Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Worst tyre experience - overall sh** day

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:53 pm

okay so ama start off with the positives @mrwilks for the recommendation on going up on the rears and changing from run flats to non run flats (e89 z4 294 v spoke alloys previously some Bridgestone Potenza runflats - possibly borderline illegal thread so was aware of it). So I went ahead and purchased the Toyo proxy sport 225 40 for the fronts and toyo proxy t1 sport 245 40 on the rears - best decisions and the first 10 mile drive - WOW, steering wheel wobble/ tichyness gone - cabin noise - what cabin noise :D and the drive and smoothness of the steering wheel !!!! YAASS, not to mention going over bumps and other things - like butter!!!

Anyways to the bad bits - Turned up to the fitters and he turned around and said you've got wrong tyres on the rears "Im aware ive gone up on the rears, i don't see the harm and majority of z4 users tend to do the same across the forums." - wrong tyres not going to work you sure. understandable yes go for it. He then turned around after to say you do know you got to notify insurance about changing from run flats to non run flats (not sure about this will ring up insurance based on your guys feed back). He fitted it everything was great went to pay and he put down on the receipt " told customer wrong tyres were selected however he went ahead and forced us to go ahead with it). So was contemplating just loosing my top going else were for an alignment but thought id forget it just get them to do it. Again the level of disrespect and how arsy he was fuming. Anyways top jolly went on my drive to test these bad boys out beautiful until i went to my usual testing spot short dual carriage way with a limit of 70 and leading up to it a 40 mph limit. turns out they placed average speed cameras on the 40mph area now im scared cuz i dont entirely know if i was driving up the 40.

btw i wasnt aware of this so hopefully this helps someone else out. Once everythings was done i got the tyre pressure sensor light on my dash (dont have idrive) little skeptical went to reset it did a little googling ( to reset find the error - press bc once then press bc again and hold until a tick comes up and your done) resetting the

But overall I would prefer to leave the company a bad review however they seem to have done my tyres and alignment perfectly just the customer service was :headbang:. I need some help from you guys, what tyre repair kit should i buy, and yall pray i dont get a speeding ticket :D .

BTW any of you in leicester and want to be made aware of this tyre place give me a shout.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Sound like a total cockwomble.

You should tell your insurance company though. They are unlikely to care but it’s worth getting a note from them to confirm as such.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:12 pm

MrPT wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:08 pm Sound like a total cockwomble.

You should tell your insurance company though. They are unlikely to care but it’s worth getting a note from them to confirm as such.
appreciate it MrPT, and il give them a ring tomorrow to see whats up.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Did you check the tyre pressures before resetting the TPMS?
Just because a garage fitted new tyres for you doesnt mean they set the pressures correctly.
The TPMS only works properly if it is set with the correct pressures to begin with.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 pm Did you check the tyre pressures before resetting the TPMS?
Just because a garage fitted new tyres for you doesnt mean they set the pressures correctly.
The TPMS only works properly if it is set with the correct pressures to begin with.
To be honest no i didnt, i didnt even know i had TPMS until the light came on. I did ask and he set it to the recommended 3 & 3.2 bar. I was going look over the forums for recommended tyre pressures for 18 non run flats I remember @mrwilks saying front at 34psi and rears at 37 psi but I will head over tomorrow and get it double checked.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Adil_3 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 pm Did you check the tyre pressures before resetting the TPMS?
To be honest no i didnt, i didnt even know i had TPMS until the light came on. I did ask and he set it to the recommended 3 & 3.2 bar. I was going look over the forums for recommended tyre pressures for 18 non run flats I remember @mrwilks saying front at 34psi and rears at 37 psi but I will head over tomorrow and get it double checked.
If its 18" the recommended by BMW is 2.5bar front and 3.0bar rear.
19" is less.
Check the sticker on the door sill.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm
Adil_3 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:33 pm
If its 18" the recommended by BMW is 2.5bar front and 3.0bar rear.
19" is less.
Check the sticker on the door sill.
I mean the sensors havnt played up yet but I will double check and make sure everything is spot on. But appreciate it Nictrix!!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Well, I suppose it was good that you got what you wanted, they are a huge improvement and that the alignment seems to have been done right!

But the guy sounds like a bit of an a**hole - although that's probably not fair as they are useful. :lol:

Anyway I'm sure you won't be a repeat customer. :roll:

As for repair kit I think you can buy one from BMW, but it won't be cheap! Most people seem to like Holts Tyreweld - it comes in 2 sizes and you need the bigger one for wheels 17" or larger (it was on special offer in Tesco last week) and then a 12v compressor. And recovery membership is handy as a back-up. :lol:

Hope the insurer doesn't make an issue of it - and hopefully no NIP in the post. :thumbsup:

For pressures I'd go with what Mr wilks said - the sticker inside the door is for run-flats which you no longer have!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 pm Well, I suppose it was good that you got what you wanted, they are a huge improvement and that the alignment seems to have been done right!

But the guy sounds like a bit of an a**hole - although that's probably not fair as they are useful. :lol:

Anyway I'm sure you won't be a repeat customer. :roll:

As for repair kit I think you can buy one from BMW, but it won't be cheap! Most people seem to like Holts Tyreweld - it comes in 2 sizes and you need the bigger one for wheels 17" or larger (it was on special offer in Tesco last week) and then a 12v compressor. And recovery membership is handy as a back-up. :lol:

Hope the insurer doesn't make an issue of it - and hopefully no NIP in the post. :thumbsup:

For pressures I'd go with what Mr wilks said - the sticker inside the door is for run-flats which you no longer have!
You Mr. Tidy, I appreciate you. Defo wont be a repeat customer and fingers crossed nothing comes through the post :cry: . Il get insurance updated and il try the wilks pressures!! but thank you for your comment!!!

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 pm

It’s perfectly normal for a new tyre to let air out of the bead for a few days, keep checking them and it should stop if it hasn’t already :)
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Forgot to mention my regular tyre place is brilliant! Always the cheapest around, so I don't even bother ringing around any more. They even repaired a run-flat for my 1 Series for £10!

I bought an E91 earlier this year, but it had winter tyres on it so I bought a set of 17" F30 wheels from someone who had upgraed to 18s.

They needed 2 tyres and the fitter noticed he was removing 225/50s but I had asked for 225/45s. He queried that, but I told him 225/45s were the right size for an E91 and he just fitted them! So it looks like there are still some palces where the customer is right. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 pm

I carry one of these kits.

Slime 1800330 10914 Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY000/ ... 5BbM22A82Y

Comes with all you need at a good price and the stuff actually works as have used it through work.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:47 am

What happens to the tpms in the wheels?
Won’t the jollop screw them up?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Tyre pressure monitoring is done through the ABS sensor - it basically detects if the wheel on one side is spinning at a different speed to the other (which it does if the pressure drops as the diameter changes slightly).
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I thought the E89 has the Tpms sensors? My 2016 car has them, although I can’t remember if my previous 2010 E89 was Tpms or wheel sensor based.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: