Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remap confusion

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hunter

Remap confusion

Post by Hunter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Hey guys, all the enquiries im making at different mappers are telling me that roughly 360bhp is possible without mods on the 35iS..but MHD are saying a flash alone will give 390bhp...who is correct?
E89 S Drive 35iS

R.E92

Remap confusion

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:50 am

MHD is correct. You can go higher without mods but 390 is for the conservative stage1+ tune.

These "mappers" will just be selling pre-made maps which come with an estimate power figure. I would avoid anyone other than Evolve in the UK for a remap. Even then Evolve tunes will be limited compared to what MHD provides.

djstan

Remap confusion

Post by djstan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 am

Why is MHD so much better then?
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Hunter

Remap confusion

Post by Hunter » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Ive contacted Celtic Tuning, they say they can do a 392 bhp map and a mobile service ...i think they have a decent rep.
E89 S Drive 35iS

R.E92

Remap confusion

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:30 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:07 am Why is MHD so much better then?
MHD doesn't just alter values in the existing logic of the ECU, they have written custom logic.
There's custom code for boost limiting by gear, wastegate control and logic which changes ignition timing in real-time based on ethanol blend of fuel.

Aside from that, the basic tunes they provide off the shelf have been constantly tweaked and improved over the course of the apps development. It now has 50,000+ people using it so there's much more scrutiny on how the maps perform.
Maps from normal garages will just be old canned maps with limited R&D. Once applied there will be no updates and improvements made.

djstan

Remap confusion

Post by djstan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm

So this would mean that it could/would be better than a custom rolling road remap because there have been more people using (and therefore 'testing') it?
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

R.E92

Remap confusion

Post by R.E92 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:22 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm So this would mean that it could/would be better than a custom rolling road remap because there have been more people using (and therefore 'testing') it?
Short answer is yes. A custom map is not really needed on a standard car or a car with standard bolt-on parts like an intercooler or catless downpipes, the garage might tell you that all cars need tuning differently to justify using their services but the only real variables that matter when tuning this engine is environmental factors such as elevation, humidity and ambient temperature and the grade of fuel being used.

In the UK the environmental factors are very stable, there's no reason to have a summer map and winter map when our temperature range is so stable. We are also mostly at sea level, not like citizens of Colorado, so the standard tuning is fine.
With fuel you just need to choose between 91 octane and 93 octane since they are our only choices here.

Realistically the tuner won't be doing any meaningful customisation, it's all for show since the map he is applying will have already been tested on other cars.
Dyno tuning is a great way of developing a map but in my opinion street tuning gives better feedback for making slight map changes. On a dyno you aren't getting a realistic airflow across the intercooler so charge temps will not match what the car will see on the street and depending on the type of dyno the engine is not loaded in the way it will be on the street.