Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M4 Front Brake Caliper Retrofit

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm

With the calipers from the M4 and as said normally a 380mm disc, what pads are used with the 370mm disc?
Or do the pads hang off the edge of the disc?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:50 pm When researching I when on realoem and took part numbers off of a 2016 440i. I don't think it matters what year as long as its the 370mm discs however I can attest that 2016 works.
Likewise, any year M4 or F series M3 for the calipers, I believe the are the same calipers on the 440i however the particular ones I got hold of were from an M4 so used M4 part numbers for the pads.

I'll get in contact with some of the parts suppliers and see how much I can get them to cut prices down by too :thumbsup:
Thanks for your effort in this, some prices and lists of the correct parts to get would be great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheers
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm
Jollyjoiner wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:16 pm I'm interested in this thread. So this sounds like they bolt straight on, does the caliper need the carrier too or is it a case of old off and new straight on ? As for the discs is there a year of car they come from ? same with the Calipers ?

Might need to start myself a search for some, I bet they a tidy price though :(
Settle yourself down Nigel lad.....you’ve only just bought the piggin thing.... :poke: :P
Says he thats has his the same amount of time and is doing loads of mods already :rofl: :poke:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:27 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:20 pm Very interesting read on the M3 parts Player...something I’ll definately be doing. :thumbsup:

I also wondered about using the line lock from PB brakes for fitting the whole M4 brake kit if the rears will fit too.
Good to hear! If you do it and any questions pop up, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help :thumbsup:

I did look into the rear brakes and I don't think there's anything that's going to swap over from other cars without fabricating adaptor brackets. If it wasn't for the electric handbrake it'd be a lot easier!

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm With the calipers from the M4 and as said normally a 380mm disc, what pads are used with the 370mm disc?
When I looked on realoem there were two different part numbers for the M4 pad and the 440i pad at first however closer inspection showed that one supersedes the other and there's other part numbers that supersede that. In terms of size and shape, they are both the same though and both correlate to the same numbers from manufactures such as TRW and Brembo.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:53 pm With the calipers from the M4 and as said normally a 380mm disc, what pads are used with the 370mm disc?
When I looked on realoem there were two different part numbers for the M4 pad and the 440i pad at first however closer inspection showed that one supersedes the other and there's other part numbers that supersede that. In terms of size and shape, they are both the same though and both correlate to the same numbers from manufactures such as TRW and Brembo.
Just in my head if the pads are attached to the caliper and they are made for 380mm discs when you go down to 370mm discs surely there will be 5mm of pad hanging over the edge of the disc.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Player 1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:27 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:20 pm Very interesting read on the M3 parts Player...something I’ll definately be doing. :thumbsup:

I also wondered about using the line lock from PB brakes for fitting the whole M4 brake kit if the rears will fit too.
Good to hear! If you do it and any questions pop up, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to help :thumbsup:

I did look into the rear brakes and I don't think there's anything that's going to swap over from other cars without fabricating adaptor brackets. If it wasn't for the electric handbrake it'd be a lot easier!
:thumbsup:

Are you on standard springs and adaptive shocks Player? I don’t really want mine lowered and want to keep the ride comfort, but at the same time take out some of the ‘jelliness’ and tighten it up as much as possible. Sounds like you’re of a similar thinking no?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:56 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 pm
Player 1 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm
Just in my head if the pads are attached to the caliper and they are made for 380mm discs when you go down to 370mm discs surely there will be 5mm of pad hanging over the edge of the disc.
Nobody have any opinions on this?
If I am right, after these have been fitted for thousands of miles the overhanging pad will eventually come into contact with the overhanging pad on the other side of the disc and then you will have no brakes.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 pm

5mm could be neatly ground off the outside pad edge if need be, no different to them being worn down.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:04 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 pm 5mm could be neatly ground off the outside pad edge if need be, no different to them being worn down.
Yep thats fair enough. This could be done but has it? They could also be ground down later if they are getting close to contact but this would need to be remembered.
It does beg the question though, why not just use 440 calipers that are made for 370mm discs.
They look the same to me, are there any performance differences?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:04 pm
john-e89 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 pm 5mm could be neatly ground off the outside pad edge if need be, no different to them being worn down.
Yep thats fair enough. This could be done but has it? They could also be ground down later if they are getting close to contact but this would need to be remembered.
It does beg the question though, why not just use 440 calipers that are made for 370mm discs.
You should be able to yes, it’s just in Players case he had calipers off an M4 so used the part number for those.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm not really sure what else to say other than they don't overlap the disc?
I've just gone to take a look and there's definitely no overlap, I couldn't get the camera to focus between the wheel and caliper but could feel where the pad meets disc and did take a photo of the disc itself and as you can see there's a line just at the edge of the disc where the pads end.

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, I imagine the difference between the M cars and standard isn't in the caliper or pad but in the wheel carrier and how it mounts the caliper further away from the centre point of the wheel.
Last edited by Player 1 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:08 pm

john-e89 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 pm :thumbsup:

Are you on standard springs and adaptive shocks Player? I don’t really want mine lowered and want to keep the ride comfort, but at the same time take out some of the ‘jelliness’ and tighten it up as much as possible. Sounds like you’re of a similar thinking no?
I'm on standard springs and passive dampers. I completely agree with you re lowering, been there, done that and it's more hassle than it's worth! :lol:
I fitted the anti roll bars before the M3 bits, they do exactly what they say on the tin and really help with confidence more than anything. They have a minor effect on the ride over really bad surfaces but 99% of the time you won't tell.
The M3 suspension bits have no noticeable impact on ride quality at all, if anything it's better because you've just replaced worn bushes with new.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Player 1 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 pm
I'm not really sure what else to say other than they don't overlap the disc?
I've just gone to take a look and there's definitely no overlap, I couldn't get the camera to focus between the wheel and caliper but could feel where the pad meets disc and did take a photo of the disc itself and as you can see there's a line just at the edge of the disc where the pads end.

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, I imagine the difference between the M cars and standard isn't in the caliper or pad but in the wheel carrier and how it mounts the caliper further away from the centre point of the wheel.
Cool. You could be right if the calipers are definately the same. I would imagine then that the 380mm discs might have fitted if the carrier was changed as well.
I only pointed this out as I wouldnt have wanted anybody to fit something that could possibly have turned out to be dangerous.

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:16 am

For sure Nictrix, now I've got a couple hundred miles on them I'm pleased to say these have worked really well indeed.
The pedal feel is much more reminiscent of the 911`s and Boxster's I've driven and are a step up in terms of outright capability over the old brakes which themselves weren't bad.