Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

sdrive20i Re-map - Ecotune Glasgow

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pyranha

Post by Pyranha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 am

With my approved used warranty finished I decided to get my z4 sdrive20i remapped. This had been the plan prior to purchase but I wanted to make sure the engine was a good one and get the most from my warranty to deal with any general and powertrain related problems before taking the plunge. So following a final service at BMW where I got 2 new rear springs from my warranty it was time to get it booked in for the remap.

I done a little research into my options for getting the remap locally. Most options were agents for other companies and just programmed the map with no rolling road or customisation. Even though I knew it would cost a little more I really wanted a rolling road before and after the remap to make sure that the engine was in good health and that the map had delivered the expected results. I found a company in Glasgow called Ecotune that offered this exact service and seemed to be highly regarded with excellent reviews online.

I called and had a good chat with the owner Stan on the phone, he was friendly and took the time to answer my questions and he booked me in for a Saturday morning - Which was perfect as I work Monday - Friday.

I turned up at 10am on the Saturday morning of my booking. Ecotune operate from a unit in an industrial estate in the Hillington area of Glasgow. They have a nice reception area with viewing windows into the workshop where the dyno is so you can see exactly what is going on. There are screens in the reception area so you can see all the power and torque stats from the dyno runs that are in progress. Stan carried out all the work on the car and made me a nice cup of tea before we got started.

My z4 was first on the dyno for the day for it's initial pre-remap run. It generated 193.3bhp @ 5020 rpm and 235.3 ft.lbs of torque at 3610 rpm (plot picture below). I was thinking at this point that the dyno might be a little over optimistic but my z had a full tank of 98RON fuel and I had flushed 3 tanks of the good stuff through in preparation. Next Step was to get the new map loaded to the ECU.

Unfortunately the N20 ECU in the e89 is one of the few cars that can not be re-flashed directly via the OBD port. It can be done in the F-series cars, but in the e89 the electronics are a bit of a frankenstein with the e-series platform mated to an engine ECU intended for the F-series cars. So the ECU needs to be removed to re-flash it (This might change in the future but with the e89 being the only BMW in this ). So my car came off the dyno and the ECU was removed.

A small hole is drilled in the case of the ECU (Bosch MEVD17.2.4) in order to enable access to the serial boot pin on the Microcontroller (Infineon Tri-Core 1797). A harness is then connected to the ports on the ECU from the reflash/tuning tool and the ECU is powered up in serial boot mode to enable the map to be flashed. The small hole is then sealed to ensure no moisture can get into the ECU. As I plan to use the car for long road trips (first road trip write up coming soon) where I can not always guarantee I will get higher octane fuel I asked that the car be setup safely to be able to run on both just incase - I will put the good stuff in where possible. So the ignition timing was relaxed slightly from the most aggressive remap setting (I think it was relaxed by 1.5 degrees). This means I will probably not get top results on the dyno but I have the flexibility I requested with reduced risk to the engine if I can only get low octane fuel.

While my ECU was getting removed, flashed and refitted I watched other customers cars go on the dyno, get remapped quickly via the OBD port and see their results. It was very enjoyable to talk cars with the other customers in the waiting lounge and see their performance gains. I seen a A5 2.0tdi, RS3 and 330d and they all seemed to pull exactly factory bhp fugues on their initial run which give me confidence in the accuracy of the dyno.

My car then went back on the dyno (picture below) for some test runs. It consistently pulled about the same figures on each run 270bhp @ 5610 rpm and 310 ft.lbs of torque @ 2560 rpm (Pre and post remap bhp and torque plots picture below). Stan then took the car off the dyno and I was instructed to take it for a test drive to check I was happy before coming back to pay my bill.

The difference is substantial - you really feel it to start with then start to get used to it. It is easier to drive with the additional torque, pulls away better, its much smoother, pushes you into the seat a little when you really give it the full power, much easier to over take etc. I am much happier with the car now than I was before. It really puts a smile on my face. If you have not done it I would recommend it. I have driven it for a month post re-map and jump out of bed every morning to drive it to work now. The diesel 5 door is not getting used much!

Post remap dyno run (Sorry I never washed it before hand!):
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg (184.14 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
Dyno plots:
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg (277.86 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
PS. I informed my insurance provider prior to getting the remap and provided them with the plots after. Premium increased by ~17%.
Last edited by Pyranha on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 am

Excellent post.
Vidi, vici, veni

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 am

193 to 270bhp is amazing considering there's no change of hardware involved, ie, everything's still within tolerances using stock parts :thumbsup:
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm

How would the insurer ever know if it had been remapped ?
Its not like anything externally has been altered
ie surely its impossible to prove
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Mad Professor

Post by Mad Professor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Pyranha wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 am With my approved used warranty finished I decided to get my z4 sdrive20i remapped. This had been the plan prior to purchase but I wanted to make sure the engine was a good one and get the most from my warranty to deal with any general and powertrain related problems before taking the plunge. So following a final service at BMW where I got 2 new rear springs from my warranty it was time to get it booked in for the remap.

