Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Carly app

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Carly app

Post by john-e89 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Don’t suppose anyone wants give a brief run down on what on earth folks are talking about on this thread do they?

I seriously haven’t the foggiest what Carly does, is, what the app does, what a dongle is, and....well all of it quite frankly.....I live in the Stone Age when it comes to this type of thing.... :oops:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Marcusdil

Carly app

Post by Marcusdil » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Beginning to agree with you John..maybe we should just stick to enjoying the driving experience and of course the regular smile at oneself when opening the garage door and seeing that wonderful shape. :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Carly app

Post by Smartbear » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:49 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm Don’t suppose anyone wants give a brief run down on what on earth folks are talking about on this thread do they?

I seriously haven’t the foggiest what Carly does, is, what the app does, what a dongle is, and....well all of it quite frankly.....I live in the Stone Age when it comes to this type of thing.... :oops:
I’m similar John but ventured forth & spent some valuable pension money on this device.
The “dongle” plugs into the car’s obd port which resides just inside the drivers door (hinge end) behind a plastic door, this communicates to the app which lives inside your phone or tablet.
It can read & clear fault codes as well as show lots of different parameters in the form of a virtual dashboard, these can include anything you can imagine for the engine as well as tons of things you’d never imagine existed.
It also does coding, you can tailor the car to your tastes with things like bleeping on unlocking, interior lights slowly illuminating or coming on instantly on unlocking. The speed the car will allow roof operation on the move is changeable as well as the level of fuel remaining in the tank before the low fuel warning is triggered.
Headlight washers are altered so they don’t squirt every time you wash the screen (you can turn them off completely if you want)
There’s absolutely tons of stuff along these lines that you can play with along with new battery registration, low brake warning reset etc etc.
You get the idea, if I can make it work I’m sure you could do it standing on your head mate :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nick9one1

Carly app

Post by Nick9one1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:22 pm

R.E92 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:48 pm There's "Carista", "Bimmercode" and "Bimmergeeks Pro Tool". They are all better than Carly. Bimmercode even works with generic OBDII ELM327 adapters.

The best and cheapest solution is to learn how to use BMW Standard Tools. You need a laptop, a DCAN cable and a bit of free time.
What he said ^

Also, the cable option has been 'hidden' when you select e89 in Carly. Just another way they are pushing you to but the official BT adapter.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Carly app

Post by john-e89 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:49 pm
john-e89 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:28 pm Don’t suppose anyone wants give a brief run down on what on earth folks are talking about on this thread do they?

I’m similar John but ventured forth & spent some valuable pension money on this device.
The “dongle” plugs into the car’s obd port which resides just inside the drivers door (hinge end) behind a plastic door, this communicates to the app which lives inside your phone or tablet.
It can read & clear fault codes as well as show lots of different parameters in the form of a virtual dashboard, these can include anything you can imagine for the engine as well as tons of things you’d never imagine existed.
It also does coding, you can tailor the car to your tastes with things like bleeping on unlocking, interior lights slowly illuminating or coming on instantly on unlocking. The speed the car will allow roof operation on the move is changeable as well as the level of fuel remaining in the tank before the low fuel warning is triggered.
Headlight washers are altered so they don’t squirt every time you wash the screen (you can turn them off completely if you want)
There’s absolutely tons of stuff along these lines that you can play with along with new battery registration, low brake warning reset etc etc.
You get the idea, if I can make it work I’m sure you could do it standing on your head mate :P
Rob
Cheers muchly Robmero :thumbsup: . I kinda had a clue but that’s about it... :roll: I guess some of it might be useful....though not nearly enough to make me bother with it..... :lol: :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29