Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blinded

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:56 pm

im glad you said that , it was my opinion too, but i was told no.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Blinded

Post by road warrior » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 am

These clip on jobbies I have bought , I'm rather impressed there is no doubt the dark ones are polarized, but the yellow ones are something special too, I have yet to use them on wet or dark, but I note something very weird, in daylight it shows car windscreens as yellow, the colours are the same as normal with a slight tinge but it sees laminated screens as yellow - like a filter, clear on side windows. I will report again after Saturday when it rains
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

mcbutler

Blinded

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Well I am 56, I have no troubles like this, don't wear or need glasses and still 20 - 20 as of last eye test 3 months back.
Guess its genetics to a degree, I also have very dark brown eyes which apparently reduce glare as less light bleeds through the coloured portion of the eye!!
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Nick9one1

Blinded

Post by Nick9one1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 am

road warrior wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:38 pm
Hunter wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:38 pm
Marekdawg wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm Looking forwards to see your thoughts.
I'm 23 and suffer with the same blinding issue - I don't have any sight issues or wear glasses.
I have just put it down to the stance of the Zed, I try to avoid country roads that I don't know at night. Would appreciate something to help! Can then enjoy the Zed at night without worrying about driving off the damn road! :lol:
I have had the glasses suggested above and im not at all convinced that they are polarised as advertised. They do react to light well though and darken and lighten quite markedly. I haven't really had the option to use them at night yet mainly due to the time of the year (Christmas) but I have quite a long drive to do on the 28th (Nottingham to Glasgow) and then back on the 29th, so il be able to you more then.
if they darken then they cant be polarised , i have been told its not possible to have polarised glasses darken - its one or the other.
Polarised lenses do absolutely darken, they have a bias to blocking light that vibrates in one direction.

The reason they are good for driving is that light reflected from the road is mostly polarised vertically. Sunglasses are polarised horizontally, so they block out a lot more of the reflected glare.

The way to test for a polarised lens is to get a 'known' pair of polarised sunglasses, e.g. Oakley's with a Prizm lens. Put them Infront of the pair you are testing, when both are at the same angle you should be able to see through. Rotate them to 90 degrees and they should go almost completely black.

Or instead on the second pair you can do it with an LCD screen.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

boatyhacker

Blinded

Post by boatyhacker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:15 pm

I had this problem when driving at night for a long time, and it turned out that I did have a slight vision issue, that wouldn’t have been worth bothering to correct, if it weren’t for the night blindness thing.

I now have a pair of glasses that I wear primarily for driving at night and the problem has certainly lessened, if not entirely gone away.

red_35is

Blinded

Post by red_35is » Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 am

Just got in from a night drive. In some parts the council switch off the street lights pass a certain time, so drivers have their full beams on.

I wore these and they really do help...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Blinded

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:26 pm Looking forwards to see your thoughts.
I'm 23 and suffer with the same blinding issue - I don't have any sight issues or wear glasses.
I have just put it down to the stance of the Zed, I try to avoid country roads that I don't know at night. Would appreciate something to help! Can then enjoy the Zed at night without worrying about driving off the damn road!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you had an eye test?

I had perfect vision in my late teens, but in my early 20s I could hardly see at night when it was wet - every street-light looked like a star!

I gave in and had an eye test and got contact lenses - the optician told me they'd be much better than my glasses. I said "what glasses"? He told me I shouldn't have been driving with eye-sight like that - oops. :oops:

It definitely helps to look at the left hand kerb when cars are going the other way - even equipped with just my Z4 Halogen candles I don't have a problem at night on unlit roads. Apart from when people don't dip their lights. :headbang:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Marekdawg

Blinded

Post by Marekdawg » Mon May 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:49 pm Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you had an eye test?
I had perfect vision in my late teens, but in my early 20s I could hardly see at night when it was wet - every street-light looked like a star!
I gave in and had an eye test and got contact lenses - the optician told me they'd be much better than my glasses. I said "what glasses"? He told me I shouldn't have been driving with eye-sight like that - oops. :oops:
It definitely helps to look at the left hand kerb when cars are going the other way - even equipped with just my Z4 Halogen candles I don't have a problem at night on unlit roads. Apart from when people don't dip their lights. :headbang:
Thanks buddy,
I've got another test upcoming, though last one 2yrs ago said everything was perfect :) - I did some research a while back though. It seems that there is a reoccurring theme in my family. When looking at lights at night there seems to be a 'star' effect. This seems to be genetic and roughly about 50% of the population get it, while the other half are fine.. so going back and asking some more questions to the opticians! Might need 'night glasses' but we shall see! :thumbsup: or will I?... :rofl:

I also changed to the better bulbs, and also had my auto-leveling fixed... :headbang: this seems to have fixed a big main issue :driving:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Blinded

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:12 pm Thanks buddy,
I've got another test upcoming, though last one 2yrs ago said everything was perfect - I did some research a while back though. It seems that there is a reoccurring theme in my family. When looking at lights at night there seems to be a 'star' effect. This seems to be genetic and roughly about 50% of the population get it, while the other half are fine.. so going back and asking some more questions to the opticians! Might need 'night glasses' but we shall see! or will I?...
That sounds like what Mrs Tidy has always suffered from, but we never got a specific diagnosis. She just found lights hard to deal with after dark - even in the living room watching TV she wanted them dimmed really low!

Hope you get some answers, and better still a solution. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black