I done a little research into my options for getting the remap locally. Most options were agents for other companies and just programmed the map with no rolling road or customisation. Even though I knew it would cost a little more I really wanted a rolling road before and after the remap to make sure that the engine was in good health and that the map had delivered the expected results. I found a company in Glasgow called Ecotune that offered this exact service and seemed to be highly regarded with excellent reviews online.

I called and had a good chat with the owner Stan on the phone, he was friendly and took the time to answer my questions and he booked me in for a Saturday morning - Which was perfect as I work Monday - Friday.

I turned up at 10am on the Saturday morning of my booking. Ecotune operate from a unit in an industrial estate in the Hillington area of Glasgow. They have a nice reception area with viewing windows into the workshop where the dyno is so you can see exactly what is going on. There are screens in the reception area so you can see all the power and torque stats from the dyno runs that are in progress. Stan carried out all the work on the car and made me a nice cup of tea before we got started.

My z4 was first on the dyno for the day for it's initial pre-remap run. It generated 193.3bhp @ 5020 rpm and 235.3 ft.lbs of torque at 3610 rpm (plot picture below). I was thinking at this point that the dyno might be a little over optimistic but my z had a full tank of 98RON fuel and I had flushed 3 tanks of the good stuff through in preparation. Next Step was to get the new map loaded to the ECU.

Unfortunately the N20 ECU in the e89 is one of the few cars that can not be re-flashed directly via the OBD port. It can be done in the F-series cars, but in the e89 the electronics are a bit of a frankenstein with the e-series platform mated to an engine ECU intended for the F-series cars. So the ECU needs to be removed to re-flash it (This might change in the future but with the e89 being the only BMW in this ). So my car came off the dyno and the ECU was removed.

A small hole is drilled in the case of the ECU (Bosch MEVD17.2.4) in order to enable access to the serial boot pin on the Microcontroller (Infineon Tri-Core 1797). A harness is then connected to the ports on the ECU from the reflash/tuning tool and the ECU is powered up in serial boot mode to enable the map to be flashed. The small hole is then sealed to ensure no moisture can get into the ECU. As I plan to use the car for long road trips (first road trip write up coming soon) where I can not always guarantee I will get higher octane fuel I asked that the car be setup safely to be able to run on both just incase - I will put the good stuff in where possible. So the ignition timing was relaxed slightly from the most aggressive remap setting (I think it was relaxed by 1.5 degrees). This means I will probably not get top results on the dyno but I have the flexibility I requested with reduced risk to the engine if I can only get low octane fuel.

While my ECU was getting removed, flashed and refitted I watched other customers cars go on the dyno, get remapped quickly via the OBD port and see their results. It was very enjoyable to talk cars with the other customers in the waiting lounge and see their performance gains. I seen a A5 2.0tdi, RS3 and 330d and they all seemed to pull exactly factory bhp fugues on their initial run which give me confidence in the accuracy of the dyno.

My car then went back on the dyno (picture below) for some test runs. It consistently pulled about the same figures on each run 270bhp @ 5610 rpm and 310 ft.lbs of torque @ 2560 rpm (Pre and post remap bhp and torque plots picture below). Stan then took the car off the dyno and I was instructed to take it for a test drive to check I was happy before coming back to pay my bill.

The difference is substantial - you really feel it to start with then start to get used to it. It is easier to drive with the additional torque, pulls away better, its much smoother, pushes you into the seat a little when you really give it the full power, much easier to over take etc. I am much happier with the car now than I was before. It really puts a smile on my face. If you have not done it I would recommend it. I have driven it for a month post re-map and jump out of bed every morning to drive it to work now. The diesel 5 door is not getting used much!

Post remap dyno run (Sorry I never washed it before hand!): IMG_0035.jpg

Dyno plots:IMG_0044.jpg

PS. I informed my insurance provider prior to getting the remap and provided them with the plots after. Premium increased by ~17%.
BTW might you be able to share with us how much all this cost incl VAT ?
Usually a simple remap without RR costs cicra £500
Are you going to your deisel donw now as well ?
Present : 987 Box
Past history : ,Z4MR ,Cat HPC evo , XKR , Eunos VR , Eunos VS, Westie S8 ,TVR S2 , S54 Z3MR, SL500 , TVR Wedge 4.6 , Cat Xflow , Saab 900 Turbo ,Cat VXE ,Cat BDR, Cat Twincam , Elan S3 , Haldane Healey, Lancia HF turbo

Pyranha

Post by Pyranha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:04 pm

BTW might you be able to share with us how much all this cost incl VAT ?
Total cost was £499 including VAT. I paid a £50 deposit on the day of the booking and the balance on the day - after I completed the test drive
Are you going to your deisel donw now as well ?
No. It is a tool car - 118d Sport lease special - I am happy with it as it is.
How would the insurer ever know if it had been remapped ?
The chances are low, the repercussions are high. Not worth the risk. It is a series modification to the vehicles power. However if you were involved in a serious incident and the insurance company sent the Car or ECU to an expert/dealer it is easily detectable.

