the best lube to use on a roof hinge? and the classic First world issue, "help! One of my key fobs won't drop the roof" :poke:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 pm

i think andy is to be praised as he obviously does not need to see or move around in bad weather :lol: I prostrate myself in his presence as i need both, I am old and my sight is failing, :o and my car is rear wheel drive and has as much grip in bad weather as a sponge in a bucket :lol:

Andyturbo2000

Blinded

Post by Andyturbo2000 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Lol. The typical z4 forum poster

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by flybobbie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Would help if the windshield didn't chip so easily. Mine is covered in very fine chips. Probably rare for them to break, due the angle, but in a way can't wait to get a new windshield in.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by flybobbie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Andyturbo2000 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:44 pm Lol. The typical z4 forum poster

Thinks...at what point did i lose the caravan?