Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blinded

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hunter

Blinded

Post by Hunter » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Hey guys, im absolutely hating driving my car at night...the glare from oncoming traffic horrendous. To the point I don't know where I am on the road. Ive always suffered from this to a degree but in the Z4 its awful.
Do the yellow glasses work? I've tried my seat in different positions but to no avail...any suggestions?
E89 S Drive 35iS

IRD

Blinded

Post by IRD » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

My optician tells me the older you get the more difficult it becomes driving at night. I’m well into my seventies now and have noticed a marked deterioration in the last few years. Those who wear contact lenses have even more difficulties and suffer from the notorious star effect. My advice is to seek advice from a decent optician. Perhaps someone recommended by friends or family so you don’t end up with someone who is just going to try and make money out of you.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by Marlon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

One of the joys of a low slung sports car, I see it particularly with oncoming 4x4's / people carriers etc. Often I swear they're on full beam when they're not. With regard to IRD, I started to wear glasses for nighttime driving a few years back on the advice of my optician and they make a huge difference (don't help the blinding though!)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Crazy Harry

Blinded

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:05 pm

Noooo don't do the yellow glasses :o

Often called happy glasses they gather light to make dull days (dusk) brighter - I'm certain its not going to help at night. I live in the sticks so rarely drive under street lights but old advice is the best - When I learnt to drive I was told to look at the road edge when cars approached at night on main beam.

I for one had hoped this problem would go away with the revised MOT test. I guess the problem is that we like to drive fast and to do that at night we lust after brighter and brighter lights. If we all slowed down a bit we could be happy with with non HID lights. Yes I know :rofl: :rofl:

1000rr

Blinded

Post by 1000rr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Use yellow lenses in glasses, works a treat...especially when it’s raining at night :thumbsup:
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Blinded

Post by firebobby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:01 pm

I just close my eyes and point the car :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

David-H

Blinded

Post by David-H » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm

I just use the Cayenne and leave the Z4's at home if the journey isn't short / local. :)
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Blinded

Post by buzyg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm

Out of town. Look away from the lights. Deliberately stare at the road edge as other cars pass by. You can't see past the headlights any way, so don't try. Look away for that second or so and preserve your night vision ready for when the traffic has passed. :)

road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm

couple of things, fyi, it seems after 40 ish we lose round 50% of our ability to see at night which why we all get decent bulbs fitted to give us a fighting chance. yellow glasses do work but its dependant on the quality of the lense. Get some polarised glasses i discovered that my sunglasses YES SUNGLASSES work because they are polaroid actually help me to see, so,, find some light polarised sunglasses and you will be amazed. The ultimate are prescription polarised photochromic.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglass ... lasses.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainbow-safety ... L87JC&th=1
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Hunter

Blinded

Post by Hunter » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am

road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm couple of things, fyi, it seems after 40 ish we lose round 50% of our ability to see at night which why we all get decent bulbs fitted to give us a fighting chance. yellow glasses do work but its dependant on the quality of the lense. Get some polarised glasses i discovered that my sunglasses YES SUNGLASSES work because they are polaroid actually help me to see, so,, find some light polarised sunglasses and you will be amazed. The ultimate are prescription polarised photochromic.

Ive just ordered the glasses you have suggested..will let you know how they perform....
E89 S Drive 35iS

philiph

Blinded

Post by philiph » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:54 am

road warrior wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:42 pm couple of things, fyi, it seems after 40 ish we lose round 50% of our ability to see at night which why we all get decent bulbs fitted to give us a fighting chance. yellow glasses do work but its dependant on the quality of the lense. Get some polarised glasses i discovered that my sunglasses YES SUNGLASSES work because they are polaroid actually help me to see, so,, find some light polarised sunglasses and you will be amazed. The ultimate are prescription polarised photochromic.

I agree with this, if my eyes are having an argument with my brain for night driving, sunglasses come out and it is vastly improved.
2017 Estoril Blue 2.0 Z4
Good spec, Only 2 pedals but other bits added to make up for that omission

Tinker15

Blinded

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Also cataracts can start to form in your 40/50s although they don’t normally become a problem until later on. When I was diagnosed it really had started to effect my night driving. Bright headlights problems are one of the symptoms. I had both my eyes operated on and the difference was incredible. As the lens replacement is made to your prescription my long vision is perfect and night driving is no longer a problem.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Hunter

Blinded

Post by Hunter » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:47 pm Also cataracts can start to form in your 40/50s although they don’t normally become a problem until later on. When I was diagnosed it really had started to effect my night driving. Bright headlights problems are one of the symptoms. I had both my eyes operated on and the difference was incredible. As the lens replacement is made to your prescription my long vision is perfect and night driving is no longer a problem.
Ive had laser surgery to ONE eye and i now have mono vision...(one eye for distance, the other for near) this balances itself out and really did make a huge difference to my life. But im not sure if this is why glare is awful for me.
E89 S Drive 35iS

Tinker15

Blinded

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:50 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:47 pm Also cataracts can start to form in your 40/50s although they don’t normally become a problem until later on. When I was diagnosed it really had started to effect my night driving. Bright headlights problems are one of the symptoms. I had both my eyes operated on and the difference was incredible. As the lens replacement is made to your prescription my long vision is perfect and night driving is no longer a problem.
Ive had laser surgery to ONE eye and i now have mono vision...(one eye for distance, the other for near) this balances itself out and really did make a huge difference to my life. But im not sure if this is why glare is awful for me.
I guess it is possible. Some people have their cataract lens replacement done with one long distance and one for close. I wasn’t sure if I could cope with it so went for the more normal long distance and use varifocals for reading and computer use.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Marekdawg

Blinded

Post by Marekdawg » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Hunter wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am Ive just ordered the glasses you have suggested..will let you know how they perform....
Looking forwards to see your thoughts.
I'm 23 and suffer with the same blinding issue - I don't have any sight issues or wear glasses.
I have just put it down to the stance of the Zed, I try to avoid country roads that I don't know at night. Would appreciate something to help! Can then enjoy the Zed at night without worrying about driving off the damn road! :lol:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving: