Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone app after combox upgrade

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
bludvik

Post by bludvik » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Can anyone clear up a question I have about the combox upgrade? I have a 2014 Z4. I am told that in order to use the iPhone app to remotely lock/unlock doors, start the car, adjust temp., etc I need a combox upgrade from the 2g box I have to a 4g box. My question is if this will work and if I can use the app only after the upgrade or do I need to pay for the monthly subscription to Assist Drive/ConnectDrive or whatever it is called?

Thanks for you help,
Barry

Himi

Post by Himi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:40 am

Before you go to the effort... have you you looked at BMW services included in the UK? I dont think remote start is one of them.

The app works off using your VIN number so im assuming for the upgrade to be any good you'll have to tell BMW to code it/update their system to allow you to use the upgrade and to be honest... BMW aren't that great at things like this so wouldn't know if the app would upgrade for you.

bludvik

Post by bludvik » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if it is worth it, but would like to know what it takes to use the app. I'll keep digging.