Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re mapping

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Re mapping

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 pm It's fairly obvious that if you have two identical machines, one producing say 200 BHP and the other producing 300 bhp the more powerful machine has higher stresses to deal with and as a result it would be reasonable to expect a greater failure rate from that machine.

Going back to me earlier comment, why do you think a lambo aventador 700-4 is delivered with 700BHP but it can easily be tuned to well over 800BHP (remembering that Lambo is all about massive supercar performance).
The reason is that lambo know more failures (warranty claims/reputation) will occur as a result. Also why mapping a new motor invalidates any manufacturer's warranty.

So in answer to your question I would say, all things considered yes!!!!!

HOWEVER (there it is) all said and done, it depends how you drive it, we all know that is what counts in the real world.
I think it depends on wether the engine has been designed/engineered to be reliable for the power it’s capable of producing, as mentioned earlier the 2.0 range were designed by bmw to be reliable at the 28i level of performance.
The engines in the 18i and 20i are the same, so shouldn’t suffer at around 28i levels of performance.
That’s a bit different to tuning other engines beyond their design parameters :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Re mapping

Post by mcbutler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Your last line nails it Rob..... Exactly the point...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Broads

Re mapping

Post by Broads » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Engines being the same, is there any other difference between 1.8 2.0 2.8 other than just the remap? ie turbo's pulleys, running gear?
If not why produce 3 different versions of the same car, with a different software mod.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

Pbondar

Re mapping

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Broads wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 pm Engines being the same, is there any other difference between 1.8 2.0 2.8 other than just the remap? ie turbo's pulleys, running gear?
If not why produce 3 different versions of the same car, with a different software mod.
From a marketing man’s viewpoint it’s great...no tedious h/w changes and charge an extra £2k ish and £8k ish by toggling the s/w ..purrfeck!

Broads

Re mapping

Post by Broads » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Really just marketing.. Surely there is more to it than that? If not as soon as I get my 2.0 and the warranty has ran out. I know where I'd be going..

Pbondar

Re mapping

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Broads wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm Really just marketing.. Surely there is more to it than that? If not as soon as I get my 2.0 and the warranty has ran out. I know where I'd be going..
Well to be pedantic the 18i has a lower spec as standard ref AC and wheels, maybe some other extras, the 28i has 30mm larger front discs...that’s it...

Broads

Re mapping

Post by Broads » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Remap sold... Where do I get my new 2.8 badge from :P

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Re mapping

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:00 pm

Broads wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm Remap sold... Where do I get my new 2.8 badge from :P
Hi, how are you getting on with your car search lately? Don’t forget to post pics! :driving:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Re mapping

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Broads wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 pm Remap sold... Where do I get my new 2.8 badge from :P
I would suggest a badge delete and taking those stupid S Drive badges off too, would be good IMHO! :

After all it wouldn’t be 28i it would be 28i+ :fuelfire:

Broads

Re mapping

Post by Broads » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:02 pm Hi, how are you getting on with your car search lately? Don’t forget to post pics!
Rob
Check my insta a couple of posts back... I am taking a second look at the deep sea blue 2.0 on Friday. With the info about the remap should be more than enough to convince me not to get that 3.5 that had been modded. :)

Going to have to have a side by side of the Z3, and the Z4 before I px.. It will be a happy sad day..

Pyranha

Re mapping

Post by Pyranha » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Pdondar I also thought the same as you that it was a pure marketing exercise. However I spoke to an engineer in Munich HQ before I got mine re-mapped - There is a difference between the engines.

The pistons on the 18i, 20i and 28i are physically identical to look at however they use a different material mix for each car on the production line to save costs. The higher the engine output the more copper is mixed with the aluminium of the piston head when it is cast to increase its thermal breakdown point. The copper costs more than the aluminium hence BMW takes what ever cost saving they can on the production line from their suppliers. Any one that has worked in a high volume production environment will be aware of these techniques - every penny counts.

