Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

non m-sport seats, how good/bad are they?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm Hi Buster, these are the standard sport seats https://goo.gl/images/2oAXb6
As far as I know, not-sports-at all seats were never an option? :oops:
Rob
Thank you very much, Rob.
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 am

john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:13 am
Smartbear wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm Hi Buster, these are the standard sport seats https://goo.gl/images/2oAXb6
As far as I know, not-sports-at all seats were never an option? :oops:
Rob
Yep sports seats pictured, bolster and knee adjustable are M sport with the lumbar as an option which seems like hens teeth from what I’ve seen, no idea why as they were a cheap option, I didn’t have them on mine as I forgot nd it was too late into the build to add them.... :oops:

I’m with Busterboo on this, the M sport seats from new we’re really hard, so much so I started to hate them, couldn’t get them right despite hours of messing with the adjusters, but this 42k mile car the seats are a different animal, so much softer and comfortable, I really like them. :driving:
Are you sure it’s not you John? You might have gone soft :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:07 am

Thanks for all the replies. Just to be clear, the seats I'm looking at are the same as the ones in the link Rob posted (so are 'sports seats').
I was after a comparison with the 'm-sports' seats, which is what this thread has provided. I'm coming from m-sport seats in my E85, so I know just how nicely they support you.
I have only seen one pair of E89 m-sport seats in 5 years here, so upgrading to them probably won't be an option for me (but never say never...).
I think the consensus is that the sport E89 seats are 'ok' but the m-sports are definitely worth having if you can get them, just as I suspected.
Cheers.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 pm

enzed4 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:07 am Thanks for all the replies. Just to be clear, the seats I'm looking at are the same as the ones in the link Rob posted (so are 'sports seats').
I was after a comparison with the 'm-sports' seats, which is what this thread has provided. I'm coming from m-sport seats in my E85, so I know just how nicely they support you.
I have only seen one pair of E89 m-sport seats in 5 years here, so upgrading to them probably won't be an option for me (but never say never...).
I think the consensus is that the sport E89 seats are 'ok' but the m-sports are definitely worth having if you can get them, just as I suspected.
Cheers.
If it were me there’s no way I’d go for sport seats enzed, simply because seats are probably THE biggest item to get right in a car, after all you spend a long time in them, you wouldn’t have ‘ok ish’ seats in your house right? The seats in my Boxster are THE worst pair of benches, stupidly hard with next to no side support. If I keep it I’ll be putting aftermarket Recaro's in. Look at the pics below, you’re going from one to the other, the sport seats don’t look very supportive do they.

But hey as always that’s just what I think, you may quite rightly think otherwise, just make sure you’re happy before you buy is all I can say. Best of luck. :thumbsup: :driving:
Attachments
C2423004-5277-4104-8CF2-65AC6EDAEF54.jpeg
C2423004-5277-4104-8CF2-65AC6EDAEF54.jpeg (218.12 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
8FD8CEAF-1E66-4323-A561-11EA3E610490.jpeg
8FD8CEAF-1E66-4323-A561-11EA3E610490.jpeg (145.26 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

GBZ4

Post by GBZ4 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:43 am

My non-m sports Zed has the pauper specification that has the ‘rare’ inclusion of cloth seats and they are fine. No slip or slide, no heating and are comfortable enough. No complaints :thumbsup:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

DHO51E

Post by DHO51E » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:18 am

Hi. My 2016 E89 2.0 MSport has under knee, adjustable bolster (Amazing), lumber (Even better) and are heated. All 3 played a part with an aching back recently. Still able to drive! Don’t miss not having electrically adjustable function as it took AGES to find a position which felt just right and wouldn’t want to change those many settings.
David

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am

john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 pm
enzed4 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:07 am Thanks for all the replies. Just to be clear, the seats I'm looking at are the same as the ones in the link Rob posted (so are 'sports seats').
Cheers.
If it were me there’s no way I’d go for sport seats enzed, simply because seats are probably THE biggest item to get right in a car, after all you spend a long time in them, you wouldn’t have ‘ok ish’ seats in your house right? The seats in my Boxster are THE worst pair of benches, stupidly hard with next to no side support. If I keep it I’ll be putting aftermarket Recaro's in. Look at the pics below, you’re going from one to the other, the sport seats don’t look very supportive do they.

But hey as always that’s just what I think, you may quite rightly think otherwise, just make sure you’re happy before you buy is all I can say. Best of luck. :thumbsup: :driving:
Im sure you know but in case you didn't they are 2 different models of Z, 1 is an E85 and 1 is an E89. The Msport seats are a bit different than what is shown.
It near enough shows the difference between the 2 sets of seats though.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm

well, SmartBear, I never knew mine were M seats. I always thought they were great seats for 'standard' ones, now I know why!
59 plate sDrive23i 2.5

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am
john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 pm
Cheers.

Im sure you know but in case you didn't they are 2 different models of Z, 1 is an E85 and 1 is an E89. The Msport seats are a bit different than what is shown.
Yep, I posted those two as enzed currently has an E85 and is considering going to an E89.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Hellequin wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm well, SmartBear, I never knew mine were M seats. I always thought they were great seats for 'standard' ones, now I know why!
Yep, M-Sport seats are what you need in a Z4 IMHO. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 am

john-e89 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Nictrix wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:10 am
john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 pm If it were me there’s no way I’d go for sport seats enzed, simply because seats are probably THE biggest item to get right in a car, after all you spend a long time in them, you wouldn’t have ‘ok ish’ seats in your house right? The seats in my Boxster are THE worst pair of benches, stupidly hard with next to no side support. If I keep it I’ll be putting aftermarket Recaro's in. Look at the pics below, you’re going from one to the other, the sport seats don’t look very supportive do they.

Yep, I posted those two as enzed currently has an E85 and is considering going to an E89.
I knew what you were doing John :thumbsup: . And thanks for the eloquent appraisal of m-sport vs 'standard' sport seats.
The 35i I'm looking at has the sport seats, I'd love the m-sports, but will just have to live without them if I go ahead.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport