Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash board trim removal

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
TONYL

Dash board trim removal

Post by TONYL » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:33 am

Hi
Has anyone removed the dash board and centre console for re trimming?
Mines finished in silver so though a carbon wrap would improve the look
Also the door handle bits
Thanks
Tony
318ci m sport coupe
3.0i z4 e89

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Dash board trim removal

Post by Nictrix » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:38 am

The centre console just needs the gear stick surround removed and then it can be levered out starting at the rear.
The dash is a bit more complicated and off the top of my head needs the radio removed and the glove box opened to get to all the screws that hold it in place.
The door cards need to come off as the trim with the handles is screwed on from the inside.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Dash board trim removal

Post by Number5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:00 pm

The easiest bit is the headlamp switch panel. That just pops of with a bit of persuasion.
The main dash panel is about a 30 minute job. You need to remove the centre and side vent first, remove the now visible screws and then the difficult bit is releasing the retaining clip behind, which you have to access via the side vent and about 50mm inwards.

The centre console is a bitch to be honest. You have to remove all of the rear centre storage console first from the wind deflector down as this overlaps it at the bottom. Remove the knee pads too, then the gear lever and handbrake gaters and surround and then you can just about wriggle it out without actually taking the gear stick itself out. (roughly a 3hr job if you know what you're doing!)

I've done a few when changing standard to Piano black.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

greg81

Dash board trim removal

Post by greg81 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Number5 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:00 pm The easiest bit is the headlamp switch panel. That just pops of with a bit of persuasion.
The main dash panel is about a 30 minute job. You need to remove the centre and side vent first, remove the now visible screws and then the difficult bit is releasing the retaining clip behind, which you have to access via the side vent and about 50mm inwards.

The centre console is a bitch to be honest. You have to remove all of the rear centre storage console first from the wind deflector down as this overlaps it at the bottom. Remove the knee pads too, then the gear lever and handbrake gaters and surround and then you can just about wriggle it out without actually taking the gear stick itself out. (roughly a 3hr job if you know what you're doing!)

I've done a few when changing standard to Piano black.
That sounds like the process for the E85/6 to me?

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Dash board trim removal

Post by Number5 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:39 pm

greg81 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 pm That sounds like the process for the E85/6 to me?
Correct.. sorry, I should read the category before jumping in !! :oops:
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)