So theoretically if you drive a remapped 18i or 20i flat out for a long period of time you could get to the thermal break down point of the piston head and damage it. However this situation is highly unlikely to ever occur, but they need to design for it - I am sure someone will drive across the outback flat out for a few hours in their z4.

In order to simplify the number of spare parts that have to be supplied and managed only one piston, that with the highest copper mix from the 28i is made available in the spare parts catalog. That is why when you look at real OEM or check the spare part numbers from the dealer there is only ever one listed and let face it they do not care about saving you a few $$$ on what you need to pay for spares.

This reminds me - I need to post about my remap experience! If you are in two minds about a remap....do it!! - Unless you plan to drive at 155mph for 2 hours across a dessert :D

Broads

Re mapping

Post by Broads » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm

@Pyranha I look forward to reading about it. The info above was an interesting read.

Pbondar

Re mapping

Post by Pbondar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Pyranha wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm Pdondar I also thought the same as you that it was a pure marketing exercise. However I spoke to an engineer in Munich HQ before I got mine re-mapped - There is a difference between the engines.

The pistons on the 18i, 20i and 28i are physically identical to look at however they use a different material mix for each car on the production line to save costs. The higher the engine output the more copper is mixed with the aluminium of the piston head when it is cast to increase its thermal breakdown point. The copper costs more than the aluminium hence BMW takes what ever cost saving they can on the production line from their suppliers. Any one that has worked in a high volume production environment will be aware of these techniques - every penny counts.

So theoretically if you drive a remapped 18i or 20i flat out for a long period of time you could get to the thermal break down point of the piston head and damage it. However this situation is highly unlikely to ever occur, but they need to design for it - I am sure someone will drive across the outback flat out for a few hours in their z4.

In order to simplify the number of spare parts that have to be supplied and managed only one piston, that with the highest copper mix from the 28i is made available in the spare parts catalog. That is why when you look at real OEM or check the spare part numbers from the dealer there is only ever one listed and let face it they do not care about saving you a few $$$ on what you need to pay for spares.

This reminds me - I need to post about my remap experience! If you are in two minds about a remap....do it!! - Unless you plan to drive at 155mph for 2 hours across a dessert :D
Hi, that all sounds plausible but...

Given that the engine block serial number only denotes serial production, how do you know which engine had the magic pistons..

Ie each engine is stamp N20B20 there is no stamping for 18i 20i 28i ..

It would imply that each engine would have a secret table of parts in the BMW bunker that no one else knew about...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Re mapping

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm
Pyranha wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm Pdondar I also thought the same as you that it was a pure marketing exercise. However I spoke to an engineer in Munich HQ before I got mine re-mapped - There is a difference between the engines.

Hi, that all sounds plausible but...

Given that the engine block serial number only denotes serial production, how do you know which engine had the magic pistons..

Ie each engine is stamp N20B20 there is no stamping for 18i 20i 28i ..

It would imply that each engine would have a secret table of parts in the BMW bunker that no one else knew about...
+1, I’d want to see proof of this (speaking to a mysterious unnamed engineer doesn’t count)
I’m also yet to see evidence of molten 18i & 20i engines :?
Far from saving bmw money by fitting pistons with less copper content, it would cost bmw more by complicating the assembly process.
I also heard someone say Elvis was still alive & living on the moon, but until I’ve seen proper evidence I’m calling it bullsh*t :roll:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Pyranha

Re mapping

Post by Pyranha » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 pm

Rob and Pbondar - I knew this information would be met with scepticism, but I thought it would be useful to share, even if I can not prove it to you.

I had assumed that the engine production line just built identical 2.0ltr engines and shipped them to the various car production sites. The final power output could then be determined at the end of the line when they were programmed depending on model demand. This would be the most efficient production method, so I was surprised to hear they differentiated the pistons and no other parts.

Pbondar - I hope to make it along to a Scottish meet up next year - I will explain what I do for a living, will help to clarify my source.