Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Main reason for z

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Hunter

Main reason for z

Post by Hunter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:22 am

What was your main reason or buying your Z? Brand loyalty, exterior looks, performance, interior ergonomics, etc, why did you choose the particular model ie 23, 28, 35 etc, was it transmission engine or equipment and what alternatives did you rule out or consider, slk, tt etc
E89 S Drive 35iS

Keet

Main reason for z

Post by Keet » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:45 am

My wife always wanted a Mercedes SL from being a child. So she decided that as a retirement gift/toy she would buy herself an SLK. While out looking at SLK's we saw an e89, she was becoming more unimpressed with the styling of the newer SLK's and up to that point we'd never realised that the Z4 came with a hard top.

Safe to say that she fell for the Z4 straight away. From that point it was just a case of listing the options she wanted and finding the car that had as many of them in. As it was an upgrade from a 1.3 Yaris, she felt that the 20i was a big enough step up in performance.

I think given the chance she'd probably have a Z3, as well as the Z4, and the Yaris! :D
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:45 am

The look and the fact it was a hard top, but couldn't afford anything above 23i manual at the time i purchased.

R.E92

Main reason for z

Post by R.E92 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am

My main criteria was something fast under £20k that looks good and with a minimum of 5 cylinders. 5 years ago the E89 35i was the only thing that fitted my needs.

The TTRS was way out of budget and the TTS is a lowly 4 cylinder. The new SLK was ruled out because the non AMG models were too slow and the AMG version was way out of budget. Also the automatic transmission is anything but sporty in the SLK.

I did also consider the 370Z but owner reviews quickly ruled that out. It was hard to find a person that sang it's praise!

I spent a lot of time looking at Caymans but got frustrated with the lack of simple necessities like AUX input (something which even the most basic cars offered as standard equipment). Also IMS failures and bore scoring on the S model made it a risky choice for doing high mileage in. It was only by chance that I came across the Z4, I was torn between the E86 M Coupe and the E89 for a while.

The E89 just pipped the M due to the extra power available, extra leg room and comfort.

brillomaster

Main reason for z

Post by brillomaster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 am

there was a very recent thread asking exactly the same question... answers probably haven't changed much!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107926

JamiesZ4

Main reason for z

Post by JamiesZ4 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:00 am

For our first Z4 it started with my wife fancying something a bit sportier than the usual saloons and hatchbacks, short list was an Audi TT or Merc SLK. We went to the Audi dealer and the sales staff at the dealer couldn't be bothered to organise for us to test the TT until the following week so we decided to move on headed to a BMW dealer (on the way to a Merc garage) to check out what they had. Wife and I fell in love with the Z4 as well as an M3 and so decided to buy both cars and that was that (bad luck Audi!).

Over time and with my granddaughter making an appearance and change of job, the first Z4 went along with the M3 and we settled on a 330ci, till recently when I had the opportunity to get my current Z4. Second time around the main reason was I just love that classic long bonnet, short boot, almost sitting on the rear wheels that so few cars offer these days.
Current - E89 Z4 SDrive 3.0i - last of the normally aspirated six cylinders
Gone - E85 Z4 2.2 SE

djstan

Main reason for z

Post by djstan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:32 am

When the E89 was first launched, I always liked the different nature of the interior.

When the time came to change my car I was in a real dilemma what to get, but being newly single I thought "sod it" and started looking at 2 seaters, and remembered the Z4.

I had a test drive in a 28i which was 'OK' but then the dealer went and got a 35i that had just come in, went for a spin in it and that was the point that I was completely hooked!
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by jabber » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am

My reason was basically getting a newer and more comfortable update to the e85 I was finding the e85 a bit uncomfortable as I got older, the e89 is not a sporty more of a cruser I would say
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

I liked my e85 3.0si but wanted a newer car, the cheaper running costs of the 20i were just an added bonus :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Frankie169

Main reason for z

Post by Frankie169 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am

Purely a toy, I drive around 25000 miles in a rep mobile every year and the last thing I want to do of a weekend is to get back in my office!!!!

I now have an elderly father (94) in the Midlands so spending a couple of weekends a month going to visit him in the said Rep mobile (grrrrr) or my Ducati (not good for the winter) so though I would buy an E89 just to put a shine on weekend driving again
Toys: Z4 E89 35i in Blue / Ducati Multistrada 1260 DVT + love my watches

sunnydays

Main reason for z

Post by sunnydays » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am

R.E92 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am My main criteria was something fast under £20k that looks good and with a minimum of 5 cylinders. 5 years ago the E89 35i was the only thing that fitted my needs.

The TTRS was way out of budget and the TTS is a lowly 4 cylinder. The new SLK was ruled out because the non AMG models were too slow and the AMG version was way out of budget. Also the automatic transmission is anything but sporty in the SLK.

I did also consider the 370Z but owner reviews quickly ruled that out. It was hard to find a person that sang it's praise!

I spent a lot of time looking at Caymans but got frustrated with the lack of simple necessities like AUX input (something which even the most basic cars offered as standard equipment). Also IMS failures and bore scoring on the S model made it a risky choice for doing high mileage in. It was only by chance that I came across the Z4, I was torn between the E86 M Coupe and the E89 for a while.

The E89 just pipped the M due to the extra power available, extra leg room and comfort.
Pretty similar criteria to me haha! I looked at similar cars. The Porsches standard level of equipment is woeful! The 370Z Nismo is a fantastic car but a totally different experience. More of an old school classic sports car feel, no where near as fast as a 35is though especially when mapped!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:10 am

About 7 or 8 years ago we were looking to change our Hyundai Coupe for something.
We looked at a couple of E85s and they were always tatty looking and not prepped for sale. Test drove 2 E85s and an SLK at this time and they didnt do it for us. TTs arnt that good looking and never got a look in.
One of the car garages we went to had an E89 which we had never seen before and thought it looked amazing.
To cut a long story short the E89 was too expensive at the time and we decided that it would be worth waiting for this instead of the soft top E85. We bought a Mini Cooper in the meantime to save a bit of cash.
Fast forward a few years and we were looking for a Z4 and after looking around at all the models and what we had for our budget we found one car that suited us, a black with black leather M sport manual E89 Z4 23i with fairly low miles.
At this point we never considered any other car as it was a Z4 we wanted.
This month we will have had it for 5 years and other than services, tyres, brakes the only issue we have had is the e-brake fault that was sorted with a new battery and a software update.
I dont have brand loyalty and always thought BMWs were not worth the money, until I actually drove one.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Yorkie Z

Main reason for z

Post by Yorkie Z » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am

340bhp rear wheel drive, LSD. Need I say more :driving:
A Dirty M///

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by Jembo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm

My wife bought me a yellow flowered Magnolia tree for my last birthday... (something she had been saying she wanted only a few weeks before)

Miffed was an immense understatement...

With money in the Bank, the perfect //M I’d always wanted suddenly appearing on the scene the deal was sealed...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Main reason for z

Post by firebobby » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Wasn't looking for another car at the time, but this came along and I love it. 6 cyl engine, leather, wood and a whippy....bliss
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981