Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated Steering Wheel

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hunter

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Hunter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am

With the weather being how it is, I tried the heated steering wheel yesterday and can't believe how much I love it. Roof down, heaters on full, seats and steering wheel heating both on full..what a blast....Ok...the E89 doesn't have this option, but my other halfs 4 series does...could it be retrofitted?
Last edited by Hunter on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 S Drive 35iS

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am

:cry: missing my E89 when I think about roof down driving on cold days (I did that more than anything) although I didn’t have the heated wheel but was always such a great feeling being out.

Enjoy you luck people
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Smartbear » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Hunter wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am With the weather being how it is, I tried the heated steering wheel yesterday and can't believe how much I love it. Roof down, heaters on full, seats and steering wheel heating both on full..what a blast....Ok...the E89 doesn't have this option, but my other halfs 4 series does...could it be retrofitted?
The e89 did have that as an option, it should be possible to retrofit if you are able to code it to work.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Nick9one1

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Nick9one1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:21 pm

my e89 has the heated wheel and its fantastic!

It must be a very simple wiring circuit, and probably doesn't need coding.
Z4 35i Space Gray, Red Leather
Stepped Intercooler
De-Cat Downpipes
HKS SSQV
MHD 98RON Stage 2+
395 BHP :driving:

IRD

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by IRD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:15 pm

If anyone has info. on retro-fitting I would be interested. I had it on my previous E89 and loved it. :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by john-e89 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Angie4m wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am :cry: missing my E89 when I think about roof down driving on cold days (I did that more than anything) although I didn’t have the heated wheel but was always such a great feeling being out.

Enjoy you luck people
Let’s all feel sorry for Angie in her brand spanking new M4 shall we.... :poke: :wink:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 pm
Angie4m wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am :cry: missing my E89 when I think about roof down driving on cold days (I did that more than anything) although I didn’t have the heated wheel but was always such a great feeling being out.

Enjoy you luck people
Let’s all feel sorry for Angie in her brand spanking new M4 shall we.... :poke: :wink:
I dont think she will miss it that much with only covering 6000 miles in it.
I have always wondered at what point its cheaper not to have a car and just use taxis everywhere?
I couldnt not have a car as I like driving and hate buses and taxis.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Enjoy you luck people
Although I have a heated steering wheel.
Nictrix wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Enjoy you luck people
I have always wondered at what point its cheaper not to have a car and just use taxis everywhere?
It wasn’t my plan to get rid of the car to be honest, I bought it as a keeper but there was other factors like a leaking sump that BMW were dragging their heels over. I also enjoy driving (lots) but have 4 cars at my disposal and as I live smack bang in the centre of a major city A) i’m not going drive to work which is like 5 mins walk away with no parking and the fact all the shops etc are on my doorstep and B) for the journeys I do have to make aren’t the longest and the roads are abysmal as a sky sports presenter pointed out recently so I choose not to put the cars I valued the most through the rigmarole of dodging one pot hole for another. When I did drive my car it was always for long drives out towards the coast and further and on roads which were much better than the ones in town which I still had to navigate to get out.

But I don’t have to justify myself to anyone for how I spend my money and sell my cars especially not on a forum. But whilst I’m on the subject I got 2k less trade than I bought it for in January 2014.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Nictrix » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Angie4m wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Enjoy you luck people
john-e89 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 pm Let’s all feel sorry for Angie in her brand spanking new M4 shall we.... :poke: :wink:
It wasn’t my plan to get rid of the car to be honest, I bought it as a keeper but there was other factors like a leaking sump that BMW were dragging their heels over. I also enjoy driving (lots) but have 4 cars at my disposal and as I live smack bang in the centre of a major city A) i’m not going drive to work which is like 5 mins walk away with no parking and the fact all the shops etc are on my doorstep and B) for the journeys I do have to make aren’t the longest and the roads are abysmal as a sky sports presenter pointed out recently so I choose not to put the cars I valued the most through the rigmarole of dodging one pot hole for another. When I did drive my car it was always for long drives out towards the coast and further and on roads which were much better than the ones in town which I still had to navigate to get out.

But I don’t have to justify myself to anyone for how I spend my money and sell my cars especially not on a forum. But whilst I’m on the subject I got 2k less trade than I bought it for in January 2014.
Sorry you seem to have taken what I wrote the wrong way, I know you have other cars that you use and you obviously kept the Z4 for good days. I personally dont think I would have been that attached to a car after covering so few miles.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by john-e89 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Enjoy you luck people
john-e89 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 pm Let’s all feel sorry for Angie in her brand spanking new M4 shall we.... :poke: :wink:

And avoided the drag of having to sell privately too....not worth the grief for that trade. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Nictrix wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm I dont think she will miss it that much with only covering 6000 miles in it.

Sorry you seem to have taken what I wrote the wrong way, I know you have other cars that you use and you obviously kept the Z4 for good days. I personally dont think I would have been that attached to a car after covering so few miles.
Apologies for that but I really did love the car and you don’t have to drive a car many miles to love and cherish them. I still avidly washed it, constantly wrapped it in cotton wool and would flip out at people leaning on, touching it and sneaking up the side of it for a cheeky smoke. My love for the car didn’t really die and I worried all the way that I was doing the right thing all the way to the dealership when trading it in.

However I had been keeping the car in tip top condition, I had a fully comprehensive BMW warranty so when a couple of leaks were found I gave the go ahead for investigation to go ahead because I had said warranty.......I then turned up and had to argue for half an hour over the fact it should have been covered as my policy documents didn’t list the exclusions they advised. My love started to ebb away and as much as it didn’t die entirely and I still loved it and was going to pay out to sort it, I started to wonder why I had been paying all that money for all that time and what else was going to go wrong sooner rather than later.

99% of the time I drove with the roof down so it will very much be missed and I would have loved to have kept it but when a car with so little miles starts to have issues with parts that are known to have problems (when you search) I decided that maybe I needed to change now whilst I could still get good money and get something more practical and a bit of a bucket list car. I bought them car for my 30th birthday that June and thought I’d always have it but at 34 I realise that it was never going to be a car to still have and keep going at 64. If I was significantly older I probably wouldn’t have changed but life is far too short.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Angie4m » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm
Nictrix wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm I dont think she will miss it that much with only covering 6000 miles in it.

And avoided the drag of having to sell privately too....not worth the grief for that trade. :thumbsup:
Exactly, in my mind that amount for the car was too good to pass up . It’s gone to a dealership who will have it perfect for whoever buys it next. Although I’ve found myself still wondering if I did the right thing not only because I loved the car and it was stunning but I bought it just after my Grandad passed away and I knew he would have been so proud of me getting such a beautiful car and I wished he could have seen it but I know I can get myself back into one at some point in the future if I really want.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

mcbutler

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by mcbutler » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Hunter

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by Hunter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:39 pm

That cant be all you need? and the weight says over 16kg?
E89 S Drive 35iS

eff1guy

Heated Steering Wheel

Post by eff1guy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 pm

I would imagine you'll need the relevant steering wheel with the heating element inside too as listed
Next Z landed ..... Z3 3.0i Sport Roadster

Z4 35iS ..... Gone to a new home