Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

PB Black Hole Advice

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
RJ595

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by RJ595 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Afternoon All,

I am after some advice with regards to Poor Boys Black Hole. I recently purchased some to try and improve the swirls on my Deep Sea Blue E89 but am not 100% sure on the best method to achieve the dazzling results in the reviews. Instructions on the bottle say, work until shiny, allow to haze and then buff off, but I struggled to achieve "shiny" and it didn't appear to haze as much as expected either.

Does anyone have some process pictures, showing the different stages? Maybe an idea of how much should be used per panel and "hazing" time required.

Cheers,

Beerman

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by Beerman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:50 pm

It won't cover swirls that much, but it is a good product. Don't expect miracles.

Has it been moist when you've been using it?

It's usually very easy to use.

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by jamie_z4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:57 pm

As above one of my staple products and really easy to use. It's even easier applied by DA polisher
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Umfaan

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by Umfaan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Preparation is key to any polish.......clay ..... wash ....polish......wax

RJ595

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by RJ595 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:11 pm

I tried using it a couple of days ago (made the most of some dry weather before winter sets in). Gave the whole car a thorough 2 bucket wash, clayed the bonnet, rinsed off and dried, tried some black hole on part of the bonnet and then gave the whole car a wax. Difficult to tell the results as it was 7pm by the time I finished and raining ever since!

I haven't necessarily had any issues with it, just didn't seem to achieve the stages that the bottle suggest. Maybe it needed a little more working to shine up and then haze properly?

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by tomscott » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Essentially if you clean the car and then just add wax you are sealing contaminants. There will still be remnants of old product, sealant, tar etc so you want to get it back to the clear coat with no contaminants by claying. If you have clear coat issues like swirls and scratches you should use something like ultimate compound with a DA to smoothen out the clear coat, then polish to get a deep shine and then seal with wax which adds the mirror deep contrast but also seals the paint. Worth using a man made synthetic wax for long lasting protection this usual lasts 6-12 months then go over again with a natural wax which you can top up every 1-3 months or every wash.

PB black hole acts like a plaster to mask issues until you can resolve them as above.

montymog

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by montymog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

hi have used poorboy products for some years now use black hole on both the e85 and a 25yrold 318is coupe both cars are metalic blue i find the deepest shine is not to let it haze and use a d a polisher on lowest settings try on one panel and see how it looks :D
e85 3.0si monaco metallic extended oregon cream leather.m seats all electric with heating and extensions.m multifunction s/wheel reverse sensors.light maple wood trim m suspension ect.ect. running on eagle f1 assy 3s

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by mr wilks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Time moves on & there are better products on the market now . I'm by no means a weekend semi pro detailer :oops: but i do like to see good results & appreciate a decent finish
Have you given the paint a good base by using clay bar or mitt first or given it a decent clean with something like AutoGlym SRP or Autosmart Topaz ? Or in very hazy areas Meglars ultimate compound ?
That's how i would start , then id apply the PB bhg thinly ( or i prefer 50 cal filler glaze https://www.amazon.co.uk/50-Cal-Cover-U ... ller+glaze)

Then when happy seal it with Auto Finesse Radiance carnuba https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Finesse ... :rk:2:pf:0

or Fusso 99 dark https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft99-Fusso ... :rk:2:pf:0

The deep sea blue paint on E89 will give you great rewards if you throw in some effort & decent products , its not unlike Montego or Midnight blue on previous model Zs , both of which ive owned & had great results cleaning / polishing :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

RJ595

PB Black Hole Advice

Post by RJ595 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks for all the advice. As I said in a previous post, I did give it a good wash and clay before trying the black hole.

Just been out to the shops and got to see it in daylight for the first time since applying the black hole. I must admit, it looks like a much deeper colour in the areas it has been applied and looked stunning as I walked back to her. Just wish I could see the results glinting in the sun rather than all this rain!