Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is it a DIY Job?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
zedwheels

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by zedwheels » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi.
First I must say that I'm not the best at working on cars but I don't mind having a go at simple stuff.
I notice that the rear pads need changing soon and thought I could have a go at that! But, is it a difficult job and will I need any special tools to do the job? If there are any photo's of others who have done this would be great.
Appreciate all advice.

E89 2015 2 ltr.

Bri.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 pm

zedwheels wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm Hi.
First I must say that I'm not the best at working on cars but I don't mind having a go at simple stuff.
I notice that the rear pads need changing soon and thought I could have a go at that! But, is it a difficult job and will I need any special tools to do the job? If there are any photo's of others who have done this would be great.
Appreciate all advice.

E89 2015 2 ltr.

Bri.
Hi, you have the added complication of the ebrake which means winding the piston into the caliper body to gain clearance for the fatter, replacement pads but it’s not difficult if you’ve worked on brakes before.
Has your dash been displaying the worn brake warning? You need a replacement sensor if that’s the case so you can reset the light.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DOOM

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by DOOM » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:36 pm

In the E86, the replacement of the sensor was more difficult that replacing the rear pads.

Needed ninja-like moves..lol
'07 Z4C, Stratus Grey | square 108s | Quaife LSD | Lotus seats | Bilstein B4s | ZHP Knob| Cruise Control | Meyle Suspension arms | Pioneer head unit
Miata NBfl 1.8, Torsen T2, JVC Head Unit, Lotus Seat
Vauxhall Corsa C 1.4, bone stock :D

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by Number5 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Don't do it Brian.
I did the rear pads on my 2012 F11 a few years back. By the time I'd bought the pads and then paid Forza £40 to have the car in and reset the service light (after winding the pistons back without them being in service mode) I ended up saving myself about £50.

In hindsight Id have rather have spent 5 hours doing something else, had a stamp in the service book and kept the skin on my knuckles.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

AlienZed

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by AlienZed » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Dont do it Bri,
Take it in let someone else struggle.
And at your age young man if you get down u'll never get up again :rofl:
I speak from experience :D
Moz

zedwheels

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by zedwheels » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 pm

AlienZed wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 pm Dont do it Bri,
Take it in let someone else struggle.
And at your age young man if you get down u'll never get up again :rofl:
I speak from experience :D
Moz
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

zedwheels

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by zedwheels » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Ah yes the E Brake! didn't think about that, no warning lights on just observed that the pads are down to about 3 mm.

Ok guys thanks for the advice better have a garage geezer graze his knuckles. :thumbsup:

R.E92

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by R.E92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 am

Depends if you enjoy it or not. If you don't mind getting stuck in with some DIY then it's a satisfying job.

First time I changed pads it took me an hour on each corner. I was already clued up on how to release the ebrake but had to read up and watch a few DIY videos on how to get the caliper off and where to apply the lubricant.
Second time it took 30min each side and that's including doing some OCD cleaning.

If you're going to do it then make sure you get the right lubricant. I used Ceratec (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mintex-Ceratec ... B007IZ4VOG). Use the wrong stuff and you'll have noisy brakes.

Zed Baron

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:17 pm

my local dealer wanted £140 for the privilege of changing the rear pads, I think my mechanic charged me either £70/£80

PinkPineapple44

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 pm

I did this job a couple of months ago, just like any other pad change other than the rewinding which was easy. The piston won't moving during the rewinding process but once you've wound it all the way in (clockwise iirc) just push it in as usual.

zedwheels

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by zedwheels » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 pm

PinkPineapple44 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 pm I did this job a couple of months ago, just like any other pad change other than the rewinding which was easy. The piston won't moving during the rewinding process but once you've wound it all the way in (clockwise iirc) just push it in as usual.
Hi. can you explain the last bit please, am I understanding you right, you wind the piston in not out? if you do mean wind it inwards all the way what do you mean then by push it in? :?
I don't think I will be doing it myself but my son in law who does do some maintenance may do it for me and I will need to explain things. Thanks.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by ronk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 pm

I need a pair of new front disks on the 335 and like some others here - get down to the task and won't be able to get back up again!
Sad - especially as the dealer wants £640 for the replacemnts (M Sport big Disks)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

PinkPineapple44

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:25 pm

zedwheels wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:53 pm
PinkPineapple44 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:19 pm I did this job a couple of months ago, just like any other pad change other than the rewinding which was easy. The piston won't moving during the rewinding process but once you've wound it all the way in (clockwise iirc) just push it in as usual.
Hi. can you explain the last bit please, am I understanding you right, you wind the piston in not out? if you do mean wind it inwards all the way what do you mean then by push it in? :?
I don't think I will be doing it myself but my son in law who does do some maintenance may do it for me and I will need to explain things. Thanks.
You remove two bolts from the back of the caliper which holds the motorised part on, then wiggle it off (there's a rubber seal inside). Once you've done that they'll be a hole you can put your torx bit into and turn clockwise till it stops.

zedwheels

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by zedwheels » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 pm

You remove two bolts from the back of the caliper which holds the motorised part on, then wiggle it off (there's a rubber seal inside). Once you've done that they'll be a hole you can put your torx bit into and turn clockwise till it stops.
[/quote]

Thanks PinkPineapple44, appreciate that. Just one more question, are there brake sensors on each wheel or just one front and rear?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Is it a DIY Job?

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm

zedwheels wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 pm You remove two bolts from the back of the caliper which holds the motorised part on, then wiggle it off (there's a rubber seal inside). Once you've done that they'll be a hole you can put your torx bit into and turn clockwise till it stops.
Thanks PinkPineapple44, appreciate that. Just one more question, are there brake sensors on each wheel or just one front and rear?
[/quote]

One on the front & one on the rear :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold