Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Main reason for z

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Vbstein

Main reason for z

Post by Vbstein » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 pm

I used to own a z4 2.0 e85, that car made love the BMW brand and actually enjoy driving as whole as before I used to drive a honda civic as my first car. However I always felt like as if I had the inferior engine as it being the slowest of all the Bmw z4s. (Still faster than 85% of other cars out on the road in my opinion) So after I sold my z4 2.0i I had other cars but I always missed my old car but I didn’t miss any other car I had previously.

So after watching many youtube videos I wanted to get back into an E85 but this like the one which clive drove during the Bmw promo videos. Which I now have a 3.0i e85 2003 with 62K in grey which I am slowly restoring to its former glory. (Last owner was a plum)

So I bought mine because I like all BMW Z4s and I think its great car for looks and making you enjoy the drive.

However I am not sold on the new Z4 G29 as it kind of reminds me of 6 series coupe, maybe it should be called the z6 instead.
BMW Z4 3.0I is old but not obsolete.

Beeacon

Main reason for z

Post by Beeacon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm

For my first car I bought a BMW Z3 2.8 in the original shape as I wanted something rear wheel drive, didn't want to ferry mates around, and the insurance was cheaper than all the typical 'first cars' people get. I think the insurance was cheaper because I couldn't hurt as many people if I crashed :rofl:

I kept that for 5 years, using it as a daily driver for a few of them before it became a weekend car due to a different commute. With a change of job and wanting to change the Z3 to something with a bit more power, mod-cons, auto/semi-auto for standing traffic, a tin top, and to retain most of it's value over the next few years. So now I have a 35i DCT and have absolutely fallen in love with it. So much so that I'm eyeing up a 335i DCT for my girlfriend's next car.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

extaz

Main reason for z

Post by extaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:00 pm

Temporary Insanity
Was looking for a nice 2 series with track package or equivalent new or low mileage 4 cyl turbo for some occasional tracking and autocross. Came across the like new E89 35i for the same price. I was seduced by the power, upscale image and driving a sport roadster again.

AveZ4coop

Main reason for z

Post by AveZ4coop » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Looking for a Nissan 350Z, had been looking for several weeks when I forgot to put the Nissan filter on autotrader. One look at the Z4 coupe and all thoughts of a Nissan disappeared in a puff of smoke. The coupe has such lovely classic lines and a beautiful engine. Looked for 3-4 months until I found the car I wanted. Nearly a year later the coop still puts a smile on my face when I look at it, and driving it is still the closest thing to sex with my clothes on. :oops:
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

Hunter

Main reason for z

Post by Hunter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 am

My choice was out of E89,a slk 55, an S class and Range Rover sport hst. All very different but after giving up the tvr I wanted a car I could use as a daily an not have to have two cars. It had to feel special, look great, be quick enough to entertain, it also had to have nav, Bluetooth and auto. I decided the car that ticked the boxes was a 35is and I looked for one with colours that I liked. I spoke to the dealer and got an average trade in but a good price on the z.... deal done and I’m very pleased.
E89 S Drive 35iS

Chris1712

Main reason for z

Post by Chris1712 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am

Tbh there's not much competition in the sector! A real shame the state of the 'sports car' at the moment. I really didn't want 3 BMWs in a row, but I had little other choice.

370z - Find the styling a bit too chunky, didn't feel special enough to drive. No occasion, boring interior.
SLK - Just crap all round. Honestly what is this thing? Boring engines apart from the overpriced AMG, terrible build quality, boring interior, fat chassis.
Boxster - I only really wanted a 981, which meant upping my budget from 20-25k to really 25-30k. I was OK with this, because it is that bit better than the Z4 and will hold it's money. However, buying one is a bloody nightmare! The spec on them is so haphazard, so many out there without basic necessities let alone the ones you want (PSE, PASM, Chrono). I just gave up.
C63 - Really still fancy one of these, but at the time I was driving 15k pa so the fuel put me off.
C6 Corvette- As above, and very hard to buy.