Burple

Post by Burple » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm

Excellent. I had exactly the same experience with Ecotune in July this year, so much so that I thought briefly you'd nicked one of my pics :rofl: MyZ is white too, different wheels tho :rofl:
Mine however is the 18i, with only (sorry, HAD only) 155bhp (174 on their dyno), so I was even more impressed with the 269.0 it pulled after!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Mad Professor wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 pm How would the insurer ever know if it had been remapped ?
I would think the only time an insurer would get involved that deeply to find out if a car had been mapped would be after a fatal accident.
Other than that you could have purchased a car that has already been mapped and didnt know.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Pyranha

Post by Pyranha » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Burple wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:49 pm Excellent. I had exactly the same experience with Ecotune in July this year, so much so that I thought briefly you'd nicked one of my pics MyZ is white too, different wheels tho
Mine however is the 18i, with only (sorry, HAD only) 155bhp (174 on their dyno), so I was even more impressed with the 269.0 it pulled after!!
Pleased to hear you are enjoying it!

How are you getting on with the 19's on our pot holed roads?

Burple

Post by Burple » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Pyranha wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Honestly not too bad yet this year round our way.. I'm over near Perth in semi-wilderness.. the tractor muck on the roads is worse- for a white car! 😂😂😂💩

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Burple wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Honestly not too bad yet this year round our way.. I'm over near Perth in semi-wilderness.. the tractor muck on the roads is worse- for a white car! 😂😂😂💩
The A9 used to be a wonderful road to drive on..until those bloody average speed cameras buggered it up...do you know if they have actually caught anyone? They work in pairs and i spend all my time wondering if im in a paired area or not. Someone told me that they are off most of the time...not sure how true this is. Stirling to Inverness drive is now ruined :(
E89 S Drive 35iS

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Burple wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm

The A9 used to be a wonderful road to drive on..until those bloody average speed cameras buggered it up...do you know if they have actually caught anyone? They work in pairs and i spend all my time wondering if im in a paired area or not. Someone told me that they are off most of the time...not sure how true this is. Stirling to Inverness drive is now ruined :(
Can’t you stop halfway & have a cuppa or something? That should bring the average down a tad :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:09 pm
Hunter wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Burple wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm Honestly not too bad yet this year round our way.. I'm over near Perth in semi-wilderness.. the tractor muck on the roads is worse- for a white car! 😂😂😂💩
Can’t you stop halfway & have a cuppa or something? That should bring the average down a tad :P
Rob
There would be plenty of opportunity ...99miles of it :(
E89 S Drive 35iS

Burple

Post by Burple » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am

Yup.. another great road.. ruined. Especially when you get stuck behind an HGV sitting at the 50 limit for them :headbang:
At least we still have a few other fun roads fr now.. North Coast 500, Blairgowrie to Braemar.. Creiff up to Fort William and on to Inverness, and a few cheeky 'less used' alternatives :thumbsup: :D :D

Incidentally, was up at Braemar with the doggo a few weeks back, first time I've been up there in the Z, thought it would be a good chance to stretch its legs a bit after the map.. WOW.. they really come into their own on proper roads. I used to ahave a JCW S Mini.. now I'm really not sure which was more fun :rofl:

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 am

Burple wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 am Yup.. another great road.. ruined. Especially when you get stuck behind an HGV sitting at the 50 limit for them :headbang:
At least we still have a few other fun roads fr now.. North Coast 500, Blairgowrie to Braemar.. Creiff up to Fort William and on to Inverness, and a few cheeky 'less used' alternatives :thumbsup: :D :D

Incidentally, was up at Braemar with the doggo a few weeks back, first time I've been up there in the Z, thought it would be a good chance to stretch its legs a bit after the map.. WOW.. they really come into their own on proper roads. I used to ahave a JCW S Mini.. now I'm really not sure which was more fun :rofl:
Im originally from a small town about 40 miles north of Inverness, but now live in Nottingham so its a drive i do quite a few times a year, Its about a 500 mile drive and the A9 used to be a pleasure..but now i dread it..and after 350 miles i really cant be bothered with a diversion to a better road. Ruined it totally.
E89 S Drive 35iS