Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sport mode, not

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 pm

This stupid car.
Nearly got caught out by being in normal mode instead of sport.
Always set sport mode as soon as i start up. Stopped by a shop and forgot to set sport.
At my usual journeys dodgy turn, car goes flat as a fart trying to accelerate before a car appears over the blind hump.
It's just stupid having these different modes in 23i, it needs all it can deliver to get going.
Why can't it just remember the last mode selected.
Keep meaning to make a pulse circuit and relay just to set it automatically from start up, use power from cig lighter socket.

Just bought a Berlingo to make in to a mini camper.
Straight away a much nicer drive, doesn't follow every bump in the road, slick gearbox.
Thought the zed was going to be a refined car.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 pm This stupid car.
Nearly got caught out by being in normal mode instead of sport.
Always set sport mode as soon as i start up. Stopped by a shop and forgot to set sport.
At my usual journeys dodgy turn, car goes flat as a fart trying to accelerate before a car appears over the blind hump.
It's just stupid having these different modes in 23i, it needs all it can deliver to get going.
Why can't it just remember the last mode selected.
Keep meaning to make a pulse circuit and relay just to set it automatically from start up, use power from cig lighter socket.

Just bought a Berlingo to make in to a mini camper.
Straight away a much nicer drive, doesn't follow every bump in the road, slick gearbox.
Thought the zed was going to be a refined car.
Is that the same as a pick & stick path which holds up via one of its own up contacts? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Sport mode, not

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 pm

If there is any thing in there similar to an E85, then they learn your driving patterns any way. One reason I have never botherd to press mine in 7 years of owner ship. I prefer the car to drive the way it does every time. The throttle is plenty sharp enough since it knows I like to push it all the way down. :wink:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Sport mode, not

Post by mr wilks » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Clutching at straws if you rely on the difference between sport mode to normal in order to greatly enhance the driving characteristics of a 23i E89 :cry: it altered the steering feel on my 23i , can't recall it ever adding a turbo to it :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 am

Throttle response improves in sport mode. Even if you floor the accelerator it take fraction of a second more to pick up in normal mode. Just annoying. I can understand the need on a 35i in say snow. On 23i feels like you towing a caravan.
I have not noticed this car learn driver style like the MGTF i owned.
That would go into sportier mode with a few brisk accelerations or could be reset by pumping the throttle several times after start to reset the memory. Almost like an instant tune up. Nice system.

Pbondar

Sport mode, not

Post by Pbondar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 am

That’s the problem when you build a platform that has several engines and changes over time..

There will be combinations that either need these facilities, can benefit from different modes and there are those where it’s a waste

One big issue is that comfort mode gets the best co2 mpg hence for no other reason it will be present..

On the N20 with a remap the need for sport mode is reduced most of the time, enough pick up in comfort mode..

Another benefit of modern auto boxes is the knock it across to go into sport mode...

I drive 3 cars with the same logic and I habitually just knock the auto shift across to get sport mode as a precursor to overtaking on almost all non dual carriageways :thumbsup:

Phoenixboy

Sport mode, not

Post by Phoenixboy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 am

certainly makes a difference on my 30i :)
pulls well anyway, but takes off like a scolded cat in sport.
yet to try sport plus :P
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

djstan

Sport mode, not

Post by djstan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 am

Does it actually make a real world difference in terms of timings for getting out of trouble? I can't see that a few milliseconds quicker response to kickdown is actually going to do anything in real-world conditions other than have a different bum-on-the-seat feel?
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

Pbondar

Sport mode, not

Post by Pbondar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

djstan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 am Does it actually make a real world difference in terms of timings for getting out of trouble? I can't see that a few milliseconds quicker response to kickdown is actually going to do anything in real-world conditions other than have a different bum-on-the-seat feel?
Oh yes it does,

The starting revs for each gear is up by 1000-2000 rpm and the upshift takes place at max revs rather than short shifting...

Especally with the N20 turbos it makes a big big difference ..

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by markplant » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Isn't there something in Carly that can make the remember it's last setting or was that a different function
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm

markplant wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 pm Isn't there something in Carly that can make the remember it's last setting or was that a different function
Carly can code the car to remember the last state of the stop/start function, I don’t think it can do the same with sport mode. :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by markplant » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm
markplant wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:33 pm Isn't there something in Carly that can make the remember it's last setting or was that a different function
Carly can code the car to remember the last state of the stop/start function, I don’t think it can do the same with sport mode. :thumbsup:
Rob
It might be the stop start I was remembering an getting mixed up , good call bear
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 pm

I can understand it going back to normal for the 35i, but for the 23i it's a gimmick.
If you drive all the time in sport as i do, the old leg muscle memory is for the sportier response, only to get caught out in normal mode. So requires a push, realise your not in sport, then full throttle.
It's just annoying and unnecessary.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Sport mode, not

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:19 pm

My daily turn. I need to turn right. Car emerge the other way doing 50-60 plus. Worst are low cars.
Attachments
U.jpg
U.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 1344 times

R.E92

Sport mode, not

Post by R.E92 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:46 am

A remap would be able to change the throttle map to be the same in normal and sport mode. I have done it on my 35i as it makes no sense to have the throttle pedal change between modes.

It won't make the auto box behave differently though, so unless your car is a manual the problem of a dimwitted gearbox will still be there.