Z4 35iS - Bags of character, sounds incredible, looks great and feels special. Also come with great spec as standard, easy to buy, easy to run, cheap to maintain / warranty. Ticks all the boxes AND is a great occasion to drive. Such a shame they forgot to stick an M badge on it, still don't understand that :poke:
Pure Traction 35iS - Sold!
Carbon Black E86 3.0si Coupe - Gone but not forgotten

Zed Baron

Main reason for z

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am

I remember seeing an E89 on the road and just stopping to look at it (must of been just after they had been launched) and thinking what a beautiful car, looks good with the roof up or down. I have another couple of cars so the BMW was only something to use at the weekend, the 23i suited the bill. It may not be the fastest but it has its wee cheeky moments!

javis20

Main reason for z

Post by javis20 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 pm

Head turning extravagance and fun to drive.

SteveSmith

Main reason for z

Post by SteveSmith » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Wanted a TT after having a mk1 TT years ago, stumbled across the advert for mine and the colour combo / spec intrigued me (always loved the look of an m Sport e89 in white with the 19” m326’s) so went for a look.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

ihadablackdog

Main reason for z

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Mine's a slightly more depressing reason...

Had a new 20i back in 2012 but after 2 years I had to let it go due to various reasons. My wife loved the roof down, especially on a cold winter night! And the heated seats.....often I had to take her for a drive so she could ease her bad back with the heated seat!!!!

Had several cars since, but always missed my Z4.

My wife now has terminal cancer (albeit they say years, not months) and I decided to get another Z4 to re-live those good times and make new memories. Intend to travel, probably not Europe, but we do have a soft spot for Stirling and surrounding area, so might travel up there (from Devon). Interested in the travel luggage recently discussed in another thread, but haven't investigated further.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Main reason for z

Post by Busterboo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm

Main reason? I think it was because, as an ardent feminist, I was looking for a car designed by a woman. Then I discovered the E89 was designed by two!

Alternatively, it might have been that, never having had one, I fancied a cabriolet and, because I carry guns, I needed one with a metal roof.

I can't remember which, but it was a good choice. :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 pm Main reason? I think it was because, as an ardent feminist, I was looking for a car designed by a woman. Then I discovered the E89 was designed by two!

Alternatively, it might have been that, never having had one, I fancied a cabriolet and, because I carry guns, I needed one with a metal roof.

I can't remember which, but it was a good choice. :wink:
What sort of guns do you carry Buster?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Hunter

Main reason for z

Post by Hunter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:41 am

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm Mine's a slightly more depressing reason...

Had a new 20i back in 2012 but after 2 years I had to let it go due to various reasons. My wife loved the roof down, especially on a cold winter night! And the heated seats.....often I had to take her for a drive so she could ease her bad back with the heated seat!!!!

Had several cars since, but always missed my Z4.

My wife now has terminal cancer (albeit they say years, not months) and I decided to get another Z4 to re-live those good times and make new memories. Intend to travel, probably not Europe, but we do have a soft spot for Stirling and surrounding area, so might travel up there (from Devon). Interested in the travel luggage recently discussed in another thread, but haven't investigated further.
So sorry to hear this, I know there is no good outcome, but I hope the car helps give you the memories and experiences that you both hope for. If you get up near Stirling and take the Callander road..check out a village called Killin, beautiful place.
E89 S Drive 35iS

ihadablackdog

Main reason for z

Post by ihadablackdog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 am

Thanks. When we went before we went to loads of places but I cant remember the names now.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

Busterboo

Main reason for z

Post by Busterboo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:39 pm What sort of guns do you carry Buster?
Rob
Nothing menacing, Rob. Just shotguns for clay pigeon shooting.

That said, they need to be in a secure vehicle when in transit.
Vidi, vici, veni