Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery chargers

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery chargers

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Had some fun today using my trusty Bradex plastic cased battery charger, 1980's vintage, still see them on ebay.
Charging a battery in the back office, it caught fire.
Co2 extinguisher quickly put the fire out to reveal a molten black blob.
Fortunately or unfortunately it was resting on top of the battery.
Think if had been metal cased, it would have shorted and blown the fuse.
And i wouldn't have place it on top the battery.

Sometimes been tempted to leave it on overnight, but you know one day this might happen, so don't.
What if it had been attached to a car in a garage?
Perhaps lesson learnt and perhaps charge them outside in a dog kennel structure or similar.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Battery chargers

Post by Smartbear » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:01 pm Had some fun today using my trusty Bradex plastic cased battery charger, 1980's vintage, still see them on ebay.

Sometimes been tempted to leave it on overnight, but you know one day this might happen, so don't.
Perhaps lesson learnt and perhaps charge them outside in a dog kennel structure or similar.
Good excuse to get a modern, intelligent charger you can hook up & leave attached to do it’s own thing without worrying about nuclear meltdown :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Battery chargers

Post by ph001 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Same thing with cheapo lipo batteries from China. Mrs brought an iphone external battery pack home from work that she got as corporate tat. Left it charging on the settee one night and came back to a molten plastic lump in the morning. So lucky. Never trust any type of rechargeable in the house after that one!
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

IRD

Battery chargers

Post by IRD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:01 pm Had some fun today using my trusty Bradex plastic cased battery charger, 1980's vintage, still see them on ebay.

Had the same experience a few years ago. Left the battery attached to the charger in an empty garage whilst at work. When I came home I discovered that the battery had exploded and there were bits all over the garage. I dread to think what would have happened if anyone had been in the garage when it happened. Fortunately it didn’t catch fire because it was an integral garage. So the house could have burnt down. Now use a CTEK. :thumbsup:

Kingfisher

Battery chargers

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:37 pm

C-Tek is the way to go … now and then I don't drive the Z4 for maybe a month so stick the C-Tek on it for a couple of days. Charges it up if needed and conditions it although I'm not sure what 'conditions it' amounts to. If all else fails read the handbook eh? … :thumbsup:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

JamieZ4C

Battery chargers

Post by JamieZ4C » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Out of interest, which model of CTEK would you guys recommend?

To give a little context, my zed never goes more than 2 weeks without being driven. But when left for that long start up can be quite sluggish. It's always kept in the garage so connecting to a charger is no hassle.

For example would this one be enough for my needs? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs ... ry-charger

Busterboo

Battery chargers

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 pm

JamieZ4C wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm Out of interest, which model of CTEK would you guys recommend?

To give a little context, my zed never goes more than 2 weeks without being driven ...

For example would this one be enough for my needs? https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs ... ry-charger
The standard/normal CTEK does the job just fine. (Well, it did on my 911. The 35iS gets driven too often to need one.)

There may now be posts about not leaving the CTEK in the boot, permanently connected to the battery via 'Comfort Connect Eyelets'.
Vidi, vici, veni

Hunter

Battery chargers

Post by Hunter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 pm

+1 for CTEK, had one for my TVR, was invaluable
E89 S Drive 35iS

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Battery chargers

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 pm

MXS5.0
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

IRD

Battery chargers

Post by IRD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm

JamieZ4C wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm Out of interest, which model of CTEK would you guys recommend?

To give a little context, my zed never goes more than 2 weeks without being driven. But when left for that long start up can be quite sluggish. It's always kept in the garage so connecting to a charger is no hassle.

I have a MXS 5 which gives you more flexibility and charges more quickly when needed. I have had a few years now and it has done the job well without any problems. You can use it outside too. :)

JamieZ4C

Battery chargers

Post by JamieZ4C » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm

IRD wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm
I have a MXS 5 which gives you more flexibility and charges more quickly when needed. I have had a few years now and it has done the job well without any problems. You can use it outside too. :)
Thanks to all for feedback. I guess I'll do my research and work out which one will best suit my needs. The MXS5 seems to be £70-80 which is a little more than I was looking to spend. But with the cold weather approaching I don't want to have to worry about a dead battery...

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Battery chargers

Post by kis » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:28 pm

What about solar? Any recommendations? :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

IRD

Battery chargers

Post by IRD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm

JamieZ4C wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:10 pm
IRD wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm
Thanks to all for feedback. I guess I'll do my research and work out which one will best suit my needs. The MXS5 seems to be £70-80 which is a little more than I was looking to spend. But with the cold weather approaching I don't want to have to worry about a dead battery...
You’re right. They aren’t cheap but they do a good job. I have seen intelligent chargers advertised at very reasonable prices at Aldi and Lidls but not sure how good they are. Might be worth asking on the Forum if anyone has tried them. Good luck with your search. :D

Pbondar

Battery chargers

Post by Pbondar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm

For info any charger that is 'micro processor controlled' will suffice, as long as they have the buzzwords of 'trickle' 'float' as well tehy should be fine, I use a Lidl £14 version and it does as well as my expensive £250 super duper lab charger!

IRD

Battery chargers

Post by IRD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:21 pm

There you go Pbondar has given you the answer. At that price it’s worth a punt. :thumbsup: