Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wheel centre caps 18"

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hellequin

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by Hellequin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Anyone know a good place to get good wheel caps?
59 plate sDrive23i 2.5

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by RustyZ4 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:13 pm

If you are talking the centre caps, a lot buy them of ebay or amazon (£10-£12 a set), cheap as chips, and last just as long as the OEM ones, they don't have the raised logo, but that's about it, looking at them you would never tell the difference
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Definitely Amazon - I've just bought 2 sets!

1st set was £6, 2nd was £7 - at that price just treat them as consumables! :lol:

But you want to get the ones with 10 fixing lugs - from what I have read the ones with just 5 lugs tend to fall off. :(

I'll give them a coat of clear lacquer before I fit them.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 pm

I Actually got some off ebay the other day for £4 delivered :O From UK aswell with 10 fixing lugs, mental.
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

R.E92

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by R.E92 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am

Get the proper ones from BMW if you are going to keep the car for a while. I bought a set of wheel caps last month for £35.

eBay badges are good if the car is a shed or are only planning on keeping it for a few months. On my 3 series, which is just a work mule, I've been through 2 sets of eBay wheel caps and 2 bonnet badges. All of them last around 6 months to a year before going rusty or fading. The recent hot spell turned the bonnet badge brown so I've just stumped up for buying the real thing again. The eBay badges can also fit poorly, I had to return one set because the plastic clips snapped and another because they were loose in the wheel.

The genuine badges on the Z4 are still spotless, fit perfectly and look right :thumbsup:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am

R.E92 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am Get the proper ones from BMW if you are going to keep the car for a while. I bought a set of wheel caps last month for £35.

eBay badges are good if the car is a shed or are only planning on keeping it for a few months. On my 3 series, which is just a work mule, I've been through 2 sets of eBay wheel caps and 2 bonnet badges. All of them last around 6 months to a year before going rusty or fading. The recent hot spell turned the bonnet badge brown so I've just stumped up for buying the real thing again. The eBay badges can also fit poorly, I had to return one set because the plastic clips snapped and another because they were loose in the wheel.

The genuine badges on the Z4 are still spotless, fit perfectly and look right :thumbsup:
You obviously had better luck with your centre hubs from BMW than me, the last genuine set I Had lasted 3 years and then looked like someone had put glue around the edges, if you go for a more upmarket replacement (£10 -£12 a set as I said), they are fine, fit perfect and last as long as the OEM ones
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

R.E92

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by R.E92 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 am

RustyZ4 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am
R.E92 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 am Get the proper ones from BMW if you are going to keep the car for a while. I bought a set of wheel caps last month for £35.

You obviously had better luck with your centre hubs from BMW than me, the last genuine set I Had lasted 3 years and then looked like someone had put glue around the edges, if you go for a more upmarket replacement (£10 -£12 a set as I said), they are fine, fit perfect and last as long as the OEM ones
That was a known fault with the BMW ones, they revised the design. They should replace that under parts warranty.

Hellequin

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by Hellequin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 pm

thanks for the advice chaps. One of mine disappeared!
59 plate sDrive23i 2.5

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by flybobbie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm

I have some nice one's, but 3 years on they are starting to go. They are hard plastic like the bonnet or boot badge, rather than cheap enamelled tin plate.
Don't buy this type
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-68mm-BMW ... 0005.m1851

Note the tin plate badge held on with tabs.
First winters salt they corrode.

I nearly modified the old centre cap to accept new side badges as they were far higher quality, but slightly bigger diameter.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Wheel centre caps 18"

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am

At the moment I have gel type stick on badges on the wheel centres as the aftermarket wheels will not accept the 68mm ones.
Only been on since the beginning of the year and are still ok so far.
They look good except that the chrome parts of the original badge are grey on these but realistically nobody is that close to the wheels to see.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)