Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

bluetooth audio

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Tysonwills

bluetooth audio

Post by Tysonwills » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:55 am

I know this is complete minefield and have had various solutions but still havent got the problem solved.
What i want is to be able to play bluetooth audio and control it from the steering wheel controls.
I have and old Ipod that contains all my tracks but has no bluetooth abiblity.
MY ARM REST ONLY HAS THE AUX SOCKET AND NO USD CONNECTION.

Can someone please tell me what setup i need and what devides to make this possibly , surely it cant be that difficult.

Hunter

bluetooth audio

Post by Hunter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 am

Replace the head unit with a Pioneer Avic unit, that way you will have btooth, nav, dab etc etc...i did this in my 2010 3.0 s drive.
E89 S Drive 35iS

AnubisZed

bluetooth audio

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Tysonwills wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:55 am I know this is complete minefield and have had various solutions but still havent got the problem solved.
What i want is to be able to play bluetooth audio and control it from the steering wheel controls.
I have and old Ipod that contains all my tracks but has no bluetooth abiblity.
MY ARM REST ONLY HAS THE AUX SOCKET AND NO USD CONNECTION.

Can someone please tell me what setup i need and what devides to make this possibly , surely it cant be that difficult.
As yours stands it cannot be done with what you currently have.

Two solutions....
1) As above fit an after-market head unit that has this ability built in.
or
2) For the OEM look retro-fit all OEM kit following this guide.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/b18u0025vmc51 ... .docx?dl=0
Then buy a Tune2Air WMA3000B that plugs into the (now newly fitted) USB/AUX socket in the centre console and control it via the steering wheel.

They are your only solutions, and using OEM only the Tune2Air works as it should any other that claim to don't, I know as I've tried them.
There is no bluetooth device that you can plug directly in that you can control via the steering wheel controls.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Andyturbo2000

bluetooth audio

Post by Andyturbo2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:32 pm

I use an MPOW through the AUX send. Works well but have to remember to change radio to aux. Cheap as chips

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

bluetooth audio

Post by RustyZ4 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:26 pm

I appreciate you don't have a USB in the armrest, but, do you have one in the glovebox? mine might be later, but I have one there
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Zed Baron

bluetooth audio

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:36 pm

I was amazed to find out that my E89 had no bluetooth even though it has iDrive, so looking at numerous options I had a basic Parrot system put in with a steering wheel adaptor (you can use the buttons on the steering wheel). It has bluetooth audio streaming and also has a line in (you can have it in the glove box). Supplied and fitted for just under £200 and the microphone sits on the steering wheel cowl. The only negative, it cancels out the audio for the PDC and sat nav if your streaming.

Tysonwills

bluetooth audio

Post by Tysonwills » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 am

thyanks for all the replys guys.
decided the easiest option is to replace the radio with a aftermarket one.
can anyone give me a basic walk through about how to do this and what facia i need to use.